Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2022, 08:26 PM   #1

Looking at RP-178 for family of four

Hey guys,

I am considering getting a light weight trailer for my family of four including 2 teenage girls, this will be our first trailer and a big upgrade from tent camping.

Looking at the RP-177/178 with queen bed, and U-dinette which converts to another bed for two.

I understand Rpod is generally used for couple or small families, but would like to hear feedback from ppl. with older kids.

In terms of TV, I will be pulling with a Honda Pilot (up to 5000lbs towing capacity with transmission cooler), and looking to get WDH, brake controller and a backup camera.

Thanks a lot.
renhui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by renhui View Post
Hey guys,

I am considering getting a light weight trailer for my family of four including 2 teenage girls, this will be our first trailer and a big upgrade from tent camping.
I have a Rpod 178. I generally travel alone. I think it would be good for a couple. However for a family of 4 including 2 teenagers i think you would be cramped and uncomfortable. I guess it would be ok if you spent most of your time outside.

I would want something with more space and storage area.
lgharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:15 PM   #3

We have a 178 for the two of us. I think the 178 would not be a good choice for a family of 4. You will hate having to convert the dinette to a bed every night. There isn't much storage in the 178 so four peoples worth of clothing and accessories will have to stay in the tow vehicle. No privacy curtains either. We ended upgrading the foam cushions in the dinette so that it makes a reasonably comfortable bed and provides better seating if you are sitting around the dinette playing games.. The stock foam is way too soft. The u-shaped dinette looks cool with the curved corner cushions but is really impractical for 4 people -- the table legs get in the way.

I would suggest looking at other models.
RC Touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 11:10 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Touring View Post
We have a 178 for the two of us. I think the 178 would not be a good choice for a family of 4. You will hate having to convert the dinette to a bed every night. There isn't much storage in the 178 so four peoples worth of clothing and accessories will have to stay in the tow vehicle. No privacy curtains either. We ended upgrading the foam cushions in the dinette so that it makes a reasonably comfortable bed and provides better seating if you are sitting around the dinette playing games.. The stock foam is way too soft. The u-shaped dinette looks cool with the curved corner cushions but is really impractical for 4 people -- the table legs get in the way.

I would suggest looking at other models.
Especially two teenage girls.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 04:49 AM   #5

I'm with the rest, if the girls were say 5-10 prob be ok. Those that convert to a bed/table ect are not the best sleep conditions. I could just hear their complaints now. Now a couch that pulls out to a bed is slightly better. But they also need some type of added padding 3 in foam.
wildmanabe is offline   Reply With Quote