Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2021, 06:07 PM   #1

Lithium batteries

I have a 2021 sandstorm 242 gslc toy hauler and was wondering can you swap out the lead acid with lithium and not have to change the inverter charger ? Iím adding 2 more 200 watt solar panels and a 4000watt inverter in place of the 1500 watt one
TDServices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:27 PM   #2

Even if you don't change out the inverter charger, the solar charge controller can take care of the batteries. With a 4KW inverter, I sure hope you've got at least 4x100AH batteries.
llamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamb View Post
Even if you don't change out the inverter charger, the solar charge controller can take care of the batteries. With a 4KW inverter, I sure hope you've got at least 4x100AH batteries.

Definitely need more than a couple Lithium batteries with a 4 Kw Inverter. Each battery is generally rated for a 1C discharge rate (C= Amp hour capacity of battery so discharge can be 100 amp for a 100 ah battery) and a 4 Kw Inverter can draw up to 320 amp at max output. Four batteries would be "Perfect" but one could get by with only three as I seriously doubt that the 4 Kw Inverter would ever be loaded to it's rated max. Consider that if one has only a 30 amp shore power feed, that's only 3600 watts which translates to 288 amps at max for the shore power input.

Since solar is in the plan no converter upgrade is needed. For times when connected to shore power a relatively inexpensive battery maintainer like a CTEK or NOCO can handle the topping off and top balance of the lithium batteries. 1/4 to 1/2 the cost of a converter upgrade.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Definitely need more than a couple Lithium batteries with a 4 Kw Inverter. Each battery is generally rated for a 1C discharge rate (C= Amp hour capacity of battery so discharge can be 100 amp for a 100 ah battery) and a 4 Kw Inverter can draw up to 320 amp at max output. Four batteries would be "Perfect" but one could get by with only three as I seriously doubt that the 4 Kw Inverter would ever be loaded to it's rated max. Consider that if one has only a 30 amp shore power feed, that's only 3600 watts which translates to 288 amps at max for the shore power input.

Since solar is in the plan no converter upgrade is needed. For times when connected to shore power a relatively inexpensive battery maintainer like a CTEK or NOCO can handle the topping off and top balance of the lithium batteries. 1/4 to 1/2 the cost of a converter upgrade.

So I only wanted to use the inverter unless I really needed to run the AC off inverter power only and the microwave but it wouldnít be for very long periods and only in an emergency situation ( aka) generator quits so could I get away with just 2 battleborn batteries and I will have the 2 lead acid hooked to the other side
Old 04-22-2021, 07:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDServices View Post
So I only wanted to use the inverter unless I really needed to run the AC off inverter power only and the microwave but it wouldn’t be for very long periods and only in an emergency situation ( aka) generator quits so could I get away with just 2 battleborn batteries and I will have the 2 lead acid hooked to the other side
You probably could get away with two if you aren't going to exceed the 1C per battery discharge rate (200 amp for two).

You really won't damage the batteries if you do exceed (and you purchase quality batteries) as the BMS will just shut them off if this limit is exceeded for more than the specified "surge value" the manufacturer built into the BMS.

If you are planning on running the A/C for more than a very short while you may want to consider more than just two. A 13,500 btu A/C will draw 11-12 amp running on 120 volts. This translates to ~115 amps on the input of the Inverter. This will give you about 30-45 minutes on a FULLY charged single battery or 1 to 1-1/2 hours of A/C run before the batteries are shut down by the BMS due to low voltage.

Two batteries might give you enough power to run the A/C long enough to refuel and restart the generator as remember, you are using the batteries for other power needs as well and may not be fully charged when needed.

BTW, the current draw I mentioned for the A/C came from my A/C, 3 kw inverter, and measured on my Victron battery monitor.

My Microwwave draws just under 125 amps when running.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:53 PM   #6

Thanks I appreciate the advice
Old 04-23-2021, 09:48 AM   #7

Any advice on how to run the new wiring to the solar controller from the lithium batteries ?
Old 04-24-2021, 05:05 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Iím adding 2 more 200 watt solar panels and a 4000watt inverter in place of the 1500 watt one
You didn't say it and maybe you plan on it, but I imagine you'll need to up-size the wiring to/from the inverter for the increased capacity.
Old 04-24-2021, 05:06 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Any advice on how to run the new wiring to the solar controller from the lithium batteries ?
A lot of people drop down the refrigerator vent and then into the under-belly to do runs.

I always debated dropping into the front bedroom closet/cabinets and then down into the battery bay.

All depends on your actual floorplan.
Old 04-24-2021, 05:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
... For times when connected to shore power a relatively inexpensive battery maintainer like a CTEK or NOCO can handle the topping off and top balance of the lithium batteries. 1/4 to 1/2 the cost of a converter upgrade.
If you already have a Schumaker (they're common) with a Gel setting, I'm told by their tech support that's 14.6V. I didn't measure it but that would be easy to confirm.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries