Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2020, 11:14 AM   #1

Water coming in through furnace

I have a new 2021 r-pod 193 that I bought in late August. Recently we have had some heavy rains on Long Island. I noticed after one of the storms that water was dripping from the furnace into the trailer. Removing the furnace cover revealed water pooling on the floor of the furnace housing. There is no water anywhere else. The top and sides all around the housing are bone dry. The only water is in the housing. I know that the combustion and exhaust chambers are sealed, but I can hear a dripping sound coming from inside one of the chambers. I checked the seal around the furnace vent outside and it was intact. There was,however, about 1/4” of water pooled inside the vent fresh air intake tube. Is it possible that water is entering through this port? If so, sounds like a dangerous condition. Where else should I be looking for the source of the leak? Any help is greatly appreciated. I have an appointment to bring it back to the dealer for servicing on November 11th, but that’s a 200+ mile trip each way that I’d like to avoid if I can.
Dbaryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:56 AM   #2

If the wind was blowing and driving rain against the side of the trailer where the furnace vents are the rain was most likely driven in and you don't have a leak per se.

If so the only real cure will be to provide some shelter from wind driven rain against that part of the trailer. If in storage it might be necessary to re-orient so the prevailing wind with rain doesn't blow against that side or tape some plastic over the vent.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:47 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I agree with TitanMike.

We had a SOB (some other brand) where the water would come in the intake/exhaust and make water drip out the furnace housing. You would think it shouldn't but it did. Mine came from where the tubes of the furnace slipped into the tubes of the outside intake/exhaust and couple together.

I found an old, thin flexible refrigerator magnet (I think it was a calendar or a sports schedule) and cut to fit on the outer intake/exhaust, stuck it on and that cured the issue.

If you do similar... BE SURE to remove it before furnace use!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:20 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
If the wind was blowing and driving rain against the side of the trailer where the furnace vents are the rain was most likely driven in and you don't have a leak per se.

If so the only real cure will be to provide some shelter from wind driven rain against that part of the trailer. If in storage it might be necessary to re-orient so the prevailing wind with rain doesn't blow against that side or tape some plastic over the vent.
I agree. On our TT, the furnace circuit board was just behind that vent and heavy rains shorted it out. Warranty repair was better barrier from water intrusion.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I agree with TitanMike.

We had a SOB (some other brand) where the water would come in the intake/exhaust and make water drip out the furnace housing. You would think it shouldn't but it did. Mine came from where the tubes of the furnace slipped into the tubes of the outside intake/exhaust and couple together.

I found an old, thin flexible refrigerator magnet (I think it was a calendar or a sports schedule) and cut to fit on the outer intake/exhaust, stuck it on and that cured the issue.

If you do similar... BE SURE to remove it before furnace use!

Wow!!! I’m not an engineer...but looking at the engineering of it, I think you are absolutely right. It looks like water is getting in where the pipes meet. Thank you!
Old 10-20-2020, 07:02 PM   #6

Thank all of you...I think you all helped me figure out the problem. I am grateful to all of you. Thank you.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbaryk View Post
Thank all of you...I think you all helped me figure out the problem. I am grateful to all of you. Thank you.
You're more than welcome.

Many, if not all, of us have had similar problems at one time or another and more often than not had someone give us a hand curing it.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:01 PM   #8

Water comining in through furnace

We also had a issue of water draining down from the furnace roof vents after a day of very heavy rains. (10 inches) on our 2020 Coachmen Freedom express 259fkrs. No other leakage after that bad storm. It came down so hard and fast the roof drains could no off load it fast enough. We still documented it through our dealer. On a following camping trip our furnace was in-op. A circuit board had to be replaced on warranty. Related?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200828_121307.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	336.5 KB
ID:	241646   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200828_093628.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	316.6 KB
ID:	241647  
arthager is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags