RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-06-2020, 04:30 PM   #1

Propane quick-connect stove/grill shopping advice

Hi,

I'm really interested in shopping for an external stove AND grill that I can hook up to the propane quick-connect on the front of my 176. I've seen some units that have a grill box you can place on top of the stove - I'm curious how well those work. Not looking for anything more than the ability to burn hamburgers and hot dogs, griddle pancakes/bacon/eggs .

I'm also curious to know how people mount these kinds of stoves - wall, frame, hitch mount, or free-standing tables.

But what I really need to know is: what are the magic google search terms to find plug and play grills that will work with the quick-connect? How do I shop for these to see all my options?

I'm tired of lugging my coleman stove and 1lb propane bottles...

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2020, 09:32 PM   #2
Site Team

Camp Chef or Blackstone.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Camp Chef or Blackstone.
Ditto.

I go free standing. Currently I use a Weber Q for my BBQ and the Campchef Yukon 2 burner stove. This allows me to use a griddle, BBQ, and pot/pan at the same time. Once the Weber dies I will get the grill box for my Campchef.

The amount of heat from the Campchef compared to my cheapo Colman I bought 10 years ago is amazing. I cannot endorse the Campchef enough.

2020 Rockwood Roo 19
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:39 AM   #4

I bought a 17in Blackstone at Wal Mart and a 12ft hose online at amazon total investment less then 120 bucks, Works great, Sey it up on a table and let it roll.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:04 AM   #5
PhD, Common Sense

I connected a grill to my 178.

If your quick-connect is like mine, it is already regulated. Make sure the hose to the grill is not regulated. You will get virtually no gas to a double-regulated grill.

Watch out for connectors. There is no standard. I went to my local LP guy who fixed me up with matching connectors and an unregulated hose.

Mine is table-top. Since we bring a lot of light-weight tables with us, we usually move the picnic table and put the grill on it.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:50 AM   #6

I just got this one:
https://blackstoneproducts.com/colle...mbo-with-cover

Grille and griddle, free standing and they offer a kit to eliminate the regulator and run a hose. Have 30' 3/8" hose with quick connects, works great and folds up and slides into the pass through
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:53 AM   #7

I bought a used WeberQ including the folding cart from craigslist. like $20. Took off the regulator and added a fitting that matched the quick connect. $10 on amazon.
Now it uses the trailer's built-in regulator and works perfectly.
Big fan of the weber grills...

Charlie
Falconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
I just got this one:
https://blackstoneproducts.com/colle...mbo-with-cover

Grille and griddle, free standing and they offer a kit to eliminate the regulator and run a hose. Have 30' 3/8" hose with quick connects, works great and folds up and slides into the pass through
Can you tell me more about the kit to remove the regulator? Do you have a link to it?
Old 10-07-2020, 10:26 AM   #9

rshoemaker,

You mentioned a Coleman
I have the Coleman Roadtrip with a number of accessories I did not want to part with.

I took the advise of another poster and ordered parts from amazon to convert my Roadtrip grill to either accept 1# tanks or a hookup to the low pressure RV hose.

I ordered these parts shown below to accomplish that. You have to eliminate the regulator on the Roadtrip, or for that matter any grill that uses a regulator. BUT, using these parts you can reattach the regulator if using a 1# or propane tank.

I also made a wooden tray to hang on the side of the trailer that was large enough to hold the Roadtrip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brass parts.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	240703  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 03:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshoemaker View Post
Can you tell me more about the kit to remove the regulator? Do you have a link to it?

Here is the replacement control you need when you replace the regulated control value on a grill

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
merchjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 03:14 PM   #11

I took off the stock regulator of my Blackstone griddle and replaced it with an adjustable regulator with a new connector to the Blackstone. This regulator gives you ultimate control and you could get it too hot, so watch it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blackstone.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	240725  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 03:31 PM   #12

Like you said that you got tired with 1Lb. bottle. I was too until I ordered a propane hose to connect from my RV to my free standing grill and love it ever since. I ordered my from Amazon because my local dealer didn't have one long enough. If you are going to buy one from Amazon, check carefully with the information to get the right one that can connect to the RV and to the gas grill. My advice is not to get one less than a 16 footer because you will be happy to set the grill what ever you have to place it.
Stevevermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 03:56 PM   #13

I have a Camp Chef Explorer two burner stove, the companion Barbeque Box, an 8' low pressure connection hose and a set of Side Folding Shelves to provide extra preparation space. This ensemble sets up in a few minutes and connects to the low pressure quick connect fitting on the awning side of my trailer. I also have the griddle plate and flame arrester plate, plus carry bags for these and keep them stored in my pass through under the Murphy Bed of my trailer. Performance? Excellent heat control and convenience -- highly recommended.

2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304DS, 10K Equal-i-zer Hitch
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4WD 5.7L iForce V8
FROG Member since March 2017
McRabbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshoemaker View Post

The Blackstone comes with an adapter to use a one gallon disposable cylinder but they sell an adapter to use a separate 5 gallon cylinder like any other BBQ. That can then be adapted to a quick disconnect and plumbed into your trailer system. Most new trailers come with a stub out for this purpose near the rear of the coach.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:48 PM   #15

I have the grill that came with my Flagstaff. It has never been used, still in the original box. It is quick disconnect. I advertised it on this website and got a couple of nibbles. I'm asking $50 and you pay for shipping.
sdfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 07:27 PM   #16

I'm very happy with my Blackstone. When I needed the hoses to connect it to my trailer, I found Propane Gear to have what I needed at the best price.
https://propanegear.com/

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 07:31 PM   #17

We use a 17 inch Blackstone griddle as a grill/griddle. As a cook top, I purchased an indoor RV two-burner stove top off of Amazon. I then built a wood box for the stove, placed a gas hose on it and attach it to my on-board LPG quick-connect.
DanMistyMiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 07:46 PM   #18
Trailer Park Supervisor

I just throw an extra propane tank in my truck, and use it to connect my grill wherever i want (I use the GCI cook station to put grill on). I use same tank to hook up to my Coleman stove, and Outback fire pit. I have a hose that connects your standard 20 lb propane tank to devices that use disposable 1 lb tanks, was cheap and useful, plus seems to put out more heat than the 1lb tanks.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:52 PM   #19
Tundra 2014

Grill

3X- Camp Chef. What I really like about these is you can get an part you need. I have 1 that is going on 20 years that I have replaced grill grid, grease catch tray and several other parts. It is still working
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:03 PM   #20

I have a 22in. Blackstone. I like the two burners for faster heat. I use the trailer quick connect and a table though if I did it again I would get the table with adjustable legs and lid for about the same price. You will want to know that the griddles splatter a lot if you have it too close to the trailer so make sure itnisnat least 6in away or more.

I like the dual burner box but the camp chef offers one box to be griddle or grill so either the blackstone combo or the camp chef seems like a good idea.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grill, propane