Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2022, 02:28 PM   #1

Solar shut-off

I have a 2023 Rpod model 201. As part of standard equipment, it came from the factory with a 200 watt solar panel, 30 amp controller and a 2000 watt inverter. I plan to upgrade my battery to a 100 Ahr LiFePo battery. To avoid juice coming into the battery from the solar system while I'm disconnecting/connecting the batteries, I was looking for an on/off switch for the solar. I couldn't find one. Looking at the owners manual for the solar controller, it says a 30 amp fuse should be located between the controller and battery.
Questions:
1) If I can locate the fuse, would it be ok if I use it as a switch by pulling the fuse to shut down the system?
2) Where is the 30 amp fuse located? I thought they may have wired it thru the power center because I have a 30 amp fuse labeled as "battery". I unplugged it, but my controller was still lit up and receiving voltage readings from the battery.
3) If the 30 fuse labeled "battery" isn't for the solar system, what is if for?
Louisiana before, fulltiming since April 11, 2014
blog--- www.gozatravels.blogspot.com
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 02:33 PM   #2
Site Team

Moved thread to the Rpod sub-forum since the OP is asking for model-specific information.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 03:32 PM   #3

Maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
I have a 2023 Rpod model 201. As part of standard equipment, it came from the factory with a 200 watt solar panel, 30 amp controller and a 2000 watt inverter. I plan to upgrade my battery to a 100 Ahr LiFePo battery. To avoid juice coming into the battery from the solar system while I'm disconnecting/connecting the batteries, I was looking for an on/off switch for the solar. I couldn't find one. Looking at the owners manual for the solar controller, it says a 30 amp fuse should be located between the controller and battery.
Questions:
1) If I can locate the fuse, would it be ok if I use it as a switch by pulling the fuse to shut down the system?
2) Where is the 30 amp fuse located? I thought they may have wired it thru the power center because I have a 30 amp fuse labeled as "battery". I unplugged it, but my controller was still lit up and receiving voltage readings from the battery.
I don't have an Rpod, but can respond in generalities.
Quote:
Yes, but it may become tiresome after a while.
Quote:
Probably "inline." That is, it is located along the cable connecting the controller to the battery. Look for a fuse holder like the one pictured below. It might be right at the positive battery terminal.
Quote:
This one sits between the battery and the "converter" (charger). It protects the converter from damage if you accidentally connect the battery backwards.
Attached Images

"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 04:04 PM   #4
Retired Old Guy

To disconnect a solar panel you really need to disconnect both positive and negative at the same time. Here is the disconnect I used.

DC Miniature Circuit Breaker, 2 Pole 500V 32 Amp Isolator for Solar PV System, Thermal Magnetic Trip, DIN Rail Mount, Chtaixi DC Disconnect Switch C32 https://a.co/d/eWw37lk

Here is the reason why you need to disconnect both at the same time.

https://youtu.be/HOXnWXvLXko
IamProStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 04:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamProStreet View Post
To disconnect a solar panel you really need to disconnect both positive and negative at the same time. Here is the disconnect I used.

DC Miniature Circuit Breaker, 2 Pole 500V 32 Amp Isolator for Solar PV System, Thermal Magnetic Trip, DIN Rail Mount, Chtaixi DC Disconnect Switch C32 https://a.co/d/eWw37lk

Here is the reason why you need to disconnect both at the same time.

https://youtu.be/HOXnWXvLXko

Or you can just throw a sheet over the panel which in effect will turn it off. We should note that the url posted above is somewhat controversial. Many systems don't have battery disconnects at all.

It sounds like your system is factory installed "turn-key" and I am betting they didn't install a PV panel shutoff, correct?

If you don't want to cover your panel for some reason like having to get on the roof, you can just disconnect the wires coming into the solar charge controller before disconnecting the battery and replacing it with lifepo4.
Old 11-26-2022, 07:13 PM   #6
Retired Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
[/B]

Or you can just throw a sheet over the panel which in effect will turn it off. We should note that the url posted above is somewhat controversial. Many systems don't have battery disconnects at all.

It sounds like your system is factory installed "turn-key" and I am betting they didn't install a PV panel shutoff, correct?

If you don't want to cover your panel for some reason like having to get on the roof, you can just disconnect the wires coming into the solar charge controller before disconnecting the battery and replacing it with lifepo4.

If that’s how you want to disconnect your expensive solar system go for it. Removing output power from the charge controller to the batteries while the panels are inputting power into the controller can damage it.
IamProStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 10:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamProStreet View Post
If that’s how you want to disconnect your expensive solar system go for it. Removing output power from the charge controller to the batteries while the panels are inputting power into the controller can damage it.
I have done it many times with no apparent damage what so ever. Granted, I am only inputting 20 amps @ 22 volts into the SCC. If I was dealing with high current output I would consider putting in a disconnect like yours. All my power is portable, not roof mounted. I can throw a jacket or 2 on the panels partially covering them so that NO current is flowing if I wish.

Other options for the OP are simple if he is concerned. One would be to just switch batteries at night.

I would still like for the OP to clarify whether or not the factory, presumably staffed by trained professionals, thought it necessary to provide a usable PV shutoff for functionality or for NEC standards?

Tags
solar