Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2020, 10:02 PM   #61
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 88
Chinook Pilots - Definition of Courage

I read that one Chinook pilot who took part in the rescue said he had flown in combat, and getting in and out of the lake rescue area was the most frightening thing he had ever done, because the smoke obscured the hills so significantly.
I uneasy circling in the fog over a major airport. I can't imagine having to fly through blinding smoke in narrow corridors between the hills.
__________________
2008 Forest River/Flagstaff M-205 Mac
2006 Toyota Sequoia
OutOfTheTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:08 PM   #62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott V. View Post
And living anywhere in the Sierra Foothills these days is taking a chance on a destructive wildfire coming through. Moc fire is a good example and a great catch by CalFire to stop it where they did.
Do you think with 1.8m invested I should just walk away?
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:55 AM   #63
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 4,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
Do you think with 1.8m invested I should just walk away?
From your previous post, I think you've done everything you can to protect your property and keep yourself safe.
Anyone who thinks that they can camp or live in a forested area and not be threatened by a forest fire hasn't looked carefully at their forest and seen all the trees that have been killed by an invasive species or drought.
Those campers did nothing wrong. The campground would have been closed down if anyone had predicted the fire a threat.
__________________
2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
Reverse_snowbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:39 AM   #64
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheTent View Post
I read that one Chinook pilot who took part in the rescue said he had flown in combat, and getting in and out of the lake rescue area was the most frightening thing he had ever done, because the smoke obscured the hills so significantly.
I uneasy circling in the fog over a major airport. I can't imagine having to fly through blinding smoke in narrow corridors between the hills.
As I said, the hardest part of the lake rescue would be to/from the lake. If the lake was big enough, and I had a CG helicopter with radar and radar altimeter and power to hover out of ground effect ( lot of ifs the Chinook may not have had), I might try the CG radar instrument descent from above the smoke rather than a nap of the earth entrance and exit. We used to do that occasionally with a boat/ship in the fog at sea. And we were not as skilled at nap of the earth navigation as Army pilots; they weren't so hot at open ocean navigation.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:38 AM   #65
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
From your previous post, I think you've done everything you can to protect your property and keep yourself safe.
Anyone who thinks that they can camp or live in a forested area and not be threatened by a forest fire hasn't looked carefully at their forest and seen all the trees that have been killed by an invasive species or drought.
Those campers did nothing wrong. The campground would have been closed down if anyone had predicted the fire a threat.
I am not implying that they did anything wrong, itís that one cannot depend on the government to do everything for them. In this case those forest areas that have that high of a percentage of dead trees should have been shut down a long time ago. Then take care of the problem. Those trees were dead many years ago.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:50 AM   #66
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Western New York State
Posts: 1,489
To the post about Paradise, the first problem was believing anything from ABC, NBC or CBS too.

It is somewhat sad reading the posts from those that actually live in California and know a heck of alot more than someone like me of what is exactly going on in there home state. I don't recall seeing any of the posts talk about any kind of proactive actions taken by the state to try to lessen the magnitude of these massive fires.

This moring I saw governor Newsom (on NBC!) touring some of the burned out areas and blame all the destruction from......as the result of course of climate change and global warming!
__________________
sherman12 and The Fabulous Miss Barb
2014 SportsCoach Cross Country 360DL DP
Former 2011 Georgetown 330TS
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:12 AM   #67
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
To the post about Paradise, the first problem was believing anything from ABC, NBC or CBS too.

It is somewhat sad reading the posts from those that actually live in California and know a heck of alot more than someone like me of what is exactly going on in there home state. I don't recall seeing any of the posts talk about any kind of proactive actions taken by the state to try to lessen the magnitude of these massive fires.

This moring I saw governor Newsom (on NBC!) touring some of the burned out areas and blame all the destruction from......as the result of course of climate change and global warming!
Of course thatís his agenda, meanwhile here at my house in the Sierra foothills it is 45 degrees this morning. He he never mentioned one word about the 85% of dead trees that have been sitting there for years while the former governor and him are wasting billions on a train set that if ever finished will only go 1/8 of the distance approved by the voters.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:18 AM   #68
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
The dead trees are in the USFS property are they not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
Of course thatís his agenda, meanwhile here at my house in the Sierra foothills it is 45 degrees this morning. He he never mentioned one word about the 85% of dead trees that have been sitting there for years while the former governor and him are wasting billions on a train set that if ever finished will only go 1/8 of the distance approved by the voters.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:09 AM   #69
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
These fires, for the most part, are on USFS lands. They are managed by the federal govt. Both the creek fire and the el dorado (gender reveal) fire are in USFS property. The state has nothing to do with management of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
To the post about Paradise, the first problem was believing anything from ABC, NBC or CBS too.

It is somewhat sad reading the posts from those that actually live in California and know a heck of alot more than someone like me of what is exactly going on in there home state. I don't recall seeing any of the posts talk about any kind of proactive actions taken by the state to try to lessen the magnitude of these massive fires.

This moring I saw governor Newsom (on NBC!) touring some of the burned out areas and blame all the destruction from......as the result of course of climate change and global warming!
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:47 AM   #70
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
These fires, for the most part, are on USFS lands. They are managed by the federal govt. Both the creek fire and the el dorado (gender reveal) fire are in USFS property. The state has nothing to do with management of them.
Except that the same environmentalists that CA supports and the liberal party that supports them causes the forests to be controlled by them. You have to look at the whole picture. If the feds tried to do anything with those trees CA would just sue them like have been doing. I have never heard that we have state environmentalists and federal ones too.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:59 AM   #71
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Far Northern, CA
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
These fires, for the most part, are on USFS lands. They are managed by the federal govt. Both the creek fire and the el dorado (gender reveal) fire are in USFS property. The state has nothing to do with management of them.
Incorrect. Both of these fires are under Unified Command between the USFS and the State (Cal Fire). The El Dorado fire is also under Unified Command with the Yucaipa Fire Department where the fire originated. The state has a big part in the management of these fires.
__________________
Scott V.
Far Northern, CA
Salem T25SL
GMC Sierra 2500
Scott V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:48 PM   #72
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 13,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott V. View Post
Incorrect. Both of these fires are under Unified Command between the USFS and the State (Cal Fire). The El Dorado fire is also under Unified Command with the Yucaipa Fire Department where the fire originated. The state has a big part in the management of these fires.
I think he was referring to the management of the forest lands, not the management of the fires on them.

Actual land management is always affected by the leanings of the local population. (carefully dancing around the obvious forbidden topic )
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:53 PM   #73
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Far Northern, CA
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I think he was referring to the management of the forest lands, not the management of the fires on them.

Actual land management is always affected by the leanings of the local population. (carefully dancing around the obvious forbidden topic )
Ah, I reread it and see where I may have misinterpreted it. Thanks for the clarification.
__________________
Scott V.
Far Northern, CA
Salem T25SL
GMC Sierra 2500
Scott V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:58 PM   #74
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
The forest themselves are managed by the USFS. I never said anything about who is fighting the fires. My two vacation homes are both in USFS forests. One of them in the el dorado forest which is effected by the el dorado fire.

EDIT...I see you backtracked on your post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott V. View Post
Incorrect. Both of these fires are under Unified Command between the USFS and the State (Cal Fire). The El Dorado fire is also under Unified Command with the Yucaipa Fire Department where the fire originated. The state has a big part in the management of these fires.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:14 PM   #75
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Far Northern, CA
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
The forest themselves are managed by the USFS. I never said anything about who is fighting the fires. My two vacation homes are both in USFS forests. One of them in the el dorado forest which is effected by the el dorado fire.

EDIT...I see you backtracked on your post.
Yes, I misread your post thinking you were talking about management of the fires, not management of the land base. My apologies, I can only blame it on the itchy, watery eyes from all this smoke
__________________
Scott V.
Far Northern, CA
Salem T25SL
GMC Sierra 2500
Scott V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:37 PM   #76
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
And the el dorado fire is in the San Bernardino forest( my mistake). My house in Tahoe is in the el dorado forest...to make things confusing

I have multiple friends that work or retired from Cal fire and two friends who are retired USFS rangers. Get to hear all about who does what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott V. View Post
Yes, I misread your post thinking you were talking about management of the fires, not management of the land base. My apologies, I can only blame it on the itchy, watery eyes from all this smoke
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:16 PM   #77
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 13,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
And the el dorado fire is in the San Bernardino forest( my mistake). My house in Tahoe is in the el dorado forest...to make things confusing

I have multiple friends that work or retired from Cal fire and two friends who are retired USFS rangers. Get to hear all about who does what.
Apparently those who fight the fires are not getting the message across to those that manage the forests. Or perhaps both their hands are tied by outside forces.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:23 PM   #78
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Actually, the el dorado and san bernardino forests are pretty well managed. Most of the dead trees are gone and they thinned them so they don't have the canopy to canopy spread like they used to. I laugh at the people who blame the governor who has absolutely nothing to do with it.

The main problem is money. Only so much money gets alloted from the Feds for management in every district.

What sucks is when they want to do prescribed burns and the nearby residents shut them down. More often than not, the same people's homes burn down. Near my house in Lake Tahoe, there was a grove of small trees where the USFS took out half the trees. Locals cried bloody murder. Of course it was the right thing to do since a healthy forest would have had natural fires that would have done the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Apparently those who fight the fires are not getting the message across to those that manage the forests. Or perhaps both their hands are tied by outside forces.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:43 PM   #79
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Sorry but that is so wrong I don't know where to start. State has absolutely nothing to do with the management of the FEDERAL USFS forests.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
Except that the same environmentalists that CA supports and the liberal party that supports them causes the forests to be controlled by them. You have to look at the whole picture. If the feds tried to do anything with those trees CA would just sue them like have been doing. I have never heard that we have state environmentalists and federal ones too.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:57 PM   #80
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 961
Why are correctional officers salaries and pensions considered unwise?
__________________
TV - 2020 RAM 3500 Mega Cab SRW with 6.7 Cummins HO & Aisin 6 spd, 4k payload, 23k towing
2002 GMC Yukon XL 2500, 8.1 liter (496ci), 4L85e & positraction with 3.73 gears
TT - 2013 Dutchmen Aspen Trail 3130 QBS
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diegoís craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
camper, california

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 AM.