Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2021, 12:36 PM   #1

Exclamation Water won't heat after de-winterization

I'm a newbie R-Pod 202 owner and am in the process of dewinterizing it for the first time. All seems to be in order except water will not heat up at all. I tried filling up the water heater tank and then turning it on but still no luck.

Here is a picture of the valves to the water heater. I followed the diagram for "in-use."
https://ibb.co/k5FBZf4
https://ibb.co/CnTjfNW

I've been researching the problem all day but I can't figure it out. Does anyone know what the problem is? I'm hoping its an easy fix
rpod202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpod202 View Post
I'm a newbie R-Pod 202 owner and am in the process of dewinterizing it for the first time. All seems to be in order except water will not heat up at all. I tried filling up the water heater tank and then turning it on but still no luck.

Here is a picture of the valves to the water heater. I followed the diagram for "in-use."
https://ibb.co/k5FBZf4
https://ibb.co/CnTjfNW

I've been researching the problem all day but I can't figure it out. Does anyone know what the problem is? I'm hoping its an easy fix
Your valves do look correct.

Uhh, are you trying to heat it with propane? Do you have your propane cylinders open? Have you verified you have propane delivery by lighting your stove first?

Can you show a picture of the switch you are using to "turn it on"?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:58 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I agree with wmtire... the valves look correct.

As asked, what method are you using to heat the water?

How do you know the tank is full?
Did you pull the lever on the T&P valve (temp & pressure) at the outside access cover?

How long did you leave the heating method on before checking for hot water?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Your valves do look correct.

Uhh, are you trying to heat it with propane? Do you have your propane cylinders open? Have you verified you have propane delivery by lighting your stove first?

Can you show a picture of the switch you are using to "turn it on"?
I am using electric to heat it, which is how I used it last season. The propane cylinders are open. I am using the on switch outside the water heater and not the one inside the trailer.

https://ibb.co/30KnRJs
Old 04-10-2021, 01:18 PM   #5

I am using electric which I used last season and it was working fine. I even checked the breaker panel but no luck.. Propane cylinders are on and the stovetop is working.

I let the hot water side run with the heater off for 5 or more minutes to fill up the tank. I pulled the lever on the outside access cover and water came out.

I'm using the on switch outside the water heater, not the one inside the trailer for propane.

Old 04-10-2021, 02:06 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
I am using electric which I used last season and it was working fine. I even checked the breaker panel but no luck.. Propane cylinders are on and the stovetop is working.

I let the hot water side run with the heater off for 5 or more minutes to fill up the tank. I pulled the lever on the outside access cover and water came out.

I'm using the on switch outside the water heater, not the one inside the trailer for propane.

OK, since you are ONLY using electric mode. let's go with simple. You are plugged into a form of 120 volt shore power, correct? You have to have 120 volt AC power for the electric element to work. To verify you have 120 volt AC power, is the display on your microwave working (if equipped).

Did you turn on that electric heating mode, maybe before you made sure the winterization valves were changed? This is a common occurrence and results in a heating element being burned out.

P.S> If you are wondering why your posts aren't showing up, they are getting caught by the forums spam filters as you are using outside links for your pictures. I fixed your account so you should be good to go now.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:17 AM   #7

Quote:
I am using electric to heat it, which is how I used it last season. The propane cylinders are open. I am using the on switch outside the water heater and not the one inside the trailer.

The electric switch in this picture is turned to OFF.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:13 AM   #8

As Rover Podder noted, your picture shows the switch on the heater to be in the off position. My camper also has a switch inside the camper that also must be in the on position for the electric heater to operate.
As someone also noted, you should verify that shore power is on inside the trailer, and check the circuit breaker for the water heater.
18LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18LT View Post
As Rover Podder noted, your picture shows the switch on the heater to be in the off position. My camper also has a switch inside the camper that also must be in the on position for the electric heater to operate.
As someone also noted, you should verify that shore power is on inside the trailer, and check the circuit breaker for the water heater.
I think the switch inside the camper is the the Hot Water heater's LP on/off switch. It does not have to be on to heat the hot water with electric, that is controlled by the switch outside in the HW heater. At least that's how my Vibe 21BH is. I only run the HW heater on electric, so my inside (LP) switch is always off.
-Russ
2019 F150 Screw, 6.5 bed, 3.5 Twin Turbo EcoBoost
w/ Trailer Tow Package - Yellow Sticker Payload : 1810 lbs. (sold)
RGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:16 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
My camper also has a switch inside the camper that also must be in the on position for the electric heater to operate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGrimm View Post
I think the switch inside the camper is the the Hot Water heater's LP on/off switch. It does not have to be on to heat the hot water with electric, that is controlled by the switch outside in the HW heater. At least that's how my Vibe 21BH is.

Suburban makes two models of tank type water heaters with electric heating elements---the SWDE and SWDEL model. Forest River uses both models in their different RV's. Depending on your make/model year of RV, you could have either the SWDE or maybe the SWDEL model of water heater.

1. The SWDE model ONLY has a switch for the electric heating element on the face of the water heater. If you want to turn the electric heating element on/off...you must go outside the RV and utilize this switch on the water heater itself.

2. The SWDEL (note the L at the end of the model) has a 12/120 volt relay added to it. It is the same water heater as the SWDE except for this added relay. This relay allows for an inside 12 volt DC switch to be added to turn the 120 volt AC electric heating element ON/OFF without having to go outside the RV. It does still have the outside switch though (as like the SWDE model) that must be turned ON before the inside switch via it's relay can control the ON/OFF function........so the SWDEL model actually has TWO switches for the electric heating element.

The operation of both the SWDE and SWDEL models are explained in further detail in this thread link below.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ore-36197.html

Since Forest River uses both the SWDE and SWDEL model, it does confuse many members who may not realize that when they give advice, they may not being giving advice on the correct model as far as the switches go for the electric heating element.

18LT has a SWDEL model and RGrimm has the SWDE model.

Old 04-11-2021, 08:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Suburban makes two models of tank type water heaters with electric heating elements---the SWDE and SWDEL model. Forest River uses both models in their different RV's. Depending on your make/model year of RV, you could have either the SWDE or maybe the SWDEL model of water heater.

1. The SWDE model ONLY has a switch for the electric heating element on the face of the water heater. If you want to turn the electric heating element on/off...you must go outside the RV and utilize this switch on the water heater itself.

2. The SWDEL (note the L at the end of the model) has a 12/120 volt relay added to it. It is the same water heater as the SWDE except for this added relay. This relay allows for an inside 12 volt DC switch to be added to turn the 120 volt AC electric heating element ON/OFF without having to go outside the RV. It does still have the outside switch though (as like the SWDE model) that must be turned ON before the inside switch via it's relay can control the ON/OFF function........so the SWDEL model actually has TWO switches for the electric heating element.

The operation of both the SWDE and SWDEL models are explained in further detail in this thread link below.

Since Forest River uses both the SWDE and SWDEL model, it does confuse many members who may not realize that when they give advice, they may not being giving advice on the correct model as far as the switches go for the electric heating element.
This is a very good and well thought out explanation and description. Thank you.

Bruce
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:28 AM   #12

My suggestion was based on my 2205S, which is different from the R-Pod. I just watched a couple of videos and as someone noted, the R-Pod does not have the 110-volt heater control switch inside like my 2205S. So, with the best of intentions, I muddied the waters. Sorry about that.
18LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:42 AM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
My suggestion was based on my 2205S, which is different from the R-Pod. I just watched a couple of videos and as someone noted, the R-Pod does not have the 110-volt heater control switch inside like my 2205S. So, with the best of intentions, I muddied the waters. Sorry about that.
Not really a problem so apologies not necessary but it is a good example of how many people believe how their R/V and accessories operate is how everyone else's R/V operates and that's often just not the case.

That's also why it is so important to list as much information, including make/model within a post when asking a question. It helps the rest of us know what may/may not pertain to YOUR R/V.

Old 04-11-2021, 10:43 AM   #14

Quote:

18LT has a SWDEL model and RGrimm has the SWDE model.
Thank you wmtire for the clarification. I learned something today and that is a good thing . I wished I had the SWDEL model, I added an actual AC switch inside my Vibe to turn the HW heater on and off (electric). I just leave the 'outside' switch on all the time.

Sorry 18LT, I just assumed all the 6 gallon HW heaters were the same - my bad.
-Russ
2019 F150 Screw, 6.5 bed, 3.5 Twin Turbo EcoBoost
w/ Trailer Tow Package - Yellow Sticker Payload : 1810 lbs. (sold)
RGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:52 PM   #15

Quote:
There is, however, a circuit breaker in the circuit breaker panel that controls the electric element on the rPod water heater.

But the problem does appear to be that the OP has the outside switch turned OFF.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:52 PM   #16

Quote:

I would think you need to turn the inside switch to auto or electric as well

Old 04-12-2021, 05:01 PM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by campers302 View Post

I'm curious about your comment about a water heater switch inside with an 'auto' position?

Could you reference a model that has one?

Old 04-12-2021, 05:08 PM   #18

Quote:

The less expensive Suburban water heaters have one switch on the inside which is for the LP gas. The electric element is controlled ONLY by a switch on the outside, behind the vent panel. Post #10.

The upgrade Suburban water heater will have two switches inside the trailer. One for gas, one for electric (and the electric switch is actually 12 volts that goes to a relay on the control panel at the water heater). However, neither Suburban model has any switch with an "auto" position. That's on the refrigerator.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Not on the rPod. There's no "auto". And the water heater switch inside the unit controls the propane heat on the water heater.

Tags
water, winter