Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2020, 10:02 PM   #61

Chinook Pilots - Definition of Courage

I read that one Chinook pilot who took part in the rescue said he had flown in combat, and getting in and out of the lake rescue area was the most frightening thing he had ever done, because the smoke obscured the hills so significantly.
I uneasy circling in the fog over a major airport. I can't imagine having to fly through blinding smoke in narrow corridors between the hills.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:08 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott V. View Post
And living anywhere in the Sierra Foothills these days is taking a chance on a destructive wildfire coming through. Moc fire is a good example and a great catch by CalFire to stop it where they did.
Do you think with 1.8m invested I should just walk away?
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:55 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
Do you think with 1.8m invested I should just walk away?
From your previous post, I think you've done everything you can to protect your property and keep yourself safe.
Anyone who thinks that they can camp or live in a forested area and not be threatened by a forest fire hasn't looked carefully at their forest and seen all the trees that have been killed by an invasive species or drought.
Those campers did nothing wrong. The campground would have been closed down if anyone had predicted the fire a threat.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:39 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheTent View Post
I read that one Chinook pilot who took part in the rescue said he had flown in combat, and getting in and out of the lake rescue area was the most frightening thing he had ever done, because the smoke obscured the hills so significantly.
I uneasy circling in the fog over a major airport. I can't imagine having to fly through blinding smoke in narrow corridors between the hills.
As I said, the hardest part of the lake rescue would be to/from the lake. If the lake was big enough, and I had a CG helicopter with radar and radar altimeter and power to hover out of ground effect ( lot of ifs the Chinook may not have had), I might try the CG radar instrument descent from above the smoke rather than a nap of the earth entrance and exit. We used to do that occasionally with a boat/ship in the fog at sea. And we were not as skilled at nap of the earth navigation as Army pilots; they weren't so hot at open ocean navigation.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:38 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
From your previous post, I think you've done everything you can to protect your property and keep yourself safe.
Anyone who thinks that they can camp or live in a forested area and not be threatened by a forest fire hasn't looked carefully at their forest and seen all the trees that have been killed by an invasive species or drought.
Those campers did nothing wrong. The campground would have been closed down if anyone had predicted the fire a threat.
I am not implying that they did anything wrong, it’s that one cannot depend on the government to do everything for them. In this case those forest areas that have that high of a percentage of dead trees should have been shut down a long time ago. Then take care of the problem. Those trees were dead many years ago.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:50 AM   #66

To the post about Paradise, the first problem was believing anything from ABC, NBC or CBS too.

It is somewhat sad reading the posts from those that actually live in California and know a heck of alot more than someone like me of what is exactly going on in there home state. I don't recall seeing any of the posts talk about any kind of proactive actions taken by the state to try to lessen the magnitude of these massive fires.

This moring I saw governor Newsom (on NBC!) touring some of the burned out areas and blame all the destruction from......as the result of course of climate change and global warming!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:12 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
To the post about Paradise, the first problem was believing anything from ABC, NBC or CBS too.

It is somewhat sad reading the posts from those that actually live in California and know a heck of alot more than someone like me of what is exactly going on in there home state. I don't recall seeing any of the posts talk about any kind of proactive actions taken by the state to try to lessen the magnitude of these massive fires.

This moring I saw governor Newsom (on NBC!) touring some of the burned out areas and blame all the destruction from......as the result of course of climate change and global warming!
Of course that’s his agenda, meanwhile here at my house in the Sierra foothills it is 45 degrees this morning. He he never mentioned one word about the 85% of dead trees that have been sitting there for years while the former governor and him are wasting billions on a train set that if ever finished will only go 1/8 of the distance approved by the voters.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:18 AM   #68

The dead trees are in the USFS property are they not?
Quote:
Of course that’s his agenda, meanwhile here at my house in the Sierra foothills it is 45 degrees this morning. He he never mentioned one word about the 85% of dead trees that have been sitting there for years while the former governor and him are wasting billions on a train set that if ever finished will only go 1/8 of the distance approved by the voters.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:09 AM   #69

These fires, for the most part, are on USFS lands. They are managed by the federal govt. Both the creek fire and the el dorado (gender reveal) fire are in USFS property. The state has nothing to do with management of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post

Old 09-12-2020, 11:47 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
These fires, for the most part, are on USFS lands. They are managed by the federal govt. Both the creek fire and the el dorado (gender reveal) fire are in USFS property. The state has nothing to do with management of them.
Except that the same environmentalists that CA supports and the liberal party that supports them causes the forests to be controlled by them. You have to look at the whole picture. If the feds tried to do anything with those trees CA would just sue them like have been doing. I have never heard that we have state environmentalists and federal ones too.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:59 AM   #71

Quote:
Incorrect. Both of these fires are under Unified Command between the USFS and the State (Cal Fire). The El Dorado fire is also under Unified Command with the Yucaipa Fire Department where the fire originated. The state has a big part in the management of these fires.
GMC Sierra 2500
Scott V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:48 PM   #72

Quote:
Incorrect. Both of these fires are under Unified Command between the USFS and the State (Cal Fire). The El Dorado fire is also under Unified Command with the Yucaipa Fire Department where the fire originated. The state has a big part in the management of these fires.
I think he was referring to the management of the forest lands, not the management of the fires on them.

Actual land management is always affected by the leanings of the local population. (carefully dancing around the obvious forbidden topic )

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:53 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I think he was referring to the management of the forest lands, not the management of the fires on them.

Actual land management is always affected by the leanings of the local population. (carefully dancing around the obvious forbidden topic )
Ah, I reread it and see where I may have misinterpreted it. Thanks for the clarification.
GMC Sierra 2500
Old 09-12-2020, 02:58 PM   #74

The forest themselves are managed by the USFS. I never said anything about who is fighting the fires. My two vacation homes are both in USFS forests. One of them in the el dorado forest which is effected by the el dorado fire.

EDIT...I see you backtracked on your post.
Quote:
Old 09-12-2020, 03:14 PM   #75

Quote:
The forest themselves are managed by the USFS. I never said anything about who is fighting the fires. My two vacation homes are both in USFS forests. One of them in the el dorado forest which is effected by the el dorado fire.

EDIT...I see you backtracked on your post.
Yes, I misread your post thinking you were talking about management of the fires, not management of the land base. My apologies, I can only blame it on the itchy, watery eyes from all this smoke
GMC Sierra 2500
Old 09-12-2020, 03:37 PM   #76

And the el dorado fire is in the San Bernardino forest( my mistake). My house in Tahoe is in the el dorado forest...to make things confusing

I have multiple friends that work or retired from Cal fire and two friends who are retired USFS rangers. Get to hear all about who does what.

Quote:
Yes, I misread your post thinking you were talking about management of the fires, not management of the land base. My apologies, I can only blame it on the itchy, watery eyes from all this smoke
Old 09-12-2020, 04:16 PM   #77

Quote:
And the el dorado fire is in the San Bernardino forest( my mistake). My house in Tahoe is in the el dorado forest...to make things confusing

I have multiple friends that work or retired from Cal fire and two friends who are retired USFS rangers. Get to hear all about who does what.
Apparently those who fight the fires are not getting the message across to those that manage the forests. Or perhaps both their hands are tied by outside forces.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:23 PM   #78

Actually, the el dorado and san bernardino forests are pretty well managed. Most of the dead trees are gone and they thinned them so they don't have the canopy to canopy spread like they used to. I laugh at the people who blame the governor who has absolutely nothing to do with it.

The main problem is money. Only so much money gets alloted from the Feds for management in every district.

What sucks is when they want to do prescribed burns and the nearby residents shut them down. More often than not, the same people's homes burn down. Near my house in Lake Tahoe, there was a grove of small trees where the USFS took out half the trees. Locals cried bloody murder. Of course it was the right thing to do since a healthy forest would have had natural fires that would have done the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Apparently those who fight the fires are not getting the message across to those that manage the forests. Or perhaps both their hands are tied by outside forces.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:43 PM   #79

Sorry but that is so wrong I don't know where to start. State has absolutely nothing to do with the management of the FEDERAL USFS forests.
Quote:
Except that the same environmentalists that CA supports and the liberal party that supports them causes the forests to be controlled by them. You have to look at the whole picture. If the feds tried to do anything with those trees CA would just sue them like have been doing. I have never heard that we have state environmentalists and federal ones too.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:57 PM   #80

Why are correctional officers salaries and pensions considered unwise?
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, california