Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2019, 08:26 PM   #21

If you only need the truck to get the R-pod to the place you're going to park it, why not pay the dealer or someone with a proper truck/brake controller to move it for you??

Then you don't have a hassle selling a car/buying a truck.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
If you only need the truck to get the R-pod to the place you're going to park it, why not pay the dealer or someone with a proper truck/brake controller to move it for you??

Then you don't have a hassle selling a car/buying a truck.
The truck is not a bad idea for my work--but not entirely necessary. It is the R-pod that is the necessary piece to this puzzle. Once on the property I may need to move it a few times upon the property. This is a may or may not scenario. Again, more of a reason to have a truck--but not entirely necessary.

I really do not know anyone that has a truck with the proper set-up. I was not sure if the dealer would deliver it but it seems that this is a common practice as it has been mentioned several times now? So this is something that is fairly common then?

Are there people for hire that would do this sort of thing if the dealer cannot? Where can they be found?

Again, my continued thanks for all of the help that is being given to me. I really do appreciate all of it.
divinewillhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:49 PM   #23
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinewillhermit View Post
Thank you everyone for helping out so far. I have learned a lot in the few hours that you have all posted your replies. Please keep them coming.

So that I understand things so far: when buying the truck ask for the bill sheet (I know what that is--used to have an old 1970 SS Chevelle and that confirmed it was an SS, showed me the original color, etc.) because the bill sheet will show whether the truck has a brake controller or not.

If the truck DOES NOT have a brake controller then it is not necessarily a deal breaker for the truck, correct? I would simply need to buy one and have one installed at the dealer where I am getting the R-pod. Yes?

I had planned on getting the truck Tuesday and the R-pod Thursday God willing. But I may need to do more homework.

What other concerns do you all see (going back to my original or first few posts)?
Simple way to confirm if truck equip with brake controller is call the dealer and ask them if the truck is equip with one.
If not two options one have dealer where you are purchasing truck do the install and try to make a deal with them on the install. 2nd where you are buying the camper they can install and here again try to make a deal where they pay for install. Lots of options. Good luck on your purchases and thanks for your service. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:03 PM   #24

What is so special about the R-Pod? Could you not find a slightly used trailer that has more room for less cost?

To answer a question, yes, there are people that you can hire to move a trailer - I had a 38ft 5th wheel moved for a case of beer and a bottle of whiskey. I see ads in the $50 to $100 range to move RVs. Just about anyone with a truck/syv and hitch could move 3800 lbs a short distance on the property.

Thank you for your service from an old submarine vet. Good luck!!

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:35 AM   #25

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question and share your advice and experience. I was actually thinking the same thing when I also looked at I believe a 2016 Silverado. I may have to revisit the Silverado.

Thank you for thanking me for my service. I thank God for giving me the courage to have served. God bless you.
I see you linked the truck you’re looking at. I’m not sure of your financial situation but here’s a Silverado on their lot WITH a trailer brake controller and it’s something that could easily pull the Rpod as it sits for a bit more money:

https://www.jimbrownechevybuickgmc.c...-FL/3353534713

Just a thought if you were thinking if going that route.
Past:
2001 Starcraft Spaceliner PU
1987 Starcraft Nova PU
Miweber929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Simple way to confirm if truck equip with brake controller is call the dealer and ask them if the truck is equip with one.
If not two options one have dealer where you are purchasing truck do the install and try to make a deal with them on the install. 2nd where you are buying the camper they can install and here again try to make a deal where they pay for install. Lots of options. Good luck on your purchases and thanks for your service. Later RJD
Thank you for your reply and for your advice. I am emailing numerous dealers in the area today to ask these exact same questions--so thank you.

I thank God for the courage to serve. God bless you sir.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:36 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
What is so special about the R-Pod? Could you not find a slightly used trailer that has more room for less cost?

To answer a question, yes, there are people that you can hire to move a trailer - I had a 38ft 5th wheel moved for a case of beer and a bottle of whiskey. I see ads in the $50 to $100 range to move RVs. Just about anyone with a truck/syv and hitch could move 3800 lbs a short distance on the property.

Thank you for your service from an old submarine vet. Good luck!!
I am open to any suggestions that you might have. In the research I have done so far the bigger the travel trailer the more numerous the beds. I do not have need for more than 1 sleeping space. Actually I wish that the R-pod had the option to have a twin size bed or even a full size instead of the queen. But if you can direct me to travel trailers with more space but still only 1 sleeping area then I will be happy to look at them.

Where do you see these ads for people to move RV's? Here on this forum? Please show me where I can go to find one in my area. Thank you. God bless you.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:46 AM   #28

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question and share your advice and experience. I was actually thinking the same thing when I also looked at I believe a 2016 Silverado. I may have to revisit the Silverado.

Thank you for thanking me for my service. I thank God for giving me the courage to have served. God bless you.
I have a 16 GMC Canyon 6 cly 6 speed. Same truck. I love it. I bought it because it is very comfortable and a big plus is parking. The days of large parking spaces are long gone. It will handle your Rpod very well and without a brake controller. I haul a 6 x 12 utility trailer with a 1100# trike motorcycle inside with a lot of other crap to Pittsfield MA for 2 years now with no break controller and no problems. I will tell you will only get 13 mpg will towing. I get 22 while not towing.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I have a 16 GMC Canyon 6 cly 6 speed. Same truck. I love it. I bought it because it is very comfortable and a big plus is parking. The days of large parking spaces are long gone. It will handle your Rpod very well and without a brake controller. I haul a 6 x 12 utility trailer with a 1100# trike motorcycle inside with a lot of other crap to Pittsfield MA for 2 years now with no break controller and no problems. I will tell you will only get 13 mpg will towing. I get 22 while not towing.
Hello sir and thank you for taking the time to reply to me. So you do not have any sort of species of a brake controller whatsoever?

Like you I was thinking of the Canyon/Colorado because of parking spaces, maneuverability on the road, etc.

Can you tell me anything else--seeing as numerous others have told me I have to have a brake controller?

I thank you for your time and your advice.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
OP says the Rpod weighs 3800 lbs. Florida requires trailer brakes >3000 lbs. So to be legal, he needs a brake controller.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:08 PM   #31
Citrus County, Fl.

First of all, thank you for your service !!

Since you are somewhere near Dade City, I would guess the R-Pod you are looking at is at America Choice RV either in Ocala or Winter Garden if you are buying new. You may not be aware of this but they were bought out by Camping World and are operating under the same name. Be very careful if this is the case as they tack on fees you should not have to pay like a delivery fee to their dealership and charging you for a pre-delivery inspection. Also, if you need any service they will keep it on their lot for 3 months which is not an option if you are going to live in it at your work place.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:10 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
OP says the Rpod weighs 3800 lbs. Florida requires trailer brakes >3000 lbs. So to be legal, he needs a brake controller.
Yes I certainly want to be legal. Obedience to the law for sure. I understand and remember this previous post; but momentarily had forgotten it when I replied to the other post. Sorry about that. Yes, I do need the brake controller to be legal--which I want to be and will be.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:13 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
First of all, thank you for your service !!

Since you are somewhere near Dade City, I would guess the R-Pod you are looking at is at America Choice RV either in Ocala or Winter Garden if you are buying new. You may not be aware of this but they were bought out by Camping World and are operating under the same name. Be very careful if this is the case as they tack on fees you should not have to pay like a delivery fee to their dealership and charging you for a pre-delivery inspection. Also, if you need any service they will keep it on their lot for 3 months which is not an option if you are going to live in it at your work place.
Thank you for thanking me for my service. I thank God for giving me the courage.

You are very astute and I am finding out the same things that you have just posted here. So I am researching alternative dealers. I have read a lot of negative things about America Choice/Camping World.

I found this place. It is farther but do you know anything about them?

https://www.gerzenysrvworld.com/inve...Max_years=2020
Old 01-13-2019, 12:51 PM   #34

Quote:
I am open to any suggestions that you might have. In the research I have done so far the bigger the travel trailer the more numerous the beds. I do not have need for more than 1 sleeping space. Actually I wish that the R-pod had the option to have a twin size bed or even a full size instead of the queen. But if you can direct me to travel trailers with more space but still only 1 sleeping area then I will be happy to look at them.

Where do you see these ads for people to move RV's? Here on this forum? Please show me where I can go to find one in my area. Thank you. God bless you.

Just about any pull behind I can think of will have either a dinette and/or a couch that will make into a bed if one wants. As for quotes to move trailers, I see them occasionally in RV parks but I would think a dealer would have access to some names of people that can move a trailer. I'd call around. I suppose one could advertise on craigslist.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:52 PM   #35
Citrus County, Fl.

Not familiar with them but you may want to check Register Chevrolet RV if you live anywhere near Brooksville. They don't carry the R-Pod but do have the Flagstaff E-pro and Micro-lite. If you call, ask for Max. The only charge sales tax, tag and title plus a $500 dealer fee. I also know they will deliver for you.

Here is a link to one of the micro-lites they have.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...BED-5002453654
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:56 PM   #36

I do not want to be the guy who says don't buy that buy this instead. I will in this instance suggest you might want to consider looking at the Forest River Surveyor's the latest site you referenced. There is one that is not much bigger or heavier than the R-pod. It has one bed but has two axles (easier to tow). More importantly it has a slide out which will increase your living comfort
DASchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #37

Just a few thoughts...

You said you may need to move your trailer around on your work site. Just about ANY vehicle with a hitch should be able to handle that - even your current car. You really only need brakes out on public roads. Do the folks you work with have trucks? For just a site move, they may do it for you. Most dealers move smaller trailers around on their lots with a small tractor or a Bobcat. If the land is flat and solid, a golf cart might do the job if it had a hitch! Only issue would be hauling up big grades or wet and muddy ground. Also, if you post a request for help on this site, you may find someone local to you who would be willing to assist, I know I would, given enough notice (especially if you offered a beer or two! ).

If you get your own truck and tow it to your site. You can probably do that with a simple hitch ball (you don't need weight distribution or sway control). Just drive relatively slow - stay off the expressways. Keep your speed down - say under 45 or so. Probability of sway increases with speed.

If you end up using Camping World - DO NOT FINANCE thru them - use a credit union or bank. CW loves to finance for 30 years to keep payments low. If you do that, your trailer will be worth less than the loan balance for a LONG time. Keep any loans to as short a duration as you can!

Good luck to you whichever way you go.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #38
Just as confused as you

divinewillhermit, welcome to the forum.

The picture in post #6 shows you have the factory tow package. The covers to the left of the license plate holder is the connector, there is two spring loaded flaps. The upper flap covers the 7-pin trailer umbilical socket, the lower flap covers the 4-pin socket for smaller trailers. On these covers there is a connection diagram for each one (pic #2).

If you have the factory installed brake controller it will be on the dash and look like pic #1.

Also, in the end of the gear shift lever there will be a button for tow/haul mode.

All of this info is covered in your Colorado owners manual. If you don't have the manual you can download it from the internet.

Since 2017 RPO Codes are no longer listed on a sticker in the vehicle. You can get a copy specific to your vehicle by the email address below. If you email on a weekday you can expect to receive a reply within 30 minutes to 2 days depending on how busy they are. I received mine in 36 minutes. It will list the RPO code and the description for each code.

socialmedia@gm.com
Attention : Anthony build sheet request (place VIN here).
Thank you, (signature)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Factory Brake Controller.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	194514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Umbilical Connections 2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	194515  
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:31 PM   #39

The dealer should be able to give you a build sheet.

Old 01-13-2019, 03:37 PM   #40
Just as confused as you

Another thing I forgot to add, there will be 2 stickers on the driver side door pillar that you need to pay attention to. See the pics attached for examples.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Axle Weight Rating.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	194519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire & Loading.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	324.4 KB
ID:	194520  
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote