Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2020, 05:10 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Stewart View Post
The following is CA's requirements for towing:

A driver must have a fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement added to his/her Class C driver license to pull a fifth-wheel recreational trailer over 10,000 lbs., but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, which is not used for hire. This endorsement is not required if the driver has a commercial or noncommercial Class A driver license.

It appears that you only need a written test to get the endorsement. DMV.CA.Gov

Yes, that is what guided me to the endorsement I have. Over 15k fifth wheel is a non-commercial Class A and requires written AND road test by a Class A tester (not your regular drive test guy, takes special appointment and they are tough, requires pre-trip inspection checklist prior to driving test, including tire pressure, etc.)
nayther is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:56 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Stewart View Post
The following is CA's requirements for towing:

A driver must have a fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement added to his/her Class C driver license to pull a fifth-wheel recreational trailer over 10,000 lbs., but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, which is not used for hire. This endorsement is not required if the driver has a commercial or noncommercial Class A driver license.

It appears that you only need a written test to get the endorsement. DMV.CA.Gov
When I lived in California, and had a 31' Alpenlite 5th wheel, this is what I had to get to be "legal". Just the written test - funny thing is - DMV folks basically had no idea what I was talking about when I told them what I needed. I now reside in Oregon and can basically drive, or pull pretty much anything I want.
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote