Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2021, 05:17 PM   #1

New suspension

The leaf springs on my toy hauler started to flatten out so I installed the road master slipper springs and shock kit. Rides MUCH smoother than before. As close as I could get to a more independent suspension set up without spending big money on an independent suspension.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1077.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	368.0 KB
ID:	257233Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1084.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	257234Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1083.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	331.7 KB
ID:	257235
Trobec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:32 PM   #2

I just did the exact same upgrade to my 30' Crusader 5th wheel. Slipper springs and shocks. My intent was to gain 2" at the wheels, I gained 2.25" by going with much heavier rated springs than the trailer needed. When I purchased the trailer, I noted that the tires had rubbed the underside on all 4 tires. Don't know what happened in its previous life, but did not want that to happen to me. In addition, the 2" at the wheels, will put the trailer almost dead level when hooked up for towing with my RAM 2500 CTD.
Finished the install yesterday, haven't taken it on the road yet...
2012 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD and 4:10
mmartin_tdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin_tdc View Post
I just did the exact same upgrade to my 30' Crusader 5th wheel. Slipper springs and shocks. My intent was to gain 2" at the wheels, I gained 2.25" by going with much heavier rated springs than the trailer needed. When I purchased the trailer, I noted that the tires had rubbed the underside on all 4 tires. Don't know what happened in its previous life, but did not want that to happen to me. In addition, the 2" at the wheels, will put the trailer almost dead level when hooked up for towing with my RAM 2500 CTD.
Finished the install yesterday, haven't taken it on the road yet...

I was thinking of getting heavier springs for that same reason but I didn’t want them to be too stiff and transfer the shock to the unit itself. I really want the trailer to ride as plush as possible. It did raise my trailer a little bit tho. My plan is to put some taller tires on for another 1/2 to 3/4 inch of height. I also have a RAM 2500 that has. 4” lift in the front and 2” lift in the back so I am a little nose high. How does your trailer ride with the stiffer springs? That’s a path I may go down later.
Old 06-17-2021, 06:37 PM   #4

I'll have to get back to you on the ride. I just finished the install yesterday and have not had a chance to test pull it yet. I too was concerned on a too stiff of a ride, but after talking with the tech at Roadmaster, I decided to give it a go.
I have #4400 Dexter axles and put the #8000 springs on. I am hoping the shocks will help minimize the jarring some.

What axle vs spring rate did you go with?
Old 06-18-2021, 06:53 AM   #5

Quote:
I'll have to get back to you on the ride. I just finished the install yesterday and have not had a chance to test pull it yet. I too was concerned on a too stiff of a ride, but after talking with the tech at Roadmaster, I decided to give it a go.
I have #4400 Dexter axles and put the #8000 springs on. I am hoping the shocks will help minimize the jarring some.

What axle vs spring rate did you go with?

I have the 2750 kit and am running 6k Lippert axels.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...2460-2570.html
Old 06-18-2021, 10:57 AM   #6

I ended up with the 2460-2580 kit.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...2460-2580.html

Figured I was already going way over axle rating with your kit and for $140 less I could get the extra leaf in the pack giving me an additional 3/8" of clearance.

We will see if it was a wise choice for me or not. Only way to find out is to give it a pull and see how she does.
Old 06-18-2021, 02:06 PM   #7

Quote:
I ended up with the 2460-2580 kit.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...2460-2580.html

Figured I was already going way over axle rating with your kit and for $140 less I could get the extra leaf in the pack giving me an additional 3/8" of clearance.

We will see if it was a wise choice for me or not. Only way to find out is to give it a pull and see how she does.

Well I can tell you that the ride difference for me was night and day. My wife even noticed how much smoother the ride is now. Loaded my trailer weighs about 12,000 pounds so I may upgrade to the heavier springs. The stock springs that flattened out were on the side that has the slide on it so I will be keeping an eye on those for sure.

Tags
suspension