Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2018, 09:06 PM   #1

Low hanging tree got me

Today when I got to my storage location I realized my tv antenna was hanging. Turns out the branch damaged the fridge cover and the antenna. Luckily it's not a super expensive fix and I'm going to try to submit a claim through the city.

Take care and watch out for those trees. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3387.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	193546Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3386.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	193547Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3389.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	193548
Mcdaniel1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:50 AM   #2
Always Learning

Sorry to hear! I've had to drive through lower branches a couple of times and always fear the worst.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #3
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I lucked out and only got a few scratches in the wax job when I hit some tree limbs in our RV park last time we were out.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:19 AM   #4

I got on a "B" route going somewhere... It was a 4 lane w/turn and the outside lane was littered with low limbs. As you see...it's the ones you don't see that hurt.

Least it didn't get the roof....
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:47 AM   #5

Only use routes that have plenty of semi's on them. Let the semi's knock down the overhanging tree limbs.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:13 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Hi Rider
Low hanging tree got me

Wishing you the best on repairing the damage caused by the tree limb. I'll be curious as to what your insurance company says. Many months ago when approaching the cross walk in a small Montana town I was surprised when I heard scraping on my RV Class C overhang. The object was a sign on a sign pole clearly leaning into the street. I complained to the city and the city denied any responsibility since the street, sign, and sign pole belonged to the state. The city referred the accident to a state highway superintendent. All agreed the sign should not have been leaning onto the street. I filed a claim with my insurance company and they declined to pursue because they knew they would lose. Why? Because I hit and inanimate object, which is defined as a thing that is not alive, i.e., an object that could not of its own accord move out of the way. Therefore, I was responsible for the accident because I hit it. I'm quite curious as to how your insurance company deals with a tree limb, which is alive.
2020 - 162 Days and 5,359 Miles
2021 - 113 Days and 3,835 Miles
2022 - 35 Days and counting, and 3,372 Miles and counting
Hi Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdaniel1991 View Post
Today when I got to my storage location I realized my tv antenna was hanging. Turns out the branch damaged the fridge cover and the antenna. Luckily it's not a super expensive fix and I'm going to try to submit a claim through the city.

Take care and watch out for those trees. Attachment 193546Attachment 193547Attachment 193548
OUCH!!!!!! That happened to me but only because I didn't crank antenna down. I know all the routes that have low-hanging branches around here (mainly side streets) and avoid them like the plague. The fix is easy (though time consuming).

Be glad it didn't peel your roof off in the bargain. That would have been a real disaster.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:37 PM   #8

Your deductible will probably be more than your repair and then you'll probably have a rate increase. Better to just suck it up and pay for it outta your pocket.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:12 PM   #9

City will probably send you a bill or Lien your property for scratching their tree.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:46 PM   #10

Why would the citybe liable? Is there a statute on low hanging limbs??
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:30 PM   #11

That's why I drive down the middle of the road, if someone wants to pass they can have the shoulder.

Learned that while driving an 18 wheeler in a prior life.
beerguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
Why would the citybe liable? Is there a statute on low hanging limbs??
The answer everybody loves...It depends. It depends on who is the land owner of the tree, it depends if the city or jurisdiction has a policy regarding roadway obstruction and abatement. Some jurisdictions issue a demand to the tree owner to abate the hazard to motorists and others have a crew that exercises jurisdictional authority to abate the hazard for them. If the tree is a government owned and maintained tree then the onus is on them to mitigate a roadway hazard, they can't simply ignore the hazard and not be held liable assuming they knew about it. So it depends. One can file a claim with the City, County or State and see what they say. The neighborhood that I live in with zillions of trees the State DOT is responsible for the roadway and therefore they will send in a crew and hack somebody's tree back 6 feet and up 14 feet to clear a high profile vehicle. We have some really odd shaped trees around here...
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:44 PM   #13

At least the refrigerator vent is easy to fix. On the bright side, now you can replace that POS antenna they're using now, with something that works. If there's no roof damage it may be cheaper to do the repairs yourself. Hope it all works out for you. I would suggest covering that antenna hole to avoid water intrusion.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:24 PM   #14

Whoa! I got way more replies here then I thought I would.

The trailer is already in for repairs. I have a local forest river shop and they only charged me $120 plus parts. So $240 total.

As far as the antenna goes its a king omni pro. I thought that was a good one so I had them replace it..?
Old 12-28-2018, 01:00 PM   #15

Quote:

As far as the antenna goes its a king omni pro. I thought that was a good one so I had them replace it..?
If that antenna was working for you then keep it. The one on my unit couldn't pick up a station if I was camped under their broadcast antenna.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Rider View Post
Wishing you the best on repairing the damage caused by the tree limb. I'll be curious as to what your insurance company says. Many months ago when approaching the cross walk in a small Montana town I was surprised when I heard scraping on my RV Class C overhang. The object was a sign on a sign pole clearly leaning into the street. I complained to the city and the city denied any responsibility since the street, sign, and sign pole belonged to the state. The city referred the accident to a state highway superintendent. All agreed the sign should not have been leaning onto the street. I filed a claim with my insurance company and they declined to pursue because they knew they would lose. Why? Because I hit and inanimate object, which is defined as a thing that is not alive, i.e., an object that could not of its own accord move out of the way. Therefore, I was responsible for the accident because I hit it. I'm quite curious as to how your insurance company deals with a tree limb, which is alive.

INTERESTING - Would like to hear answer also on your Insurance Claim.
I have never heard of a claus "if dead or alive" so to speak (sign vs tree).
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:34 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Whoa! I got way more replies here then I thought I would.

The trailer is already in for repairs. I have a local forest river shop and they only charged me $120 plus parts. So $240 total.

Ha! It's winter. Many of us are looking at computer/smartdevice screens instead of the lake!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:04 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Hi Rider
The issue in my case was that the sign was an inanimate object, therefore it is the driver's responsibility to avoid hitting it. My insurance company decided to pay the $3,500 repair bill rather than try to get the state of Montana to pay. The company thought going against the state would be expensive and the company would lose and have to pay me anyway. I don't know what they would do if the object would have been a tree.
2020 - 162 Days and 5,359 Miles
2021 - 113 Days and 3,835 Miles
2022 - 35 Days and counting, and 3,372 Miles and counting
Hi Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:29 PM   #19

Your story gives me chills! A bout 10 years ago we had a diesel F250 and a 30' SOB fifth wheel. We were in Day 3 of a long planned cross country trip when DH took sick. Long story short an ambulance was called and they took him away leaving me to follow. As they loaded him into the ambulance his parting word were "don't forget tow-haul mode". I had never driven his truck much less towed a trailer. My first jittery act was to turn around in the clinic parking lot. I blissfully pulled through the covered portico without even considering the height. Mercifully all was aok. The trailer made it through and DH made a full recovery. We now have a small motorhome (which I can drive with ease) and I shiver when I read threads like this. PS - he's never heard this story. And never will lol
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmasma View Post
Your story gives me chills! A bout 10 years ago we had a diesel F250 and a 30' SOB fifth wheel. We were in Day 3 of a long planned cross country trip when DH took sick. Long story short an ambulance was called and they took him away leaving me to follow. As they loaded him into the ambulance his parting word were "don't forget tow-haul mode". I had never driven his truck much less towed a trailer. My first jittery act was to turn around in the clinic parking lot. I blissfully pulled through the covered portico without even considering the height. Mercifully all was aok. The trailer made it through and DH made a full recovery. We now have a small motorhome (which I can drive with ease) and I shiver when I read threads like this. PS - he's never heard this story. And never will lol

Oh no! Well your story is safe here...atleast until he gets an account!