Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2019, 02:30 PM   #1

10k License restrictions

After owning our 262RGX for 2 1/2 years, I recently found out it is well above the GVWR limit for a class C license here in Nevada.

On the Cummins forum I saw a guy mention you need a "J" endorsement for anything over 10k GVWR here in Nevada. I had no clue after coming from two Class C's and our Wildcat is at 1170.

I started checking into taking the test for the endorsement and found it is a major PITA! First you take a written test at the DMV where I live, then need to tow the trailer to Reno 60 miles away for the driving test. Problem is, after you pass the written test they give you basically a learners permit to tow your own trailer, but you HAVE to have a passenger with the proper endoresement go with you to the driving test. If you show up without one, they can impound your rig. I don't know a soul with that license, let alone someone willing to give up their day to go with me.

We plan on moving out of state next spring or summer and will be living in our fiver until we find a new home in the southeast. I heard the highway patrol here in Nevada don't pay much attention to the special endorsement, but other states will. The last thing I want is to get pulled over or be in an accident in another state and not having the proper license. Consequently I am looking at trading our Wildcat in for another fiver less than 10k GVWR. There are plenty of them out there that are even the same size as ours such as the Cougar RKSWE which is the same basic layout as our Wildcat. It is right at 10k.

Really sucks as we had put a lot of money into this one and did not plan on getting another and losing our butts.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic98816_1.gif
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
After owning our 262RGX for 2 1/2 years, I recently found out it is well above the GVWR limit for a class C license here in Nevada.

On the Cummins forum I saw a guy mention you need a "J" endorsement for anything over 10k GVWR here in Nevada. I had no clue after coming from two Class C's and our Wildcat is at 1170.

I started checking into taking the test for the endorsement and found it is a major PITA! First you take a written test at the DMV where I live, then need to tow the trailer to Reno 60 miles away for the driving test. Problem is, after you pass the written test they give you basically a learners permit to tow your own trailer, but you HAVE to have a passenger with the proper endoresement go with you to the driving test. If you show up without one, they can impound your rig. I don't know a soul with that license, let alone someone willing to give up their day to go with me.

We plan on moving out of state next spring or summer and will be living in our fiver until we find a new home in the southeast. I heard the highway patrol here in Nevada don't pay much attention to the special endorsement, but other states will. The last thing I want is to get pulled over or be in an accident in another state and not having the proper license. Consequently I am looking at trading our Wildcat in for another fiver less than 10k GVWR. There are plenty of them out there that are even the same size as ours such as the Cougar RKSWE which is the same basic layout as our Wildcat. It is right at 10k.

Really sucks as we had put a lot of money into this one and did not plan on getting another and losing our butts.

Is that for commercial use or recreational or both . never heard of a special license to drive or tow a recreational TT 5th or motorhome
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Is that for commercial use or recreational or both . never heard of a special license to drive or tow a recreational TT 5th or motorhome
It is for anything I believe. I never heard of it either which is why I was stunned when I did. Then looked at my drivers license and in very tiny print on the back says "may tow a veh <10,000 lbs".

Old 12-29-2019, 02:51 PM   #4

Ive never heard of that restriction but get someone with clas A or B, or a CDL to accompany you. Those license exceed that classfication.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Ive never heard of that restriction but get someone with clas A or B, or a CDL to accompany you. Those license exceed that classfication.
Like I said, that is a huge pain in the butt for me and not worth it for the few months we have left to be living here.

Old 12-29-2019, 02:58 PM   #6

Towing over 26,000 here in Fl you need CDL.
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:13 PM   #7

Quote:
It is for anything I believe. I never heard of it either which is why I was stunned when I did. Then looked at my drivers license and in very tiny print on the back says "may tow a veh <10,000 lbs".
I wouldn't worry about it . I know many people from NV that drive class A's with no extra endorsement
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Like I said, that is a huge pain in the butt for me and not worth it for the few months we have left to be living here.
Yep, I understand, but can't help you with that.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
I wouldn't worry about it . I know many people from NV that drive class A's with no extra endorsement
You can drive a MH up to 26k with a Class C license, anything over that requres a non-commercial CDL.

Everyone I know says not to worry about it and I probably wouldn't if we weren't moving out of state going through 7 or 8 states. I have read that CHP have busted guys with Nevada plates pulling big toy haulers for not having the J endorsement. The biggest fear is getting in an accident.

Old 12-29-2019, 03:30 PM   #10

CA is a PITA for most things, but for a motorhome there is no restrictions if it is 40' or less. For 5vers you need a 'non commercial' class A if it exceeds 15000 #. I let my class A lapse after getting our DX3 as it is only 39' 2" long. The fact that it weighs 33000# is irrelevant in CA.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:33 PM   #11

Hey GTX....When I took my J endorsement(2012) it was for towing my boat(double tow)...The test was easy as was the driving test...just renewed my license in Nov. asked about the endorsement and was told they don;t do that anymore....so I would double check on it before getting upset....smiles.....
Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
paverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by paverdave View Post
Hey GTX....When I took my J endorsement(2012) it was for towing my boat(double tow)...The test was easy as was the driving test...just renewed my license in Nov. asked about the endorsement and was told they don;t do that anymore....so I would double check on it before getting upset....smiles.....
It is still on the DMV website, page 5 of this pdf file...
https://dmvnv.com/pdfforms/dlbookabj.pdf

I talked to a guy on the Cummins forum on the phone. He said he had to take it twice in Sparks because he forgot to mention the tire tread depth the first time. He said they are sticklers for safety stuff all before the actual driving test. You miss one thing, and you go home.

Then I still have that issue of not knowing anyone that would go there with me that has the proper endorsement. Just a big pain to pull a relatively small fiver or maybe I'm just over-thinking it.

Old 12-29-2019, 04:05 PM   #13

I would run across a scale to see what you actually do weigh. If you pole the members here I bet that a high percentage would not worry about it. Do you know where you are going to make your permanent state? If you do, I would check the rules there and see if you comply. Maybe you can transfer your license there a head of time.
Good luck.
H20loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 04:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20loo View Post
I would run across a scale to see what you actually do weigh. If you pole the members here I bet that a high percentage would not worry about it. Do you know where you are going to make your permanent state? If you do, I would check the rules there and see if you comply. Maybe you can transfer your license there a head of time.
Good luck.
Thanks. I don't think it really matters what you cross the scale at, it's that information sticker on the side of the rig that has the GVWR on it.

Currently our destination is southern Alabama. We are still checking things out. My wife wants to be closer to her son in Ft Lauderdale, FL as we get older. Florida is getting too populated for our tastes and is too flat.

Old 12-29-2019, 04:33 PM   #15
Retired Old Fart

I would call the NV DMV and ask them, as it appears there is a gap in their classes from that 10,000 trailer (typical 5'er) up to the 26,000 GCVW commercial threshhold.

https://dmvnv.com/nvdl.htm

Class C from NV website
Cars, vans, pickups, mopeds, and other vehicles with a weight (GVWR) of 26,000 pounds or less; allows towing of a vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less. Class C license holders may tow a combination of vehicles not to exceed 70 feet in length. If the GVWR of the towed vehicles exceeds 10,000 pounds, an Endorsement J is required.
In GA, where I live, they break it down further to include the GVWR language and specifically address RV's in the language on the DMV site. That is the gap I'm talking about in the info on the NV DMV site, they seem to jump from 10,000 to 26,000 with nothing for the gap.
Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating not in excess of 26,000 pounds, any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating not in excess of 10,000 pounds, any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating in excess of 10,000 pounds, provided that the combination of vehicles has a gross combined vehicle weight rating not in excess of 26,000 pounds, and any self-propelled or towed vehicle that is equipped to serve as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel purposes and is used solely as a family or personal conveyance.
FR website shows GVWR of the 262RGX is 11,860 so unless you are towing with a huge truck, you should be well under the 26,000 threshold.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 04:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
FR website shows GVWR of the 262RGX is 11,860 so unless you are towing with a huge truck, you should be well under the 26,000 threshold.

Yes, 26k is combined weight, but that doesn't alter the fact you cannot tow over 10k GVWR with a class c no matter what the tow vehicle is. This is from the PDF file I posted earlier...

Class C:

May drive any single vehicle or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of a vehicle for which a Class A or B driver’s license is required. May tow a combination of vehicles not to exceed 70 feet in length and not to exceed a combined weight rating or a combined weight of more than 10,000 pounds without any additional testing or endorsements.

Old 12-29-2019, 05:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
I would call the NV DMV and ask them, as it appears there is a gap in their classes from that 10,000 trailer (typical 5'er) up to the 26,000 GCVW commercial threshhold.

https://dmvnv.com/nvdl.htm

Class C from NV website
Cars, vans, pickups, mopeds, and other vehicles with a weight (GVWR) of 26,000 pounds or less; allows towing of a vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less. Class C license holders may tow a combination of vehicles not to exceed 70 feet in length. If the GVWR of the towed vehicles exceeds 10,000 pounds, an Endorsement J is required.
In GA, where I live, they break it down further to include the GVWR language and specifically address RV's in the language on the DMV site. That is the gap I'm talking about in the info on the NV DMV site, they seem to jump from 10,000 to 26,000 with nothing for the gap.
Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating not in excess of 26,000 pounds, any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating not in excess of 10,000 pounds, any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating in excess of 10,000 pounds, provided that the combination of vehicles has a gross combined vehicle weight rating not in excess of 26,000 pounds, and any self-propelled or towed vehicle that is equipped to serve as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel purposes and is used solely as a family or personal conveyance.
That’s the good thing (or maybe not). If you are towing a 25,000 pound trailer with your 40,000 pound motorhome then all you need is a standard driver’s license....as long as the trailer is an RV.
Also means you can drive a 55k Prevost with the Class C license.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:12 PM   #18
Retired

This web site might help with understanding RV license requirements per state:
http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml
Old 12-29-2019, 05:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
Towing over 26,000 here in Fl you need CDL.

Weight used to be included for FL RV laws but has changed. Florida law reads a CDL is required for commercial vehicles but all RVs as long as weight does not exceed roadway restrictions are exempt from any special permit is based on size, not weight.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyUS View Post
This web site might help with understanding RV license requirements per state:
RV Driver's License Requirements
The most recent data in that chart, according to the "review" date, is almost 6 years old. some of it apparently hasn't been reviewed in nearly 15 years.

Data of this type, that out-of-date, is worse than useless. They really should update the page or take it down.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote