Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #1

RPOD 179 Antenna Damage

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1414278732.430187.jpg
Views:	850
Size:	362.0 KB
ID:	65316

After picking up our new RPOD 179, we stopped for gas after approx. 200 miles. Looked up and noticed the antenna was bent upwards. When we arrived home, we found it to be be bent backwards at a 45 degree angle. The only thing we could figure the wind is coming off the tow vehicle, a Toyota 4Runner, creating upward lift on the antenna. The antenna functions fine, but I don't want to bend it back down so as to not break it. I called Forest River and they are unfamiliar with the issue. I suggested perhaps a design flaw in that the antenna is more forward on this model. I've forwarded pictures to Forest River. Has anyone else seen this problem?
daytonajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonajoe View Post
Attachment 65316

After picking up our new RPOD 179, we stopped for gas after approx. 200 miles. Looked up and noticed the antenna was bent upwards. When we arrived home, we found it to be be bent backwards at a 45 degree angle. The only thing we could figure the wind is coming off the tow vehicle, a Toyota 4Runner, creating upward lift on the antenna. The antenna functions fine, but I don't want to bend it back down so as to not break it. I called Forest River and they are unfamiliar with the issue. I suggested perhaps a design flaw in that the antenna is more forward on this model. I've forwarded pictures to Forest River. Has anyone else seen this problem?

This type of antenna has been on the R-Pod line since late 2011 starting with the 2012 model year Pods. I've never seen this once reported from any of our owners.

That is a very strange and one of a kind failure you have there. I know lots of 179 owners, no one has ever reported this either.

Sorry to see that's happened to yours so quickly.
kymooses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #3

It happened to our 171 this year in Arizona, 55 mph wind gust we were driving straight into. I bent mine down lower towards the roof, have not heard any complaints from the kids.
ffolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffolts View Post
It happened to our 171 this year in Arizona, 55 mph wind gust we were driving straight into. I bent mine down lower towards the roof, have not heard any complaints from the kids.
I'll have to start tracking this now, so sorry to see that this happened to you also!
kymooses is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna