Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2020, 10:50 AM   #41

Wow, this thread confuses me.

I have had an RV with a residential fridge, one with a 3 way, and now one with a 2 way. I'd much rather have a big residential again. My understanding is that if you can live with a residential, you should be able to live with a 12v. From what my research tells me, a 12v cools much faster, has a larger interior in the same space, and the one thing nobody's talked about is that it should have a reduced if not almost completely eliminated fire hazard. Most RV fires are due to the fridge, and every one I've seen has been from a 2 way or 3 way fridge.
Old 12-04-2020, 01:03 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
Wow, this thread confuses me.

I have had an RV with a residential fridge, one with a 3 way, and now one with a 2 way. I'd much rather have a big residential again. My understanding is that if you can live with a residential, you should be able to live with a 12v. From what my research tells me, a 12v cools much faster, has a larger interior in the same space, and the one thing nobody's talked about is that it should have a reduced if not almost completely eliminated fire hazard. Most RV fires are due to the fridge, and every one I've seen has been from a 2 way or 3 way fridge.
Yep, sounds like you are confused. Residential are 120V only, same as in a house. Sounds like you are referring to the 120v/LP/12v, and 120v/LP reefers used in all RV's since who the heck knows.

The thing about the 12v reefers being used today is that they are failing rather quickly. The Furrion brand is the worst in this case, experienced it myself. The second thing is that they are touted as being boondock ready, that they can go a day on a charge and the solar panel setup, AKA Juice Pack can let them go 7 days, which is far from the truth. With the standard Juice pack and the batteries dealers provide, if you get 6 hours you are lucky, and forget about an overnight run even if the battery is fully charged before put to use.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:19 PM   #43

I wasn't confused in regards to residential 120v vs 12v. I know and totally understand the differences there. I'm just surprised to hear the complaints about BOTH 120v and 12v reefers, as I'd rather have a 120v or 12v vs. a two way or 3 way with gas.

Furrion branded stuff is horrible. In many cases, their stuff is a complete joke.

In my prior RVs, boondocking meant that I'd need to run the generator at times. I realize that's not what we are talking about here, but for me it was. In my last RV, there was nothing like getting to the campsite and firing up the diesel generator with over 100 gallons of fuel available. For that kind of camping, I'd much rather have a residential than a dual fuel reefer.
Old 12-04-2020, 01:19 PM   #44

I think this decision is based almost completely on how you camp the majority of the time. We have the 12V Everchill in our Salem 263. I would never want the gas/electric combo. The 12v is 10.7 cubic feet as opposed to the standard 6 cubic foot gas/electric. We never boondock and always have shore power. For us it's a no brainer. It cools faster, and has nearly double the storage capacity. That said, I totally understand people who prefer the traditional style. I have heard numerous people say that the things drain a battery much faster than advertised. As others have also said, I think the primary reason Forest River is moving to them is because they are so much cheaper.
FrankH35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:42 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
I wasn't confused in regards to residential 120v vs 12v. I know and totally understand the differences there. I'm just surprised to hear the complaints about BOTH 120v and 12v reefers, as I'd rather have a 120v or 12v vs. a two way or 3 way with gas.

Furrion branded stuff is horrible. In many cases, their stuff is a complete joke.

In my prior RVs, boondocking meant that I'd need to run the generator at times. I realize that's not what we are talking about here, but for me it was. In my last RV, there was nothing like getting to the campsite and firing up the diesel generator with over 100 gallons of fuel available. For that kind of camping, I'd much rather have a residential than a dual fuel reefer.
AH, I gotcha. Residential refrigerators are not designed for Hurriquakes, and that's why you see and read a lot of complaints. They are designed to be fixed in one place and not moved around. They also need proper airflow which many RV's do not provide since they are put in the same spot as the LP reefers without consideration of air flow. The compressor and lines are not meant to be bounced around and especially the LG and Samsung units are prone to compressor failures, which makes repairing them troublesome when installed in an RV, then there is the warranty part. If under warranty by the RV manufacturer, it can get dicey if someone moves the fridge that is not covered, or some such thing and then a warranty if voided or whatever. Just not something I would put up with. Getting it out of the trailer requires removing a window if they are big enough, or pulling out the slide to remove it since they don't fit through the standard RV door.

I have had 2 LG refrigerators in my house, both went bad within a few years of getting one. The first was wile under warranty and after 6 attempts and 4 months, LG gave up and refunded the cost, and I had to replace it. I bought a Kenmore and it too was LG under the hood, and it failed, after warranty, and would have cost $600 to replace the compressor which may not fix it, labor is not included with the 10 year compressor warranty. I took a look since I can do AC work if I need to, and with all the tiny capillary lines and such can see why replacing the compressor may not fix it. If the compressor puked out oil which the majority do when they go bad, then the evaporators get clogged and have to be replaced. The lines are extremely thin going to them and that is why I would never want one in an RV, with all the jostling around the compressor goes though and if running while being bounced around it can force oil into the evaporators, killing the unit.

If its a parked RV that never sees the road, a residential will work just fine, but for those of us who travel all over with one, the risk of failure is just WAY too high.

From what I have heard, the Everchill seems to be a good one, so fingers crossed the one they are putting in to replace the Furrion in mine will last.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 01:56 PM   #46

I'm stumbling upon this thread. We just put a down payment on 2121 2509s with the 12v electric only fridge. We camp with no hookups 1-3 times a year with a generator and 2 marine RV batteries. I've been looking at this solar stuff for the last few days and my head is going to explode. I've never felt so lost lol. Anyway, I'm fairly certain that I want to go get a portable 200w panel to try and catch the sun as much as possible. We are also in NY and camp in a heavily wooded area so I feel the roof mounted unit won't be as efficient. Beyond that I'm so confused and hell I don't even know where the inverter is on this thing to upgrade it if I needed too lol.
JE78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:35 PM   #47

The solar market is interesting.

All equipment is tested in somewhere other than your environment. Thus their specs are puffing. You will never see the unit perform as sold! It is sort of fraud to sell solar water heaters in your area.

You know about trees and clouds. Living up north reduces the performance as well. Angle to the sun and duration.

Campgrounds sometimes do not allow solar panels everywhere.

Folks in the Midwest report 25 amp hours of output on their best day for a 100 watt panel. P=IV.

Likely you need a minimum of 100 ah per day. 4 panels if your roof is big enough. So likely you need 8 panels and $2500 worth of batteries. And a new converter and battery monitor. Because you have to plan for cloudy days. More panels and batteries. So as to not use the generator. $5k or so.

Or run the generator every day. Likely the more system you have the less the generator runs. We do it in the morning so the DW uses the coffee pot and the microwave.

For now keep learning. Save up. I bought a 400 amp hour battery bank(200 ah usable). Never the rest of the stuff. We can go overnight without running the generator. Perfect for Harvest Host stays. It will become clear.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 03:56 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
The solar market is interesting.

All equipment is tested in somewhere other than your environment. Thus their specs are puffing. You will never see the unit perform as sold! It is sort of fraud to sell solar water heaters in your area.

You know about trees and clouds. Living up north reduces the performance as well. Angle to the sun and duration.

Campgrounds sometimes do not allow solar panels everywhere.

Folks in the Midwest report 25 amp hours of output on their best day for a 100 watt panel. P=IV.

Likely you need a minimum of 100 ah per day. 4 panels if your roof is big enough. So likely you need 8 panels and $2500 worth of batteries. And a new converter and battery monitor. Because you have to plan for cloudy days. More panels and batteries. So as to not use the generator. $5k or so.

Or run the generator every day. Likely the more system you have the less the generator runs. We do it in the morning so the DW uses the coffee pot and the microwave.

For now keep learning. Save up. I bought a 400 amp hour battery bank(200 ah usable). Never the rest of the stuff. We can go overnight without running the generator. Perfect for Harvest Host stays. It will become clear.
I have no issues running a generator each day. Where we stay has 6hrs of geny time per day. With the default 190 watt panel on top, I want to add a portable one as well with the same wattage. I have 2 batteries wired together. Is there already a battery bank installed or is that some that would be added?
Old 07-02-2021, 05:38 PM   #49

This is an interesting topic, I went the 12v fridge because I didn't want a 110v fridge. Sold in a package with a 190w solar panel is really only a starter pack. Why they don't offer multiple solar panels as well is a little disappointing. When I take delivery my first upgrade will be to add plenty of solar on the roof, hopefully in excess of 800w
Old 07-02-2021, 08:48 PM   #50

So the stock controller in the 2509s handles 1000 watts. I would assume in my situation with 6hrs of generator time if get close to 500w I should be fine. My friends dad just bought a camper with the same fridge and added a portable panel and boondocked for a week and had no issues.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:15 PM   #51
Retired Army MSG!

I personally think as an old grumpy retired military guy that has camped in everything from military pup tents to my current 5vr that a lot of people need to go back to hotels and let us that know what is going on in an RV camp and quit taking up sites that we want to use and enjoy and not sweat the small stuff.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:44 PM   #52

I believe I posted earlier (too many topics Iím following), I recently took delivery of a MiniLite 2513s, and ordered it with 2-190w panels. Maybe the extra panel is only available on specific FR makes. Thereís room for 2 more, but it would require a larger inverter as I understand. Still learning, but very happy so far.
1940 Chevy Special Deluxe
1946 Aeronca 7AC Champion
rvflyer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:55 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvflyer57 View Post
I believe I posted earlier (too many topics Iím following), I recently took delivery of a MiniLite 2513s, and ordered it with 2-190w panels. Maybe the extra panel is only available on specific FR makes. Thereís room for 2 more, but it would require a larger inverter as I understand. Still learning, but very happy so far.
Thank's. I have to assume if they are offering the 190 on top and then another hookup on the on the side for portable that the inverter supplied will support it. We go see the unit tomorrow and i'm going to ask 101 questions about solar!
Old 07-02-2021, 10:13 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris61 View Post
This is an interesting topic, I went the 12v fridge because I didn't want a 110v fridge. Sold in a package with a 190w solar panel is really only a starter pack. Why they don't offer multiple solar panels as well is a little disappointing. When I take delivery my first upgrade will be to add plenty of solar on the roof, hopefully in excess of 800w
You can order it with 2 panels but that doesn't seem to be publicized much and dealers buy with only a single panel for their inventory.

An advantage of getting 2 panels from the factory is that they add sheet metal reinforcement in the roof at the point of attachment. But many people screw their DIY panels to the unreinforced roof without a problem.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:15 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE78 View Post
Thank's. I have to assume if they are offering the 190 on top and then another hookup on the on the side for portable that the inverter supplied will support it. We go see the unit tomorrow and i'm going to ask 101 questions about solar!
The hookup on the side goes directly to the battery. It's just a wire and does not pass through the charge controller. The assumption is you'll use a solar suitcase that includes a charge controller in that kit.

The inverter is downstream of the battery. There is no dependency between it and the charge controller.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:01 PM   #56

Je78

The salesman at the rv dealer is the last person I would ask! Expect less than 50% correct answers. It is your money! He wins whatever you do.

With a 12 volt fridge without lots of batteries and solar panels you will not be happy boondocking the second day.

You will need 100 ah or more of battery per day. Two cheap marine batteries and a 200 watt(50 ah on its best day)solar panel will not cut it. About $3-5,000 worth of gear is needed.

Buy a good generator and a battery monitor. After a while you will be better educated.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:52 AM   #57

Hmm...

Quote:
I believe I posted earlier (too many topics Iím following),...
At the bar at the top, click "SearchV" (between "New Posts" and "Quick LinksV") and then click either "View all your posts" or "View all your posts (in this forum)".
Quote:
Maybe the extra panel is only available on specific FR makes. Thereís room for 2 more, but it would require a larger inverter as I understand. Still learning, but very happy so far.
No. The amount/rate of charge you put INTO the battery is independent of the amount/rate of charge you draw OUT of it. What you might need is a larger CHARGE CONTROLLER.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:24 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE78 View Post
I'm stumbling upon this thread. We just put a down payment on 2121 2509s with the 12v electric only fridge. We camp with no hookups 1-3 times a year with a generator and 2 marine RV batteries. I've been looking at this solar stuff for the last few days and my head is going to explode. I've never felt so lost lol. Anyway, I'm fairly certain that I want to go get a portable 200w panel to try and catch the sun as much as possible. We are also in NY and camp in a heavily wooded area so I feel the roof mounted unit won't be as efficient. Beyond that I'm so confused and hell I don't even know where the inverter is on this thing to upgrade it if I needed too lol.
We are mostly in the Adirondacks. On a GOOD day, I can get 10 amps for at least 5 hours with two 100 watt panels on the ground. Maybe a tad more, but this is also with me at the camp site fussing over them and chasing the shadows away. At other sites that are more wide open, I only need to move them once during the day, and once at night to be aimed for morning. That means about 50 amp-hours, maybe more. Since the fridge will likely ( based on actual data from a forum member here) consume 80 ah/ day, if I had the fridge, I would be at a net loss of 30 ah. I also have 280 ah of lithium, soma good reserve for that loss, and a couple rainy days. But by day three of crappy weather, I would need some juice to stay comfortably above the bottom of my batteries. With the other proximal loads, figure 100 ah minimum per day. Two and a half days max with no input from solar or gen.
Bottom line as I see it, you really should consider a 300 ah chins battery from amazon, or spend twice that on three battleborn or similar. Just my opinion, some have been fine on a coup,e golf cart batteries, but they weigh twice as much, donít last as long before their performance drops off, and require maintenance. Also, the lithium is much more efficient at taking a charge and giving it back without loss.
Old 07-03-2021, 09:54 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenludwig View Post
I have had both over the years (110v / auto switch to gas) and now have , 12v only hands down the 110v / auto switch to gas is MUCH better we have joined Harvest Host so we r now "boon docking" more. I replaced my 24 series battery with a 29 series battery would like to have put 2 on but not enough room in the battery bracket setup which has helped I also bought a solar panel which also helped we go with other campers and they have no problems really wish I had the 2 way refrigerator in this new Forest River camper. also sleeping at night u can hear the compressor come on n kinda noisy... I think my old camper (2016) with 2 way refrigerator cooled fast and quiet on gas... HANDS DOWN 2 way refrigerator is much better.....
There is a lot of energy in a bottle of propane! Also, often overlooked, is the noise. No moving parts in an absorption fridge.

Tags
fridge, lite, rockwood