Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2017, 11:39 AM   #1

Is this an ISSUE, Roof Seams Delaminating

Bought a SandStorm 3 months ago. I have noticed that there appears to be lines across the roof where the liner is de-laminating.

See pictures. I will be bringing this to my dealer as an issue. I do not have a high level of competency in the dealer or MFG. Any comments or suggestions?

If it is an issue, how does one repair this for it does not become an issue in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170410_092716.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	134300   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170410_092720.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	134301  
missionsandstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:37 PM   #2

I have 2015 285gslr and it looks the same. I climbed up on the roof and from what I can tell it is at the roof seams. Please let us know how it goes at the dealer.
Trobec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:33 PM   #3

It looks like those are at the edges of the sheets of plywood that cross the roof. It is pretty common and I see it on more trailers than not. Keep an eye on them in case one goes too far and rips through the roof membrane.
Rdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:43 PM   #4

Is one side raised higher than the other or is it flat?

When you run your hand over the roof does the rubber move?
Old 04-29-2017, 08:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionsandstorm View Post
Bought a SandStorm 3 months ago. I have noticed that there appears to be lines across the roof where the liner is de-laminating.

See pictures. I will be bringing this to my dealer as an issue. I do not have a high level of competency in the dealer or MFG. Any comments or suggestions?

If it is an issue, how does one repair this for it does not become an issue in the future.
The first question is ARE YOU STILL IN FACTORY WARRANTY. If not I think unless it starts to separate and the sheeting under it is separating, I would deal prophylactically and reinforce the questionable lines with four or six inch Eterabond tape.

On our 2016 I am very disappointed that along the side edges of the roof, the plywood seems to come to a fairly rough, sharp, UNROUNDED plywood edge and the rubber roof membrane is rolled over that edge and bonded along the side with a molding. I figure that roof edge will eventually tear and I will be redoing the full length of the edge with eternabond tape too.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:09 PM   #6

Yes, it is still under warranty. I have a meeting with the service manager end of May.

Yes, the seam does compress when touched. It has delaminated. There are no holes or rips so it is still watertight.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
..... reinforce the questionable lines with four or six inch Eterabond tape. On our 2016 the plywood seems to come to a fairly rough, sharp, UNROUNDED plywood edge and the rubber roof membrane is rolled over that edge and bonded along the side with a molding.
this may sound weird but i have these same symptoms & this makes me feel a whole bunch better as a more normal situation. i have an email that i am waiting on a reply from Eternabond to determine the color i ultimately want. i intend to do this exact same thing & that is to reinforce those areas, plus the edge rails, with the tape.
thanks for posting! :-)
2015 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Pkg
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
tmfaulksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionsandstorm View Post
Yes, it is still under warranty. I have a meeting with the service manager end of May.

Yes, the seam does compress when touched. It has delaminated. There are no holes or rips so it is still watertight.
Any word on your roof?
Trobec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:40 AM   #9

I have same issue on Shockwave camper; please let me know if I need to have it fixed.
Alpine207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #10

They are looking at the trailer this week, will post their feedback on the delamination.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:18 AM   #11

Thank you. Looking forward to understanding the issue and if I need to be concerned. Warranty runs out in 2-months.
Alpine207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:07 PM   #12

Just got the trailer back today. They said the roof seam separation is common and expected as the roof is not a single sheet but a multi sheet construction. Providing the weather lining is intact (non punctured) this is designed to have expansion.

Knowing this I would limit all walking on roof, or snow removal.

Tags
roo, roof