Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2017, 06:48 AM   #1

Fresh water tank Over flow hose

Getting ready to head to the motocross nationals in washougal Washington for 4 days so I needed to fill my fresh water tank. With 3 people going with me I needed to make sure I had the tank full. After a while of filling I notice water coming out of the bottom side of the trailer. I turn the water off and investigate. Apparently they forgot to either run the over flow hose through the tank cover or there isn't a hose attached to the tank at all. I will drop the cover when I get back and post my findings. Anyone else have this problem? The trailer is a 2015 Sandstorm 285 gslr.
Trobec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:01 AM   #2

Overflow usually drain out the bottom of trailer. Some have hoses, some don't. My 2018 has open underbelly and has a 90 degree barbed fitting that comes out the top corner of tank and no hose attached to it.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:07 AM   #3
"On the road again"

If you've got the coroplast underpinning below your trailer it definitely should have a drain hose that comes through that. With coroplast you should have insulation sitting on top of it, and it's now likely water-logged and very heavy.

I'd recommend drilling at least one hole in the coroplast at or about the low point and allow any remaining water to drain before you head out. That extra weight can (experience speaking from a previous fifth wheel) cause the coroplast to break free and scatter all over the freeway along with wet, soggy insulation.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:13 AM   #4

I will drill a hole or 3 before I leave. Thanks for the suggestion.
Trobec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:56 PM   #5

My brand new 19RR did not have anything attached to the vent on the tank and someone plugged up the vent hole on the fill station with silicone.

My tank would only hold 25g instead of the 40 is was supposed to. The rest would simply leak out of the vent hole. No way could I reinstall the vent as it was supposed to be so I ran a hose up the outside of the trailer to vent. Now I can fill the tank.
RB19RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:32 PM   #6

Fresh water over flow

Mine is in the shop for that reason. When I fill the tank or go down the road water leaks out of the bottom. They haven't called to confirm what it is yet.
Deserthauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:59 PM   #7

My FW tank had the drain and vent/overflow lines hanging between the 2 axles. This was a pain in the neck, but I had a much lower opinion on this to access the tank drain shutoff. I ran 1/2" pvc lines to the rear of my trailer with shutoff valves on each line. Now I open both valves when filling. Once water comes out of the drain line (sorta flushing out the existing water in tank) I close that valve. When water starts coming out of the vent/overflow line, I close that valve. Now I don't lose water from the tank while moving to my camp site. Once I get set up on site, I open the vent/overflow valve. Always remember to open the vent/overflow valve when filling the tank. You can make a 40 gallon tank a little larger real quick. Don't ask me how I know.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank