Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
LarryM158

Send a message via Yahoo to lorocon158
New R-Pod

New to the world of RV'ing. Just bought a R POD 178 & anxiously awaiting our first trip in the early spring. Will try it out in our driveway first. My wife & I have travelled across the country several times on our motorcycles. It is now time to travel across the US in a little comfort with a roof over our heads.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums-Larry Murphy
lorocon158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:24 PM   #2

Congrats! Hopefully we will get a 179 soon!
CampingDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:55 PM   #3

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your R-Pod!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorocon158 View Post
New to the world of RV'ing. Just bought a R POD 178 & anxiously awaiting our first trip in the early spring. Will try it out in our driveway first. My wife & I have travelled across the country several times on our motorcycles. It is now time to travel across the US in a little comfort with a roof over our heads.
You will love the 178, it is a very popular floorplan amongst our owners! And so glad to have other driveway campers, you'll have to let us know how it goes. At some point in January we have a "driveway camping R-Pod" event of sorts.

Glad to have you and your wife out there Podding with us, I hope we get to meet you at some of the Pod Rallies in the future!
kymooses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #5

Hi all:
We just bought an RPod 171, towed it home and parked it for the winter. Haven't had a chance to use it yet. Waiting for late spring/summer.
Hit some heavy, heavy head winds for about 80km and really sucked up the gas. Might have to look at a bigger tow vehicle. Currently a 2010 Dodge Journey, 'should' be OK. Can't do much about those head winds though.

Gary & Linda S
Crowsnest Pass, Alberta
2020 RPod 195
Dodge Durango 3.6l AWD
Gary Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Linda View Post
Hi all:
We just bought an RPod 171, towed it home and parked it for the winter. Haven't had a chance to use it yet. Waiting for late spring/summer.
Hit some heavy, heavy head winds for about 80km and really sucked up the gas. Might have to look at a bigger tow vehicle. Currently a 2010 Dodge Journey, 'should' be OK. Can't do much about those head winds though.

Congratulations on your Pod, glad to have you with us.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:30 AM   #7

lorocon158, like you we do a lot of long distance traveling on our bikes, but comfort is not overrated!
Jester

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #8

R Pod 179

My wife and I are going to order a new 179. Does anyone no when they will start building the 2016 model? We spend the winter in Florida returning in May.we maybe should Waite for the 2016 insteD of getting the 2015 right now sense we won't be using it until spring.
pmorris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorris1 View Post
My wife and I are going to order a new 179. Does anyone no when they will start building the 2016 model? We spend the winter in Florida returning in May.we maybe should Waite for the 2016 insteD of getting the 2015 right now sense we won't be using it until spring.
2016 Model year Pods will be probably launched and changed over in or just before the 4th quarter of 2015.

As an example my 2011 Rpod was manufactured in the 4th quarter of 2010. It has followed that example each year with Pods.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:13 PM   #10

Thank you

Thank you for the info. I wondered because I read the new 179 was started last January sometime. I was thinking that maybe the 2016 might be this january.do you no if you can change out the TV that comes with the 179 to a larger size like maybe a 25 inch
Old 11-20-2014, 08:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Thank you for the info. I wondered because I read the new 179 was started last January sometime. I was thinking that maybe the 2016 might be this january.do you no if you can change out the TV that comes with the 179 to a larger size like maybe a 25 inch
The 179's that debuted last year were officially first announced at the Louisville RV show in December. Is it possible that there is some new model or design this year that might premier at the Louisville show in a few weeks? Possible but unlikely based on the current popularity of the 179. But either way they would still be 2015 model years.

As far as the TV, you might be able to do some sort of customization on a TV through your selling dealer but Forest River Rpod doesn't really have options on different TV's that they offer. I do know though that owners themselves have changed out to larger TV's, different ones, ones with more features etc. One thing 179 owners end up purchasing is a tiltable mount for their TVs that way they can angle the TV and watch it in bed.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:36 PM   #12

. Would the 179 come with a battery installed from the dealer, or would it be a dealer option? I am thinking about going to Ohio to buy from couch RV. If enough people have complained about the TV mount sense the 179 came out, you would think forest river would change the mount to a tilt mount. Is there any pod owners that have done business with couch RV in Ohio that would recommend them?
Old 11-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #13

Quote:
. Would the 179 come with a battery installed from the dealer, or would it be a dealer option? I am thinking about going to Ohio to buy from couch RV. If enough people have complained about the TV mount sense the 179 came out, you would think forest river would change the mount to a tilt mount. Is there any pod owners that have done business with couch RV in Ohio that would recommend them?
Your battery and full propane will be installed at the dealer. A LOT of our owners deal with Couchs and really do enjoy the experience and the cheaper prices. One thing you absolutely need to do first though, be sure you can find a local dealer or service center that is Forest River authorized and certified to do warranty work, and one that WILL do the warranty work on an R-Pod that you did not buy from them.

That is the only issue that always comes up with our owners who buy from some of these dealers who are no where near where they live. You'll be told you can get warranty work anywhere, and technically that is true, but it is up to the discretion of every single RV dealer whether or not they will service a unit that you did not buy from them. And if your local dealer sells R-Pods and that is where you want to get your warranty work done, you may encounter the issue that they will flat out say no.

What we end up with is owners who buy at Couchs then they drive back home 8 hours with their new Pod, camp one or two times and then maybe something leaks or something needs adjusting. Then all of a sudden they are stuck not being able to find a dealer to help them. Contact your local service providers first.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymooses View Post
That is the only issue that always comes up with our owners who buy from some of these dealers who are no where near where they live. You'll be told you can get warranty work anywhere, and technically that is true, but it is up to the discretion of every single RV dealer whether or not they will service a unit that you did not buy from them. And if your local dealer sells R-Pods and that is where you want to get your warranty work done, you may encounter the issue that they will flat out say no.

Note that this problem is not unique to RPods... This is the case for just about every make, model and manufacturer. I think it would be fair to say it is the #1 gripe about the industry.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 11-21-2014, 12:33 PM   #15

Thank you

Thank you kymosses for you info. Didn't think about traveling for warranty.couchs gave me a great price, but like new car dealers they want to charge you a dealer fee, what they call a document fee. I hate dealers that do this. Just another way to add money to the deal
Old 11-21-2014, 12:53 PM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Thank you kymosses for you info. Didn't think about traveling for warranty.couchs gave me a great price, but like new car dealers they want to charge you a dealer fee, what they call a document fee. I hate dealers that do this. Just another way to add money to the deal
When I negotiated with my dealers, I dealt solely on an "out of the door" price that included everything. I literally brought a check from the bank in that amount and not a penny more.

I didn't care what fees they put down to get to that number. In fact, the one that makes me laugh the most was an "Internet fee" for $5.00 - I guess because I emailed them.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #17

That's funny. Couch said they would discount there offer by the amount of the document fee, but they have to show the fee on the purchase order for legal reasons.there is no legal reason other than they put it on to make more money.I told them I would send them a check for the deposit to order the RV. They informed me no checks, money orders, or credit cards. You have to wire them the money, and they charge a 45.00 fee for that
Old 11-22-2014, 07:49 AM   #18

Quote:

Good luck with them.

You working with Brannon?
Old 11-22-2014, 08:13 AM   #19

We bought a 178 too this year. We love it We went out west this summer and have a two week trip planned the end of December. It so much better to stay in an rv campground for $50 a night than $130 at a hotel.
blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:43 AM   #20

We are working with Brian combs at couchs. We have a Rockwood HW 296 right now but we want to go back to an upright. Getting to hard for me to set up and take down a camper