Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #1

18 wheelers

I don't like the "sucking" feeling when a big rig passes me while I'm towing. I've tried a couple different things but they didn't seem to help. Then a couple weeks ago I was lurking on the "Dark Side" when I read a post about a guy who had been told by a trucker to crack a window on each side of the trailer to equalize pressure. Now, physics wasn't one of my best subjects so I didn't know whether or not this was BS. But I tried it anyway this past weekend and it really works. I felt no more "pull" from the big rigs than I felt from a Suburban. Honest!!
Reese Strait-Line
Prodigy
DW
DD (Darling Dachshund)
jmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:34 PM   #2

We usually run with the windows open slightly on both sides to keep the interior from getting too hot in the summer. Maybe that is why I never really notice the 18 wheelers when they pass me. Good info.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmyers View Post
I don't like the "sucking" feeling when a big rig passes me while I'm towing. I've tried a couple different things but they didn't seem to help. Then a couple weeks ago I was lurking on the "Dark Side" when I read a post about a guy who had been told by a trucker to crack a window on each side of the trailer to equalize pressure. Now, physics wasn't one of my best subjects so I didn't know whether or not this was BS. But I tried it anyway this past weekend and it really works. I felt no more "pull" from the big rigs than I felt from a Suburban. Honest!!
You know that makes sense, thanks!!!
Old 05-07-2008, 11:15 AM   #4

I have to try that...
Prodigy Brake Control
Reese 800lb Weight Dist Bars
Dual Cam Sway Control
2008 Rockwood 2701ss
Mansfield, MA
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:13 PM   #5

I saw that same post as you and to me it does seem very logical and I myself will be trying it as well.

2005 Surveyor SV234
2004 F-150 Supercrew Lariat / 5.4L / 3.73 Gears
Reese Friction Sway
Voyager Brake Controller
WD Setup
TWhaylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #6

I don't do the window thing. I feel there is too much risk in a window catching the wind and blowing off. Yeah I'm paranoid....... I open the ceiling vents on my rig while I'm towing since I've got the max air covers I don't have to worry about rain. Don't know if that helps any with the big rig thing but I'm scared of cracking a window.

Just me though.....
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:48 AM   #7

And it seems like the inside of your camper might dirty from all that is stirred up from the road and dump trucks hulling stone dust and dirt as they pass you at 80 miles an hour.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:00 AM   #8
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I'm curious about this one. It would appear that the objective would be to equalize the pressure on both sides of the trailer. (Kind of like opening all the windows on a house if you see a tornado coming.) But, it seems to me that "cracking" a window on each side would provide little pressure equalization. Would you please be a bit more specific about just how much you opened your windows? In any event, I'll give it a try.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
And it seems like the inside of your camper might dirty from all that is stirred up from the road and dump trucks hulling stone dust and dirt as they pass you at 80 miles an hour.
thats what i was thinking as well
around here the oil field truclks drp an awful lot of red dirt on the roads and it sticks to everything.

i usually , if a rig is passing me,(slowly) I will momentarily back off the throttle just enough to help em slign shot past to minimize any suckasaurus feelings.
but usuallu its us moving them over and waving bye bye
Old 05-10-2008, 07:03 AM   #10

Here's my theory on this. Any rocket scientists out there are welcome to correct me.
I submit there is a low pressure area between the big rig and the TT (5er, whatever) and the open windows allow the air from the far side to enter and equalize the pressure, which would be bringing air in from the shoulder side of the road (assuming the trailer is in the right hand lane).
Now, with the vortex created by the vernal equinox and the correct alignment of the planets within parameters, the air on the starboard side should be cleaner than that on the port side. And with properly mounted screens on all open windows, any insects and small furry animals should be denied access into the trailer via said windows.
In summary, on an average 2,3,4 (or more) lane highway or interstate, there should be no noticible increase in dirt and filth entering the home on wheels.
If this theory is plausible, please notify my 12th grade physics teacher.
Reese Strait-Line
Prodigy
DW
DD (Darling Dachshund)
jmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmyers View Post
Here's my theory on this. Any rocket scientists out there are welcome to correct me.
I submit there is a low pressure area between the big rig and the TT (5er, whatever) and the open windows allow the air from the far side to enter and equalize the pressure, which would be bringing air in from the shoulder side of the road (assuming the trailer is in the right hand lane).
Now, with the vortex created by the vernal equinox and the correct alignment of the planets within parameters, the air on the starboard side should be cleaner than that on the port side. And with properly mounted screens on all open windows, any insects and small furry animals should be denied access into the trailer via said windows.
In summary, on an average 2,3,4 (or more) lane highway or interstate, there should be no noticible increase in dirt and filth entering the home on wheels.
If this theory is plausible, please notify my 12th grade physics teacher.
I will make a copy of your theory and present it to the Education Dept at the Smithsonians National Air And Space Museum to see what they come up with.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #12
Biker trash

I drive a 18 wheeler and we "18 wheelers" blow each other all over the road.
I never gave it any thought while towing my camper. When I'm in my truck I hate campers and when I'm in my camper I hate the truck's. Sorry. I know thats no help. Just my two cents.
Garage full of RC planes
Bella female Boston, Nick male Great Dane Boxer mix.
two girls all grown up.
Wife of 26 years, without her all of the above would be just a dream.
fxstsharleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxstsharleyrider View Post
I drive a 18 wheeler and we "18 wheelers" blow each other all over the road.
I never gave it any thought while towing my camper. When I'm in my truck I hate campers and when I'm in my camper I hate the truck's. Sorry. I know thats no help. Just my two cents.
Is this standard of 18 wheeler truck driver, you don't like campers? I would think that the bigger issue would be with small cars jumping in front of you and then stopping or some other kind of unsafe act!
Old 05-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #14

I dont like when they wont let me merge in off the ramp, I guess they think I am only going 55 so better get ahead of me!!!