Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2020, 07:30 PM   #1

Solar... generator... flux capacitor?

So.. given the new world order, a trip cross country is a different adventure than it may have been last year!
My new iPod 179 has been outfitted with 2 batteries, 2 propane tanks.. should I compliment this with solar or a generator?
I am not seeking adventure, just crossing the country under the present situation.
We have 12 days to drive from coast to coast, leaving the north East in late April. I am not looking to boon dock, but I do not know what the situation will be on the road. I want to be prepared, but I do not want to be the guy who personally stimulates the economy on his own. What would a good Boy Scout do?
frogpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:35 PM   #2

Generator . . .
Old 04-05-2020, 08:17 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth10 View Post
Generator . . .
x2! Inverter generator.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:23 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
x2! Inverter generator.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:25 PM   #5
Site Team

Inverter and credentials to pass through some states that may have border checks.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:48 PM   #6

I would pick up a 2kW generator/inverter style. Picking your route to stay away from stopping in big cities everywhere. You might need to call ahead to camp sites to see if you will be accepted as newcomers. I might do this in the couple of weeks prior to leaving to give you an idea where you might be able to stop. Travel and business restrictions are getting tighter each day. Who knows where we will be at by April 30... better I would hope.

The map I just pulled off the net shows the Covid hotspots. Do a search for this map and avoid some areas as the map changes. Map sure you have clorox wipes, hand sanitizer, gloves and lots of soap and several masks for wearing when you think you need it, interacting with the public.

Might want to read this thread...
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2300570
Good luck and stay safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	covid.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	226309  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:00 PM   #7

Everything (almost) is closed!

We just got home to California from Ohio last week. We had hoped on staying in national and state parks and doing some sightseeing but found everything closed due to COVID-19 pandemic. Most fuel stations were open for fuel but many had food serves closed. Some restaurants were open for take-out. Even the National Monuments we checked out along I-40 were barricaded by park rangers. Some states allow overnight parking/camping in rest areas, others do not. Most RV parks were either closed or full by mid afternoon so BE PREPARED TO DO SOME BOONDOCKING.
The2002Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:20 PM   #8

Solar is out

Solar is out. Even if there were no Corona virus, you would be at risk of three overcast days in a row and low batteries and not enough solar power to charge them.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:30 PM   #9

2K Generator
mcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The2002Wanderer View Post
We just got home to California from Ohio last week. We had hoped on staying in national and state parks and doing some sightseeing but found everything closed due to COVID-19 pandemic. Most fuel stations were open for fuel but many had food serves closed. Some restaurants were open for take-out. Even the National Monuments we checked out along I-40 were barricaded by park rangers. Some states allow overnight parking/camping in rest areas, others do not. Most RV parks were either closed or full by mid afternoon so BE PREPARED TO DO SOME BOONDOCKING.

Thank you. I was counting on the State & National parks being closed. What I did not take into account is that congestion moving to fill the RV parks to capacity. This is good Intel.
Time to do some generator shopping.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:41 AM   #11

A solar and battery set up is very expensive and you will still need a generator on cloudy days. SO, unless you are full timing just go with a generator.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:43 AM   #12

Sadly, they'e sold out.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/flux-capacitor?q=121g

I got a couple on back order, however the next time my GF threatens to slap me into next year I may take her up on it.
hthavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:17 AM   #13

Out of curiosity do you need to drive across the country or is this a pleasure trip? If not a need maybe you could make the trip at another time and reduce the potential spread of the virus.

If it is needed for relocation or something similar then be careful and get a good inverter generator.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:20 AM   #14

If you get a generator, please get a good one and not the elcheeepo ones that sound like a person shaking a can of rocks. I really don't like listening to them. Some campgrounds in Rocky Mountain National Park (closed now) only allow them in certain places. The generators that come mounted in campers are usually quiet.

We have a SV235 Forest River and only plug in the camper one out of maybe 10 nights out and run off of a single lead acid group 29 deep cycle. We watch a movie usually every night and the only thing that uses power that much is the furnace fan if we run it in September or nights in the high country. We can go about 3 or 4 days without charging the batteries. We live and use our camper primarily in Colorado and have lots of sunshine. I have a single solar panel on order and that's all I'll ever need.

Your camper, with two batteries, is not that big and easily go that long without charging especially if your on the move, but if your going to use AC the microwave the hair dryer and all that, you will need a generator. And most small generators will not start an air conditioner, start up amps are too great even with an extra capacitor on the compressor.
Bronco Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:29 PM   #15

You shouldn't needa generator. I have done 3 4k mile road trips without one. Your battery will charge while you are driving. Save the weight.
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 01:07 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttimerstraint View Post
You shouldn't needa generator. I have done 3 4k mile road trips without one. Your battery will charge while you are driving. Save the weight.
Most tow vehicles only provide a trickle charge at best and a 2000w inverter generator normally weighs only 50lbs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Most tow vehicles only provide a trickle charge at best and a 2000w inverter generator normally weighs only 50lbs.

FWIW, I've towed a trailer for years without bringing a generator or solar along.

My factory tow packing wiring has provided more than enough power to recharge my batteries if all I use them for is overnight camping.

Even before I upgraded my TV wiring I measured at least 5 amps flowing to my TT batteries. If I'm driving 8+ hours in a day that's more than replacing the 20-30 amp hours I might use at night, even if I watch a movie.

Yes, the current is not much but it's continuous while driving. No, it won't charge the batteries if you just plug in and let the TV engine idle but it'll do a lot more than many say it will while driving.

Something that's a lot cheaper than any generator if one isn't boondocking regularly is a DC-DC charger that's designed to boost the voltage once it arrives at the TT's batteries from the TV. A unit like the Renogy DCC 1212-20 is only $127 and will, based on my experience, double the amount of current that will flow into the batteries without any modification of the factory TV wiring.

Yes, today I have a generator, solar, a DC-dc charger, LiFePo batteries. But then again I boondock and rarely check into an RV park.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:51 PM   #18

Quote:
When you are driving the amount of miles per day he is intending to, it will have plenty of time to trickle charge. The rpod is going to use limited draw when he is boundocking it. When we do our road trips, we will spend no more than 2 days in any location and the battery is always charge by the end of 8 hours or driving.
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttimerstraint View Post
When you are driving the amount of miles per day he is intending to, it will have plenty of time to trickle charge. The rpod is going to use limited draw when he is boundocking it. When we do our road trips, we will spend no more than 2 days in any location and the battery is always charge by the end of 8 hours or driving.
I agree, for me, recharging the battery as I drove would be fine. However, from experience, make sure the fridge isn't running on the battery! Or, if you do, do not forget it when you stop!

On the other hand, you said it's new. Does that mean you're new to RVing also? Maybe the generator would be worthwhile for peace of mind?

Travel during this pandemic will be a challenge. Good luck with that!
Old 04-07-2020, 10:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hthavana View Post
https://www.oreillyauto.com/flux-capacitor?q=121g

I got a couple on back order, however the next time my GF threatens to slap me into next year I may take her up on it.
Great build. I think you have enough gigawatts on that build to make it economical.

Tags
generator, solar