Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 07:09 PM   #41
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW713 View Post
Trailer is 29, OP wants 35. They gave them 30.
But they don't know that.

I don't understand how the site was booked before knowing the exact size though. But If they can't give you what you are asking for, I'd ask for a refund too.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:21 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
But they don't know that.

I don't understand how the site was booked before knowing the exact size though. But If they can't give you what you ate asking for, I'd ask for a refund too.
I don't know what they know but generally you have to put your trailer length in. Asking for a refund is not the same as implying they been ripped off.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:43 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbike View Post
You can’t go by reviews. We tried that for a repair shop in Bishop, CA. We’ll be suffering for years to come because they apparently have their employees post positive reviews
I would only stay at a KOA as a last resort. I have had nothing but difficulties with them, especially when attempting to cancel a reservation.
Royboy
Old 04-25-2022, 07:50 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
I would have hung up the phone at their first question regarding none of their business stuff.
I agree 100%...IMHO a CG has no business asking for that type of info. First anyone can give them a number second if they're that inquisitive before even approving you imagine what they're like once you get there. To top it off they turn you down after giving them that info is ludicrous...never ran across that in all my years and if I did I'd hang up too
Old 04-25-2022, 08:53 PM   #45

If you are still planning a trip to the Black Hills, I recommend Buffalo Ridge RV Resort in Custer, SD. The section we were in was fairly close to the store/swimming pool with lots of room between the pull-thru sites. https://custerhospitality.com/buffal...e-camp-resort/ You can make a reservation online, or call. We had no problem with the online system. My daughter who got a site next to us called the park directly. They have two laundromats and individual bathrooms with a toilet/shower in each one.
2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
2021 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Old 04-25-2022, 09:03 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post
After 4 years camping in-state at state parks and county parks, we were finally looking to camp out of state at a regular campground. I found a KOA in the black hills, went through the reservation process indicating a 35' TT (it's actually 29', but I don't want to mess with a small site), and booked a site for June. Within 2 days I rec'd an email from the campground advising me that the site 'was about 30', but that I could park the truck in the parking lot'. To me, "about 30 feet" means anything from 28' to 32', so I emailed back and said that won't work and please cancel my reservation. They cancelled the reservation and refunded my first night deposit except for a $10 cancellation fee. I emailed the campground and asked how they can charge a cancellation fee when I indicated I had a 35' TT and the reservation system booked me into a 30' spot? They replied back that the site lengths are on the website. I went back through the reservation process and there are NO site lengths listed anywhere, although 35' TT shows up while booking a reservation. I then went to that specific KOA campground website and poked around and still can't find site lengths anywhere.
Is this normal? How do you guys make reservations at private campgrounds that don't show you a pic of the site you are reserving and tell you how long the site is?
thanks,
Mitch
I’ve been RVing for 20 years. The last 10 for 6 months a year. I never ask for a site larger than what I need. There has only once that I could not park my TV across the front on the site (my 5er is 38’ ). And that was b/c I could not put the rear of the trailer past the edge of the asphalt. You usually have a better chance getting a site asking for the shortest site your rig can fit in.

Now, $10 is hardly worth fighting about. I know it’s the principle, but I wouldn’t waste 1-2 hrs of my time trying to get someone to refund me $10. But, good luck.
Old 04-26-2022, 06:08 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post
After 4 years camping in-state at state parks and county parks, we were finally looking to camp out of state at a regular campground. I found a KOA in the black hills, went through the reservation process indicating a 35' TT (it's actually 29', but I don't want to mess with a small site), and booked a site for June. Within 2 days I rec'd an email from the campground advising me that the site 'was about 30', but that I could park the truck in the parking lot'. To me, "about 30 feet" means anything from 28' to 32', so I emailed back and said that won't work and please cancel my reservation. They cancelled the reservation and refunded my first night deposit except for a $10 cancellation fee. I emailed the campground and asked how they can charge a cancellation fee when I indicated I had a 35' TT and the reservation system booked me into a 30' spot? They replied back that the site lengths are on the website. I went back through the reservation process and there are NO site lengths listed anywhere, although 35' TT shows up while booking a reservation. I then went to that specific KOA campground website and poked around and still can't find site lengths anywhere.
Is this normal? How do you guys make reservations at private campgrounds that don't show you a pic of the site you are reserving and tell you how long the site is?
thanks,
Mitch
Ahhh, the KOA. One, if this is really stressing you out, don't let it. Suck up the 10 bucks never interact with them again and move on is my recommendation and give them a bad review on all the sites you can access, not under your name. Now days, you often have to make reservations so far out that you cannot be 100% assured your schedule will even jibe with what you want to do. We have had to cancel a couple in the last year because of this when the wife's work schedule changed. Uncertainties are the norm now days but if someone is screwing you well that's different too.

We have been going to the Black Hills for 20 years and even bought land there for retirement (bought for 30, now worth 100K as of a couple months ago). We have stayed at various places and are hitting Bluebell this year as we couldn't get into our usual. If you want full services, try Big Pines https://www.bigpinecampground.com/ or Fort Welikit https://www.goodsam.com/campgrounds-...und-960000329/

We have had good luck with Big Pines for over 15 years even under different owners. Both have trees also instead being parking lots...our main requirement.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:08 AM   #48

We stay in private parks often on long haul trips. KOA is a franchise type park . You will find them in all sorts of conditions from barely minimal to luxurious . I think that all the property owners have to do is pay their franchise fee and they become KOA.
We have found their on line registration to be very lacking and it is best to contact the actual locations office, not the national reservation office.

We travel to Black Hills often. Grand children live in Spearfish so we usually book in Spearfish city park, which is a beautiful tree covered area. If they are full we have stayed in Chris RV Park, also a nice park with adult only pool and family pool.Contacting the actual location office is probably a good idea for all reservation verification's.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:46 AM   #49

I know you feel like they are wrong, but it looks like they didn’t deny you use of the spot. They just notified you that it they don’t think it will accommodate you based on your length entry and you will have to park your tow vehicle separately. You didn’t like that idea, as many of us don’t and then decided to cancel. Which to me means you would owe the cancellation fee. My suggestion is to call them and speak w them cause many campground owners are very reasonable and would understand the situation perfectly once they hear it from you instead of online or thru emails. Maybe it’s not too late…. I would also mention that the private campground spots are not usually as spacious as state parks and for that reason can be more strict about length restrictions. I hope it all works out for you and you can find an amicable resolution for this situation. Happy Camping!!
Old 04-26-2022, 10:08 AM   #50

I wasn't really aware of the different levels of KOA's. So after reading this and as I mentioned going cross-country my DW and I will keep in mind KOA Journeys as a possible stop-over CG.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
Old 04-26-2022, 10:22 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisParise View Post
Not a boondocker, did plenty of wilderness canoe camping in the Boundary Waters in the 70s and 80s, not roughing it anymore.
This made me think about when I used to camp under canvas, etc. Now we enjoy having a cozy trailer with utilities. It makes traveling much easier and much more comfortable when we are on the road for weeks at a time.

In other words, I’m not camping in my 60’s and 70’s like I did in the 60’s and 70’s.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:34 AM   #52

never going to change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
a few years ago we made reservations at a KOA in Pa on our way home from Fl to Nova Scotia. We decided to stay one week longer since the weather on the US east coast was not going to be good. Called KOA they make the change to the following week.. When we arrived there was a cancellation fee included on our bill. I questioned the gal and after a while she admitted she cancelled it instead of moving it to a later date--- then remade the reservation for the proper date.....She said I would have to go to the head office for my rebate -she could not give me the refund....she made the mistake...Never did get my $$$$ We normally do not stay at KOA's but this one is open 12 months and on our way home..Did not go to Fl for the last two years due to Covid!!!!
Iv`e experienced these type of mistakes before. As a general rule the problems seem to begin when it`s one with the little hair ball on top of their heads that try and make the decisions as to the next course of action. Best just walk away and forget it.
Resse Goose box hitch, Mor/Ryde SRE 4000, X Factors, shocks... real smooth ride
Old 04-26-2022, 10:58 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
There are a lot of KOAs in the black hills , which one?

Something seams off with this story, did you pick a campsite or did the campground pick the site?
Last time I tried booking a site at KOA I had to pick a site from a list that worked for my size RV and the dates I selected .
Each site had a description and size.

I agree if there is a cancellation fee noted in the policy it doesn’t matter what you decided , you canceled and you owe them the fee listed in there policy.

Consider yourself lucky, many campgrounds are changing there cancellation policies and keeping the entire deposit if you cancel.
agreed
Old 04-26-2022, 11:02 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW713 View Post
You made a reservation. They gave you a site bigger than your trailer. You want more space so you cancelled.
What do you think a cancellation fee is for?

And for the record, on what planet is a $10 cancel fee a "disaster". Get some perspective please. You cancelled and they have a cancellation fee. Just because you don't want to pay it doesn't mean you have been wronged.
agreed
Old 04-26-2022, 11:04 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
OP indicated that he had a 35' trailer and they gave him a site 5' too short. So the reason for the cancellation was their fault.

That's like booking a hotel room with 2 queen beds and they say sorry, we only have ones with a single bed.
But he doesn't have a 35 ft trailer and if you are hoteling it alone would you ask for 2 queen beds? I'm amazed at how bent out of shape some people get over $10 and the exact length of a site.
Old 04-26-2022, 03:18 PM   #56

Gave him a reservation for something he didn't ask for

He reserved a 35' site. KOA reserved "about a 30 foot" site for him instead. Should have been a full refund with no cancellation fee.
GMC Sierra 2500
Old 04-26-2022, 05:46 PM   #57

Why is everyone beating this dead horse to death? Lol.. the OP, who only made one comment, hasn’t been back in a week… cracks me up…
Old 04-26-2022, 08:34 PM   #58

Ok, so naming names; Auburn RVPark in CA was the park that wanted my Fico score for a one night stay. I ended up staying at Auburn Gold Country RV Park instead. I arrived at 5 pm and the office was already closed. They had given me the site that was literally 5 feet from the dump station!! I didn’t want to open my vents. NO rv sites should ever be that close to the dump station.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:41 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
Ok, so naming names; <snip> I ended up staying at Auburn Gold Country RV Park instead. I arrived at 5 pm and the office was already closed. They had given me the site that was literally 5 feet from the dump station!! I didn’t want to open my vents. NO rv sites should ever be that close to the dump station.
Oh my gosh, you aren't kidding!

There should be a special Hall of Shame for a setup like this!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Auburn Gold Counrty RV Park.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	272204
Old 04-27-2022, 07:20 AM   #60
Site Team

As mentioned previously- the OP has not been back for a while and this discussion is way past the "use by date" so we're gonna close it.
Happy Trails!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
Closed Thread

Tags
campground, mpg