Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2016, 08:24 PM   #1

quality control?

Boon-docked with the new 2016 Sandstorm this last weekend. Solar system not working and the tankless water heater quite working as well. Bought a new battery hoping that maybe the one that came with the new toyhauler was bad. No luck, even went to a group 27 instead of the group 24 that came with the unit. Battery was dead by 5 a.m. Pretty disappointed to say the least.
guyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:47 AM   #2
AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyster View Post
Boon-docked with the new 2016 Sandstorm this last weekend. Solar system not working and the tankless water heater quite working as well. Bought a new battery hoping that maybe the one that came with the new toyhauler was bad. No luck, even went to a group 27 instead of the group 24 that came with the unit. Battery was dead by 5 a.m. Pretty disappointed to say the least.
What you will learn is that YOU are essentially the QA tester of your coach. The warranty is there for that reason.

Perhaps it wouldn't be the case with another brand of coach. I'd presume a smaller company that cranks out far less coaches per day may dedicate more time to checking the quality of their work, but that isn't how FR does things.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:00 PM   #3

Quality Control What a joke
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:17 PM   #4

QC?

We don't need no stinkin' QC!

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:18 AM   #5

When we got our 2016 sandstorm the solar wasn't working either. Didn't figure that out until the first trip. I ended up trouble shooting it myself and took the panel off the wall and saw one of the wires was missing. There's supposed to be a red and a black wire plugged into the back of the panel. The red was missing. I had to remove the ceiling vent in the bathroom, stick my hand in the gap between the ceiling and the roof and fish out the red wire, then pull it back down the wall to where the panel was. Hooked it up and it works perfect. It pretty frustrating when you drop that much cash for a brand new rig and find out that things weren't even tested before it left the factory. Sounds like it typical in this industry - not that that makes it ok.

Tankless water heater not very impressed with either. Hot..cold...hot...cold. I guess it's typical too. Not really designed to dry camp with, you waste a ton of water getting it dialed in before you take a shower. Every time you turn the hot off, the heater turns off, then it has to go through it's "lighting ceremony" all over again once you turn it back on. If you're at a full hookup campground, I guess it would be ok.

Good luck.
sandstormfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:33 AM   #6

Got the trailer back and there was a recall part on the water heater done. Solar was a loose wire on the controller. I pulled it from the wall and checked it before taking it in but missed the loose wire I guess. Any how both problems have been fixed for now.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:31 AM   #7

Off topic question. Have you used the fuel station yet? This is my first toy hauler with a fuel station and I was wondering if it's working properly. When it's on, the pump keeps running regardless if you're pumping fuel or not. I was wondering if it's supposed to work like the water pump and prime, pressurize then shut off until you start pumping again. The pump is loud inside the trailer, so I usually turn it on, go pump, then hit the emergency shut off switch to turn it off since you can't turn it off at the timer switch. Does that sound about right in your experience? My buddies fuel station seems like the pump is only on when dispensing, but he has a different system.
sandstormfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:10 PM   #8
AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstormfam View Post
Off topic question. Have you used the fuel station yet? This is my first toy hauler with a fuel station and I was wondering if it's working properly. When it's on, the pump keeps running regardless if you're pumping fuel or not. I was wondering if it's supposed to work like the water pump and prime, pressurize then shut off until you start pumping again. The pump is loud inside the trailer, so I usually turn it on, go pump, then hit the emergency shut off switch to turn it off since you can't turn it off at the timer switch. Does that sound about right in your experience? My buddies fuel station seems like the pump is only on when dispensing, but he has a different system.
I don't have a Sandstorm, but have a 2016 Stealth, but I envision it's the same unit or real close. Mine acts like yours. I asked about it once and that is how it is intended to work.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:20 PM   #9

Thanks AMG. That makes me feel better.
It's odd because I remember reading somewhere, a warning sticker or manual, to not let the pump run while not actively pumping fuel for more that 5 minutes because it could damage the motor. BUT the timer automatically shuts off after 15 minutes, so it didn't make much sense to pump fuel for 2 minutes then let that thing run for 13 more minutes. So the "Emergency Shut off Switch" isn't so much for emergency, it's just the on-off switch.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:31 PM   #10
AMG

Quote:
Thanks AMG. That makes me feel better.
It's odd because I remember reading somewhere, a warning sticker or manual, to not let the pump run while not actively pumping fuel for more that 5 minutes because it could damage the motor. BUT the timer automatically shuts off after 15 minutes, so it didn't make much sense to pump fuel for 2 minutes then let that thing run for 13 more minutes. So the "Emergency Shut off Switch" isn't so much for emergency, it's just the on-off switch.
That is exactly what they told me at the RV dealer. Said it's not like running the pump without pumping for a bit is going to destroy it, but overall it isn't should I say good to try to let it run unnecessarily while not pumping. So he said flip the switch inside the cabin, so the 15-min timer starts. Go outside, start pumping, do your thing, then kill it. It's not like you have to "Run!!!! Get to the pump! GO GO GO" but dont just finish and then go have a beer and let the other 12 minutes just lapse.

That is how they told me when we did our inspection.
So i think that you are doing it correct.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:46 PM   #11

Turn switch on in trailer go outside and turn on pump with the toggle switch. After pumping gas turn off toggle switch. Not sure why you would want to leave the outside toggle switch on.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:48 PM   #12

the fuel station works good . can be hard to fill at the pump found turning the handle upside down helps . then you have the inside switch and the switch out side .turn in inside switch on then go around pull the hose to fill what ever hit the outside switch once that turns pump on then when done hit the outside switch twice and it shuts off the pump from outside
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:18 PM   #13

Quote:

This is correct for your fuel pump, there should be a cheap on/off switch mounted on the frame by the pump somewhere. I flip my switch inside then go out and turn on pump switch. Fuel up what I need then turn off switch for pump. If there’s not a switch your pump could possibly burn up.
kbmerrowsrp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality