Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2021, 04:44 PM   #1

Question Looking at an R-Pod > newbie questions

Hi all,

So I'm looking at a 2011 R-Pod 173t. We haven't seen it yet but the owner says it's in good condition: no accidents, electrical, mechanics and plumbing all good. It has new tires (d load).

The ad and pix aren't super detailed. I've asked about options and he says there is standard stuff (battery, 30amp plug, dump hose) but it looks like there's also the microwave/convection oven. I can't tell if there's A/C or not. Also there's no awning.

So what else should I ask about? I can't find anything to compare it to so don't know if his price is high or a deal.

Is anyone familiar with this model and what they sell for currently?

Thanks - Joanne
jltait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 06:09 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jltait View Post
Hi all,

So I'm looking at a 2011 R-Pod 173t. We haven't seen it yet but the owner says it's in good condition: no accidents, electrical, mechanics and plumbing all good. It has new tires (d load).

The ad and pix aren't super detailed. I've asked about options and he says there is standard stuff (battery, 30amp plug, dump hose) but it looks like there's also the microwave/convection oven. I can't tell if there's A/C or not. Also there's no awning.

So what else should I ask about? I can't find anything to compare it to so don't know if his price is high or a deal.

Is anyone familiar with this model and what they sell for currently?

Thanks - Joanne
Be sure to look at the hybid-style rear canvas bunk end. The 173T is a Rpod hybrid TT and many owners don't do maintenance on the rear bunk end, especially the bunk door seals. If poorly maintained, serious water leaks can occur.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 06:35 PM   #3

As stated above on the canvas seals and the canvas itself. When closed it should be protected from the weather. It appears to have a small refer/ freezer on the drivers side but I don’t see any sign of a water heater. No bath so plan for facilities where you camp. In the few adds I looked at, none had an AC. They were advertised from 8-10000 dollars which is Covid pricing. Good luck.
Capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 06:55 PM   #4

My search turned up this for specs
https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2010-...-rp-173-tr6859

say the original HAD awning... NO AC

Awning to me is BASIC necessity

OEM pricing was $15K+ but usually most dealers would knock off 20-30%

Inspect the roof, bring a step ladder... crawl under look for repairs to the floor and soft spots indicating water leakage anywhere.

it also depends on WHERE in the country you are... west coast prices are much higher.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 07:27 PM   #5

That’s different than what I found.
https://www.smartrvguide.com/L52455084
There appears to be no way to put an awning on a curved side.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:17 PM   #6

Thanks for all the thoughts. Those are good considerations.

I did find a brochure here: https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/rpod2010.pdf

It indicates a water heater and toilet/shower. Also the awning was an option. We’re still be debating if we want to go this route.
Old 08-24-2021, 10:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capacitor View Post
That’s different than what I found.
https://www.smartrvguide.com/L52455084
There appears to be no way to put an awning on a curved side.
yours is probably right
again, for me no awning would kill the deal
so much you can do under the awning beside just rain and sun protection

It keeps our chairs dry from dew overnight and rain during the day... I can adjust it down low when it is cool and put the propane firepit under the awning which catches some heat under the awning on a cool night, you don't instantly get wet when walking out the door, you can hang a wet towel from the arms, you can string LED lights to provide low ambient lighting...

you can mount an awning on a popup and I guess the later models of r pod do have an awning

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 08-24-2021, 10:46 PM   #8

Thanks for all the good info. I found a brochure that says the awning was optional:

https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/rpod2010.pdf

I’ve seen them online but not cheap. Im not as worried about that as figuring out if it’s in good shape and not over priced. We have an extra awning for our pop up I could probably Gerry rig but that’s for another thread. lol
Old 08-25-2021, 01:47 PM   #9

I 'Googled' it as well and found this: https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2011/...4114369/Values
BOREAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 04:14 PM   #10

Unfortunately it was sold before we could go see it. Thanks for all the input. I'm going to keep looking for another one.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:35 AM   #11

Don't delay once you find one. They fly off the lot as soon as the dealers get them. In fact, the dealer I go through had no R-Pods (and very few other campers) on his lot because they're snapped up so quickly. I had to order my 196 from the factory sight unseen; that was back in early June and I'm still waiting for it to arrive.
TheBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
Don't delay once you find one. They fly off the lot as soon as the dealers get them...
Definitely have learned that lesson. Unfortunately, that's really the only model that interests us and they only made them for a couple of years. I'll keep trolling the classifieds but I think I missed the boat, as it were.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:45 PM   #13

What do you have for a tow vehicle? We may have some alternatives.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:56 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Not sure if I've ever seen another hybrid TT, like the 173T.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 08-26-2021, 09:05 PM   #15

Quote:
We have a 2008 Subaru Forester. We're looking at a Trail Cruiser C17F now...
Old 08-26-2021, 10:00 PM   #16

Quote:
hard to find these days but a popup sounds like it is in your weight range rather than a trailer with a large frontal area and a heavy tongue weight... the large frontal area is hard to drag thru the air at highway speeds.

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 08-26-2021, 10:07 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Have you actually looked into how much that car is rated to tow??
According to the internet, only 2400lbs! So no full height trailer and neither the Rpod or the Trail Cruiser will work.

"All five trim levels of the 2008 Subaru Forester maintain a maximum towing capacity of*2,400 pounds. As New Car Test Drive explains, that's "enough for personal watercraft or a snowmobile but not enough for a car trailer or weightier boat."

You'll have a difficult time even finding a popup that has a GVWR under 2,400lbs.
I'm afraid only something like a small teardrop trailer is appropriate.
Old 08-27-2021, 09:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
hard to find these days but a popup sounds like it is in your weight range rather than a trailer with a large frontal area and a heavy tongue weight... the large frontal area is hard to drag thru the air at highway speeds.
We have a popup. I'm done with that style of trailer. I want something easier to set up and tear down, and has a loo. I figure I'm only keeping the Forester for a couple of more years and then I'll give it my kid and upgrade to an Outback that can tow more. I don't drive daily so I really don't want anything bigger.

There are a couple of brands out there that have ultralight TTs but they're very $$ (Prolite and Safari Condo). I was hoping to find a less popular one but am having trouble with weights. The trailer models seem to get heavier every year and the smaller/lighter models get dropped. Does everyone drive a v6 or a pickup? Makes no sense to me.

Anyway, thanks for the input.
Old 08-27-2021, 02:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Does everyone drive a v6 or a pickup? Makes no sense to me
YES they do or a SUV with a V-6 that is rated to tow up to 5-6,000#...

also makes a big difference if you are pulling in the mountains or flat land like FL...

It is the BIG surface area like pulling a bill board at 60 MPH that make it tough for smaller cars to tow big trailers.

Watch or attempt to watch some of this guy's video in his smaller car and camper. He will comment about the limitations of his tow vehicle at times... Currently he tows with a pickup. I found it to be very entertaining.

https://youtu.be/3rJZiKZlNWU

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 08-27-2021, 03:39 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
We have a popup. I'm done with that style of trailer. I want something easier to set up and tear down, and has a loo. I figure I'm only keeping the Forester for a couple of more years and then I'll give it my kid and upgrade to an Outback that can tow more. I don't drive daily so I really don't want anything bigger.

There are a couple of brands out there that have ultralight TTs but they're very $$ (Prolite and Safari Condo). I was hoping to find a less popular one but am having trouble with weights. The trailer models seem to get heavier every year and the smaller/lighter models get dropped. Does everyone drive a v6 or a pickup? Makes no sense to me.

Anyway, thanks for the input.
Well as I said, with a towing capacity of only 2400lbs, you will always be very limited in choices. A small car with a 4 cylinder engine is generally not built for towing.
Yes you need a 6 cylinder at minimum, to tow full height trailers. It's the air resistance that the drivetrain has to overcome, more than weight. Your car isn't capable.
Yes, the RV Industry is building heavier trailers because that's what buyers are demanding. They want more bells and whistles than previous consumers. Plus they don't make much on bare-bones small trailers. That's why you're finding only boutique builders, like Prolite and Safari, making them.

Tags
newbie, question, questions, r-pod