Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2022, 03:37 PM   #1

R-Pod 153

We are contemplating purchasing a R-pod 153. We will be towing it with a GMC Canyon crew cab pickup. Do I need a weight distribution hitch/sway bars? If so what make and model? Thanks

Turtle
Jcurtis54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 03:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcurtis54 View Post
We are contemplating purchasing a R-pod 153. We will be towing it with a GMC Canyon crew cab pickup. Do I need a weight distribution hitch/sway bars? If so what make and model? Thanks

Turtle
Have you read the Towing section, of your truck's owners manual? It should have the weight numbers that require a WDH. Sway bars would be minimum for a single axle trailer.
The 153 appears to be a new model since there are no weights listed on the website.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 04:32 PM   #3

GMC Specs

I did read the truck manual but info is minimal. More pages are devoted to how to operate the infotainment screen than important stuff that might save your life. The R-Pod 153 has a hitch weight of 330 lbs and a UVW of 3159 lbs, single axle. The truck can supposedly handle up to 7000 lbs towing and about 700 hitch weight. The truck has a factory installed tow package and brake controller. So I'm not worried that the truck couldn't handle the trailer I just don't want to encounter excess sway on our first trip out if it can be avoided. I've never trailered anything other than a utility trailer that weighed more than 1000 lbs and never had one with brakes.

Thanks,
Turtle
Old 08-07-2022, 04:54 PM   #4
Site Team

The truck's hitch receiver should have a max hitch weight number.
And don't use fictional dry weights numbers. Usually 13% of the trailer's GVWR is a good ballpark loaded tongue weight number. What's the trailer's GVWR and CCC amount?
Remember the fictional dry tongue weight number doesn't include the weights of batteries, factory options, dealer add-ons, water and trailer cargo. These newer single axle trailers have the axle set farther back, therefore increasing the actual tongue weight.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 06:44 PM   #5

Weights

So I went out and checked the hitch. It says max hitch weight is 900 lbs. The CCC for the trailer is 1571. The UVW is 3159 so the total gross weight is 4730 lbs. 13% of that is 615 lbs.
Assuming I load the trailer reasonably evenly and don't drive with the tanks full I think I'm ok. Maybe I can get away without a WDH. I think sway bars may still be smart. Is my thinking off base?
Where should I look for a make and model of sway bars for this combo of truck and trailer?

Thanks,
Turtle

Tags
r-pod