Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2020, 11:37 PM   #61

Well guys, since I started this thread I have since made a 400 mile one way trip to Boise, Id. and traded the Wildcat for this mint '17 Jayco 28.5RTST with a GVWR of 9950. It is actually longer than the Wildcat by about 2 feet of living space, plus it has 3 slides instead of two. So now I am completely legal to pull it and wifey loves it.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic98816_1.gif
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:03 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
From the Nevada DMV web site. Note the words in bold. Is your RV used in commercial activity? Call them for clarification if needed:
https://dmvnv.com/cdl.htm
It's actually a non commercial endorsement or license classification that's required in Nevada based on weights:

Non-Commercial Vehicle Classifications

Class A May drive any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, provided the vehicle being towed has a
gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 10,000 pounds; or
Any combination of vehicles not exceeding 70 feet in length with a gross
combination weight rating of 26,000 pounds or less so long as the gross
combination weight rating of the towed vehicles does not exceed the gross
vehicle weight rating of the towing vehicle.

Class B May drive any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds, or any vehicle which is towing another vehicle which does not have a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds.

Class C May drive any single vehicle or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of a vehicle for which a Class A or B driver’s license is required. May tow a combination of vehicles not to exceed 70 feet in length and not to exceed a combined weight rating or a combined weight of more than 10,000 pounds without any additional testing or endorsements.

J Endorsement: Towing
May tow a vehicle (GVWR) or a combination of vehicles (GCWR) of more than
10,000 pounds. The combination of vehicles may not exceed 70 feet in length or
have a combined weight rating or a combined weight that exceeds 26,000
pounds. If the combination of the towing vehicle and the towed vehicle(s) exceed
26,000 lbs., a Class A license is required.
TominVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:44 AM   #63

That is a beautiful trailer and has a great floor plan. 2 feet longer and less weight- it’s amazing that they can do that. I guess it is just the ccc. With a 1600 ccc you will need to be cautious of overloading the trailer. I doubt that you will be able to keep everything out of your wildcat since it was a 3600 ccc.
With only 50 lbs less than your licence allows, I think I would want to scale the trailer every time I took it out. You wouldn’t want to be over gvwr and your licence.
That is certainly going to be an enjoyable trailer.
H20loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:12 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
The term CDL gets used very loosely on here. There are non-commercial class A and class B license that apply to non-commercial users of Cvs. Calling these CDL is very confusing and misleading to RV owners.
This is what I been saying. A CDL is required if your making money by driving. The other license in a state by state regulated drivers license based on weight.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:37 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20loo View Post
That is a beautiful trailer and has a great floor plan. 2 feet longer and less weight- it’s amazing that they can do that. I guess it is just the ccc. With a 1600 ccc you will need to be cautious of overloading the trailer. I doubt that you will be able to keep everything out of your wildcat since it was a 3600 ccc.
With only 50 lbs less than your licence allows, I think I would want to scale the trailer every time I took it out. You wouldn’t want to be over gvwr and your licence.
That is certainly going to be an enjoyable trailer.
Thanks, with just the wife and I we travel light and rarely dry camp so don't need a lot of water. Plus I will keep as much as I can in the truck. The dealer swapped out the brand new 16" Endurance tires and rims I had just put on the Wildcat, so I definitely have good rubber under it. One thing we want to do is get rid of the two VERY heavy swivel/rocker/reclining chairs and replace them with theater seating. Probably the heavy hide-a-bed in the rear as well and replace it with a lighter couch. Hopefully that will lighten things up a little.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic98816_1.gif
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:53 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
This is what I been saying. A CDL is required if your making money by driving. The other license in a state by state regulated drivers license based on weight.
Yes, you have been stating things correctly. But others misuse the term on the forum and it confuses people.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:53 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
Thanks, with just the wife and I we travel light and rarely dry camp so don't need a lot of water. Plus I will keep as much as I can in the truck. The dealer swapped out the brand new 16" Endurance tires and rims I had just put on the Wildcat, so I definitely have good rubber under it. One thing we want to do is get rid of the two VERY heavy swivel/rocker/reclining chairs and replace them with theater seating. Probably the heavy hide-a-bed in the rear as well and replace it with a lighter couch. Hopefully that will lighten things up a little.

Let me know if you are wanting to replace your hide-a-bed. I am looking for one for my MH.

Carl
Loranimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:54 AM   #68

Quote:
Well guys, since I started this thread I have since made a 400 mile one way trip to Boise, Id. and traded the Wildcat for this mint '17 Jayco 28.5RTST with a GVWR of 9950. It is actually longer than the Wildcat by about 2 feet of living space, plus it has 3 slides instead of two. So now I am completely legal to pull it and wifey loves it.

Looks great. Enjoy!
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:50 AM   #69

License Restrictions

The following is CA's requirements for towing:

A driver must have a fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement added to his/her Class C driver license to pull a fifth-wheel recreational trailer over 10,000 lbs., but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, which is not used for hire. This endorsement is not required if the driver has a commercial or noncommercial Class A driver license.

It appears that you only need a written test to get the endorsement. DMV.CA.Gov
Richard Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:47 PM   #70

Quote:
It is still on the DMV website, page 5 of this pdf file...
https://dmvnv.com/pdfforms/dlbookabj.pdf

I talked to a guy on the Cummins forum on the phone. He said he had to take it twice in Sparks because he forgot to mention the tire tread depth the first time. He said they are sticklers for safety stuff all before the actual driving test. You miss one thing, and you go home.

Then I still have that issue of not knowing anyone that would go there with me that has the proper endorsement. Just a big pain to pull a relatively small fiver or maybe I'm just over-thinking it.
Hi, I also live in Fallon! We should meet up! Too bad you are moving.
Anyway I bought a utility trailer in Reno. It's rated to handle 10k lbs but on the paper work they put 9999lbs just for the reason you are talking about.
I would be willing to bet whether an accident or pulled over, nobody would even bring this up.

My Smoker Adventure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BSZsmP5X78
Use code SPdiscount to buy on Amazon
spower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:27 PM   #71

Nevada: License

Quote:
After owning our 262RGX for 2 1/2 years, I recently found out it is well above the GVWR limit for a class C license here in Nevada.

On the Cummins forum I saw a guy mention you need a "J" endorsement for anything over 10k GVWR here in Nevada. I had no clue after coming from two Class C's and our Wildcat is at 1170.

I started checking into taking the test for the endorsement and found it is a major PITA! First you take a written test at the DMV where I live, then need to tow the trailer to Reno 60 miles away for the driving test. Problem is, after you pass the written test they give you basically a learners permit to tow your own trailer, but you HAVE to have a passenger with the proper endoresement go with you to the driving test. If you show up without one, they can impound your rig. I don't know a soul with that license, let alone someone willing to give up their day to go with me.

We plan on moving out of state next spring or summer and will be living in our fiver until we find a new home in the southeast. I heard the highway patrol here in Nevada don't pay much attention to the special endorsement, but other states will. The last thing I want is to get pulled over or be in an accident in another state and not having the proper license. Consequently I am looking at trading our Wildcat in for another fiver less than 10k GVWR. There are plenty of them out there that are even the same size as ours such as the Cougar RKSWE which is the same basic layout as our Wildcat. It is right at 10k.

Really sucks as we had put a lot of money into this one and did not plan on getting another and losing our butts.
Nevada: Class B license required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; Class A license required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb; “J” Endorsement required to tow a vehicle over 10,000 lb (if the combined weight is less than 26,000 lb)
2018 Ram 3500 I-6 DRW Crew Cab 8' bed 4:10 Ram Mopar direct mount 30k hitch 2018 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 34' 8298ws Pub kitchen
Days camped 2018 120 days 2019 164 days
WeLoveCampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:59 PM   #72
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Just an FYI for anyone interested.

https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Servic...s/default.aspx
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:29 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddiva View Post
Hi, I also live in Fallon! We should meet up! Too bad you are moving.
Anyway I bought a utility trailer in Reno. It's rated to handle 10k lbs but on the paper work they put 9999lbs just for the reason you are talking about.
I would be willing to bet whether an accident or pulled over, nobody would even bring this up.

Wow... Three people from Fallon! Such a small world.

Carl
Loranimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:27 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
PA requires a non commercial CDL/class A. for GVWR over 26,000 lbs. and has been required for quite some time.
Drivers test required but no written exam.
CDL stands for Commercial Drivers License. You would never need a DCL for non commercial driving. One would need a Non-commercial drivers license of the proper class, "A" or "B". Class "A" is for combinations over 26k and "B" is for straight trucks over 26K.
Galleher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:42 AM   #75
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galleher View Post
CDL stands for Commercial Drivers License. You would never need a DCL for non commercial driving. One would need a Non-commercial drivers license of the proper class, "A" or "B". Class "A" is for combinations over 26k and "B" is for straight trucks over 26K.

I think my post from Penn Dot was self explanatory and clearly to the point.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:11 AM   #76

With all these requirements from different states it makes me glad I live somewhere that lets me pull or drive any RV using the same license required to drive a car.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:00 PM   #77

Talking

PA requires a non commercial CDL/class A. for GVWR over 26,000 lbs. and has been required for quite some time.

You failed to see my point. A non commercial CDL is a contradiction of terms. CDL stands for Commercial Drivers License so it is impossible to have a non commercial CDL. The license would be a non commercial class "A" or "B".
As a commercial driver for over 30 years and an RV owner, I am quite familiar with both commercial and non commercial driving.
Galleher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:11 PM   #78

Get the popcorn!!!!!
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:14 PM   #79

I guess for semantics it could be referred to as NCDL🤪
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:28 PM   #80
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galleher View Post

You failed to see my point. A non commercial CDL is a contradiction of terms. CDL stands for Commercial Drivers License so it is impossible to have a non commercial CDL. The license would be a non commercial class "A" or "B".
As a commercial driver for over 30 years and an RV owner, I am quite familiar with both commercial and non commercial driving.

Your point clearly stated in the Pen DOT attachment... what don't you get? My hair hurts and I don't have any