Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2021, 01:20 PM   #1
Always Learning

12v at home for air compressor

I’ve got a Viair 12v compressor that I bought while fulltime. Lately to use them at home, I’ve been plugging into the truck and dragging air hoses around. It’s annoying.

Any idea how I can power this at home? Just a simple battery charger?
Old 03-31-2021, 01:57 PM   #2

A battery charger won't likely have enough current by itself. You may be able to find a 12v power supply, but one that can provide 15+ amps that the compressor likely needs could get pricey.

Imo, your best bet is a 12v battery. Could be a smaller cheap one, like for a lawn tractor. Keep that on a trickle charger when not in use, and it should last you a long time.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:05 PM   #3

Even though I have 120 volt compressors at home, I don't drag the compressor or a long hose around. I just pump up a 10 gallon portable air tank with it's short hose and chuck on it. The 10 gallon tank will fill many tires and even run staplers and small nailers for quite a while. I also use the portable tank (with a regulator) to blow out the water lines for winterizing the motorhome. I mount motorcycle, trailer, and car tires and seat the beads with the portable tank.

So you could use your 12 volt compressor to pump up a portable tank at your truck., then just carry the tank to where air is needed. It will likely hold enough air for several small jobs.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:30 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

A 12v portable power pack might work for you...

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:46 PM   #5

That compressor is going to have a rather high current demand, something with a decent sized battery is going to be the answer. For example the power pack above.
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Even though I have 120 volt compressors at home, I don't drag the compressor or a long hose around. I just pump up a 10 gallon portable air tank with it's short hose and chuck on it. The 10 gallon tank will fill many tires and even run staplers and small nailers for quite a while. I also use the portable tank (with a regulator) to blow out the water lines for winterizing the motorhome. I mount motorcycle, trailer, and car tires and seat the beads with the portable tank.

So you could use your 12 volt compressor to pump up a portable tank at your truck., then just carry the tank to where air is needed. It will likely hold enough air for several small jobs.
I picked up a nice, LIGHT, aluminum 7 gallon air tank at Harbor Freight. Very convenient to use as you recommend.

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...ank-94801.html
Kcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 03:02 PM   #7
Always Learning

So far, I'm liking the single device aspect of the power pack.

This all started because my daughter wanted to blow up a bunch of balloons for my son tonight for tomorrow. I wanted to be able to set her up in the shed which is further than my air hoses reach.

So my wife is at Walmart now picking up a battery- finger's crossed it comes with enough of a charge to work for the night. But now I also have to pickup a charger. The good news is this would work double-duty for powering my CPAP machine during the next power outage.

I'm not enthusiastic about the air tank because I was seeing spec weights of like 30 lbs. on them. Though, it would definitely work. Plus, I can't go double-duty with it (which totally wasn't an original requirement).
Old 03-31-2021, 05:24 PM   #8
Trailer Park Supervisor

I'm thinking the converter is our RV's would be more than enough DC current to operate the Viair. Just need to figure out splicing into a DC circuit. But for future use, you don't need high pressure, just high volume. Less than 20 bucks you can use a balloon inflator! https://www.amazon.com/Party-Zealot-.../dp/B07JC188M6
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:36 PM   #9

I have a Jump box with a 12 volt plugin. I use that with a air pump and to run my trailer winch.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:46 PM   #10
CGK
Camping with Labs

You didn't mention which Viair model you have. Some have the 12V plugs, but the more powerful ones like our RVS-300 require a direct hook-up to the battery because the draw is too much for a standard plug. There is also a warning to be sure the vehicle is running, or if a direct connection to the RV battery you need a 120V electric source to power the converter so the battery isn't drained by the Viair. I'm sure you could calculate the draw from your Viair model, and you'll want to be sure you aren't draining that battery beyond prescribed limits (i.e. you don't want to kill your new battery). Hope it works for you - good luck!
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

I'm not enthusiastic about the air tank because I was seeing spec weights of like 30 lbs. on them. Though, it would definitely work. Plus, I can't go double-duty with it (which totally wasn't an original requirement).

30 pounds? I have a 5 gallon portable air tank, not sure what it weighs, but I can lift it with my little finger. Mine is a no-name unit that I use to blow out the breather holes in my Pella windows. I fill it to 90 psi and have enough air to do at least 5 windows, 4 holes per window.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:25 PM   #12

How about an AC to DC converter like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Ac-Dc-Convert...o+Dc+Converter
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Gail View Post
Those can't supply the amps required.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:28 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
You didn't mention which Viair model you have. Some have the 12V plugs, but the more powerful ones like our RVS-300 require a direct hook-up to the battery because the draw is too much for a standard plug. There is also a warning to be sure the vehicle is running, or if a direct connection to the RV battery you need a 120V electric source to power the converter so the battery isn't drained by the Viair. I'm sure you could calculate the draw from your Viair model, and you'll want to be sure you aren't draining that battery beyond prescribed limits (i.e. you don't want to kill your new battery). Hope it works for you - good luck!
Yeah, it's the big daddy 450P with big alligator clips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
30 pounds? I have a 5 gallon portable air tank, not sure what it weighs, but I can lift it with my little finger. Mine is a no-name unit that I use to blow out the breather holes in my Pella windows. I fill it to 90 psi and have enough air to do at least 5 windows, 4 holes per window.
I saw a 10 gallon one that had specs of 30 pounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Gail View Post
I wonder if this would work. It has big posts and says up to 50 amps:

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Sup...dp/B082NSVWJY/
Old 04-01-2021, 12:29 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyCorp View Post
Imo, your best bet is a 12v battery. Could be a smaller cheap one, like for a lawn tractor. Keep that on a trickle charger when not in use, and it should last you a long time.
My wife bought a cheap little lawn tractor battery for $35 at Walmart (with the core charge). This got my through the balloon inflation, but I'm not 100% certain if I'm keeping it or what my plan is.

I'd like something to also power my CPAP machine in an emergency. I have a little inverter that I should be able to connect up to it. But I'm liking the idea of an all-in-one portable power pack. And buying the batter + charger, I'm not going to be horrendously different in price.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:38 PM   #16
Trailer Park Supervisor

18 bucks for the balloon inflation device! Weight: 2.25 lbs.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:57 PM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
18 bucks for the balloon inflation device! Weight: 2.25 lbs.
Yeah, but it only inflates balloons! What about my nailer? Or car tires? Or... you know, all the things?

Interesting to note, the air compressor didn't move enough air to quickly fill large balloons and was loud as we started a little past midnight. Daughter and I filled most of the 100+ bigger balloons by mouth. The last 30 were smaller and harder to fill and the air compressor worked nicely for them.
Old 04-01-2021, 01:09 PM   #18
Trailer Park Supervisor

That's actually why I recommended that for the balloons. You need high flow, not high pressure. The nailer will never work on the Viair. Need some sort of accumulator. I've had a cheap Walmart air tank I threw a coiled air hose with pressure gauge on for the last 20 years. I think I paid 20 bucks for it. Came in handy when I started driving on beaches and had to 'air-down' tires and then get some air back into them before hitting the blacktop again.
Old 04-01-2021, 01:12 PM   #19
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
That's actually why I recommended that for the balloons. You need high flow, not high pressure. The nailer will never work on the Viair. Need some sort of accumulator. I've had a cheap Walmart air tank I threw a coiled air hose with pressure gauge on for the last 20 years. I think I paid 20 bucks for it. Came in handy when I started driving on beaches and had to 'air-down' tires and then get some air back into them before hitting the blacktop again.
I had a pool float device that didn't have enough oomph to blow up the balloons. I bet the balloon inflator would have been good. Daughter decided on the AFD prank at the last minute so no time to order an inflator. Though, I bet we may have been able to find one around.

Believe it or not, the small nailer I have works just fine on the Viair. The compressor kicks on a bunch, but there's enough pressure in the 50' of air hose I've been using to make it work.
Old 04-01-2021, 01:36 PM   #20

You would probably do better to just buy a pancake compressor for at home and sell the Viair for more than the pancake compressor.