Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
Chris and Sara

Unhappy 09 829FKSS delaminating, going back to Indiana

Noticed over labor day weekend some bumps on the inside wall above the slide. Got home and looked at the outside wall above the slide, and it was wavy. Sent the pics to my dealer in Iowa, and they forwarded to FR. Looks like after only having my unit since May, it is going back to the factory to be torn apart and rebuilt. I am sick to my stomach right now fellas!!

2004 F-150 with Tow Package
2009 Flagstaff 829 FKSS
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equalizer Hitch

renegaderailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:58 PM   #2

You are lucky, it happen to mine and it was only 8 days old, just setting in the driveway after I took delivery waiting to go out on the first trip. Sorry to hear about your issue. From what I hear they do a good job, but it's a pain in the butt to send it back. Good luck....
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
Chris and Sara

Thanks rockwood06 they just want me to empty out my personnal effects and winterize it. They are sending a company here to Kansas City to pick it up the third week of October. Glad you have heard good things about the repair, I am very worried about it!!

2004 F-150 with Tow Package
2009 Flagstaff 829 FKSS
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equalizer Hitch

renegaderailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:18 AM   #4

ah. the wonderful world of delamination!!! i too have an 09 flagstaff. an 831krss that developed delam on the back cap near the storage compartment door. I brought it back into my dealer a few weeks ago and they called forest river. We all thought that they were going to do the same thing as yours and have it sent back to the factory, but the decided since it was just the back cap to let the dealer repair it here. They've had it for about 3 weeks now and i talked to them today to see how it was progressing. He told me the back cap is on and finished but after further inspecting it seems water was somehow leaking down into the back possibly causing the delam in the first place, so now i'm getting a whole new roof also. no charge to me, of course. I'm pretty happy about that, but on the other hand it kinda makes you wonder what the heck is going on up there in Indiana at the factory that they seem to put out a sub-par product.
I guess any company all have their problems but i dont own any of the others, i own forest river so i'm not really concerned with anyone else's problems.
Seriously, i'm thinking of selling it when i get it back and just get outof rv'ing all together. It definitly doesnt work out to be any cheaper then going and stay at a hotel once a month once you figure in fuel, cost of the trailer, truck, etc and i dont have to pay for upkeep on a hotel!!!
I'm beginning to believe that owning a camper is as bad as owning a boat. You just continually dump money into it, and NEVER NEVER get it back.
eandsphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade railfan View Post
Thanks rockwood 06 they just want me to empty out my personal effects and winterize it. They are sending a company here to Kansas City to pick it up the third week of October. Glad you have heard good things about the repair, I am very worried about it!!

Fortunately for me I was in a position to where I forced the dealer to take back the camper and get me another new one or return my check....Knowing what I know now, I wish I had my check back.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #6
Not Quite Retired

Yep, a camper is a lot like a boat: "A hole in the water, surrounded by fiberglass, into which you pour money!"

Just not quite as much pouring into a camper.

You got to love it!
Old 09-14-2009, 10:58 AM   #7

Our three year old WolfPack is going back to Indiana also. $50,000 unit and the floor has rotted out in the garage, to the point you would fall through. They have to tear the whole thing down. I know exactly what you mean by feeling sick.
1998 Honda 1100cc, American Ace Tourer
1955 model husband - a keeper

https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ies/yellow.jpg
Bikerhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandsphotography View Post
ah. the wonderful world of delamination!!! i too have an 09 flagstaff. an 831krss that developed delam on the back cap near the storage compartment door. I brought it back into my dealer a few weeks ago and they called forest river. We all thought that they were going to do the same thing as yours and have it sent back to the factory, but the decided since it was just the back cap to let the dealer repair it here. They've had it for about 3 weeks now and i talked to them today to see how it was progressing. He told me the back cap is on and finished but after further inspecting it seems water was somehow leaking down into the back possibly causing the delam in the first place, so now i'm getting a whole new roof also. no charge to me, of course. I'm pretty happy about that, but on the other hand it kinda makes you wonder what the heck is going on up there in Indiana at the factory that they seem to put out a sub-par product.
I guess any company all have their problems but i dont own any of the others, i own forest river so i'm not really concerned with anyone else's problems.
Seriously, i'm thinking of selling it when i get it back and just get outof rv'ing all together. It definitly doesnt work out to be any cheaper then going and stay at a hotel once a month once you figure in fuel, cost of the trailer, truck, etc and i dont have to pay for upkeep on a hotel!!!
I'm beginning to believe that owning a camper is as bad as owning a boat. You just continually dump money into it, and NEVER NEVER get it back.
Sure am sorry to hear all the problems a few are having. I have come to realize that the RV industry, across the board, lacks initiative to produce quality products. You should not have to spend in the $750K range to get an electrical wire run through a rubber grommet instead of a bare torched hole in a frame crossmember (example from a previously owned fifth wheel)! I just purchased a new Georgetown 350TS and I know the Ford chassis is probably the only real trouble free part of it(I hope)!! I chose Forest River because I believe they are strong enough to survive the economic slump. Unfortunately, when you buy any RV, being a handyman is more beneficial than being a millionaire! The economical benefits of owning any RV can be justified only by the salesman you buy from! What is important to me is when we lay our little grandaughter down at night, we KNOW the pillow and bed clothes are free from any viruses and STDs!! That is all the justification needed in my mind!
jd-ford-hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:07 AM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd-ford-hd View Post
Sure am sorry to hear all the problems a few are having. I have come to realize that the RV industry, across the board, lacks initiative to produce quality products. You should not have to spend in the $750K range to get an electrical wire run through a rubber grommet instead of a bare torched hole in a frame crossmember (example from a previously owned fifth wheel)! I just purchased a new Georgetown 350TS and I know the Ford chassis is probably the only real trouble free part of it(I hope)!! I chose Forest River because I believe they are strong enough to survive the economic slump. Unfortunately, when you buy any RV, being a handyman is more beneficial than being a millionaire! The economical benefits of owning any RV can be justified only by the salesman you buy from! What is important to me is when we lay our little grandaughter down at night, we KNOW the pillow and bed clothes are free from any viruses and STDs!! That is all the justification needed in my mind!
You nailed it, plus you decorate it up to your satisfaction and it's home. Wake up hungry and you have your food not a vending machine to snack off of. most important to me is I know the room and bed are always going to be comfortable. We've been to a few hotels in the past year when we took our daughter off to college and between the noise of the above people and the sheets that didn't quite fit the bed too well, I'll take my RV any day.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:36 PM   #10

My 07 Sabre had to go back because of delamination also[bought new in spring 08]. This trailer had been towed less than 1k and only used a few weeks.
It got both new sides, endcap, doors etc. For some reason it even got new axles put under it?
Forest river tried to shortchange me my 16inch rubber that I had upgraded to and I had to put the heat on them to send them back up north of the border [Canada]. The wheels arrived with the wheel weights stripped off and damaged.
The factory did not rewind the awning when they put it on the new side. The awning is also pulling out of the track that holds the tarp to the trailer for about one foot.
The factory did not tighten or adjust the slides and I found the adjustment bolts ready to fall out of both slides. The main slide was 2-3inches from going all the way out and 2inches from going all the way in.

I found out these problems after a shakedown trip and my dealer is speachless about all of it.

The factory quality control does not exist and I will never buy another Forest river product AGAIN!!
juicedcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
You nailed it, plus you decorate it up to your satisfaction and it's home. Wake up hungry and you have your food not a vending machine to snack off of. most important to me is I know the room and bed are always going to be comfortable. We've been to a few hotels in the past year when we took our daughter off to college and between the noise of the above people and the sheets that didn't quite fit the bed too well, I'll take my RV any day.

+1 on that. You could probably go on vacation for cheaper than camping, but for me and my situation (4 kids & 2 dogs) the camper is cheaper per trip if I consider that we typicaly rent a house not a hotel room. There is the upfront cost of the camper but having our own beds where ever we go is priceless. I don't like bed bugs!

Camping is more work, set up, clean up, repairs etc... but we are enjoying it!
Old 08-07-2010, 02:19 PM   #12

I am new to this forum thing but I was wondering how long the rubber roof delamination issue is warrantied by Forest River. I am looking at a 2003 Flagstaff in immaculate condition for a good price but I noticed there about 2 inches of delamination along the side of the roof on both sides with no cuts in the rubber. Will FR fix this?
1055fred is offline   Reply With Quote