Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2021, 01:42 PM   #21
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderMore View Post
You would probably do better to just buy a pancake compressor for at home and sell the Viair for more than the pancake compressor.
That's a thought, but I do want to keep the Viair for the RV.
Old 04-01-2021, 01:58 PM   #22
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Can't blame you. It's nice to know you have it on road, even though I've only used it once at the beach topping off tires. And helped out a neighbor at the same park with it. I got it because of all the guys on this site saying how great it is! The Cadillac of portable compressors.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Keep the Viair. You'll always have 12V when traveling; you won't always have 110V.

Are you in a stationary location now with garage storage? If so, I concur with the suggestion of an inexpensive tank compressor if the battery clamps are aggravating. I'm in a house but don't use the compressor often enough that it bothers me to hook it up to the truck.

Alternatively, mount a Anderson connector on the outside of your vehicle and make an extension cord out of #10 wire? You'll have to consider the voltage drop when deciding the length.

That requires a matching connector on the pump. Cut the wire and add a pair of Andersen connectors on it. That way you can swap the battery clamps with the extension cord. Leave the stub on the pump long enough to plug that directly into the one on the truck without the extension cord.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:59 PM   #24

They recommend that you keep your engine running while using the ViAir. If you don't, you will lower the battery voltage which makes the compressor overheat. I burned up a couple of cheap compressors before I learned that lesson. The battery in my Jump Starter/Compressor is only a 20 amp-hour battery. Works great for jumping most vehicles, and you can charge your phone and run an LED work light if needed. My ViAir compressor will fill my truck tires faster than I can let air out. I let air out on rough roads to smooth the ride.
Old 04-04-2021, 02:10 AM   #25

Quote:
I’ve got a Viair 12v compressor that I bought while fulltime. Lately to use them at home, I’ve been plugging into the truck and dragging air hoses around. It’s annoying.

Any idea how I can power this at home? Just a simple battery charger?
I understand your frustration. I ended up buying a $50 1/3 hp compressor from Harbor Freight and a 25ft coil hose. It handled my air nailer and 1/2 in impact. It doesn't weight much and the hose doesn't get all tangled up. If needed it will run off my 1500 watt inverter in my barn if needed.

KE8SDQ
Ryan-OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:55 AM   #26

I went from no compressor to 26 gallon 100ft hose, found a small pancake compressor with short hose for $20 at garage sale. Got a battery jumper it has an air pump on it, however my go to for filling up rafts, tubes, 1 or 2 tires. I reach for my Ryobi air pump on tires I set the psi and walk away. Does great battery last for awhile plus I have 6 or so extra batteries from my other Ryobi tools
Old 04-04-2021, 08:33 AM   #27

I’ve been using my viair with a battery pack for a while now- mine has the alligator clips so I just keep them separate and turn it on. I’ve gotten more use out of the battery pack by helping the occasional camper whose kids leave the lights on in the minivan. Jumped 3 cars and one rv over a cold weekend.

NOCO Boost HD GB70 2000 Amp 12-Volt UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter Box, Car Battery Booster Pack, Portable Power Bank Charger, and Jumper Cables For 8-Liter Gasoline and 6-Liter Diesel Engines https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016UG6PWE...DDC2VD8P2KWWJ6

This holds its charge well and is usually half price on Prime Day

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:22 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
They recommend that you keep your engine running while using the ViAir. If you don't, you will lower the battery voltage which makes the compressor overheat. …
I hadn't considered the issue of low voltage = higher current. I haven't always run the truck engine when I use the compressor. I will, now.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:30 PM   #29
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
They recommend that you keep your engine running while using the ViAir. If you don't, you will lower the battery voltage which makes the compressor overheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
I hadn't considered the issue of low voltage = higher current. I haven't always run the truck engine when I use the compressor. I will, now.
Chris, same. I almost never am running the truck when I'm topping tires up. I didn't see the point of burning fuel and figured there was always enough juice in the batteries to start the truck the next time. But I'll rethink that!
Old 04-05-2021, 03:31 PM   #30
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
I’ve been using my viair with a battery pack for a while now- mine has the alligator clips so I just keep them separate and turn it on. I’ve gotten more use out of the battery pack by helping the occasional camper whose kids leave the lights on in the minivan. Jumped 3 cars and one rv over a cold weekend.

NOCO Boost HD GB70 2000 Amp 12-Volt UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter Box, Car Battery Booster Pack, Portable Power Bank Charger, and Jumper Cables For 8-Liter Gasoline and 6-Liter Diesel Engines https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016UG6PWE...DDC2VD8P2KWWJ6

This holds its charge well and is usually half price on Prime Day
Thanks for the link and personal experience with it! I'll watch for a sale on these.
Old 04-05-2021, 03:44 PM   #31

I have an even larger one of those, said it will crank a 10 liter diesel. It would NOT crank my Caterpillar C9. Not even close. Cars yes, but they far over-estimate the cranking power when you really try to use it somewhere near the limit they advertise. And, it was a warm spring day. Hooked up jumper cables from my truck and it cranked right up.
Old 04-05-2021, 03:50 PM   #32
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
I have an even larger one of those, said it will crank a 10 liter diesel. It would NOT crank my Caterpillar C9. Not even close. Cars yes, but they far over-estimate the cranking power when you really try to use it somewhere near the limit they advertise. And, it was a warm spring day. Hooked up jumper cables from my truck and it cranked right up.
Fortunately I'm not actually expecting it to crank my diesel.