RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 03-22-2019, 07:51 PM   #21

Custer state park in Wyoming badlands, buffalo herds, etc. Can be on the way from Mt. Rushmore to Salt Lake City.
Boomerweps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:36 PM   #22

As long as you are going through South Dakota, you must see the Crazy Horse memorial sculpted by Korczak Ziolkowski. He spent a lifetime sculpting it, and his children finished it. It's just a few miles from Mt. Rushmore.

Two other good spots are Wall Drug (Wall, SD), and the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD. The original Corn Palace was built when the Dakota Territory was opened up for settlement in the late 1800s. To attract settlers, the Corn Palace was built and picture postcards of it were sent to individuals in other states with the notion that "Corn grows so well here that we even use it for buildings." Over the years it has moved twice to bigger buildings. The current building, an elaborate Moorish castle, was built in 1921/1937. It is used for various events including basketball and ballroom dances. You may have heard of a bandleader who got his start there, Lawrence Welk. A-vun, and a-two, and a-three is South Dakota accent. Even if no event is active, you can see the building's most stunning feature. It is entirely covered in murals made of corn-on-cobs of various colors, including some of the old "Indian corn" red breeds. See the Wikipedia article.

Of course you will want to see the Badlands and the Black Hills. You will probably take I-94 for much of your route but you may want to travel on US-14 or US-16 to really see the character of the land.

Almost forgot to mention Rapid City. The city is split by a foothill of the Rockies which runs right through the center. There's nothing on the foothill but a park, accessible by roads going up either side. At the top is "Dinosaur Park," a WPA arts project from about 1935. You can see it from miles away and/or right up close.

Larry
(Midwestern boy transplanted to North Carolina)
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:59 PM   #23
rbq

Don't know if you are using a motorhome or towing an RV. If towing you will find that the mountains in the west are not NJ. I've seen so many people talking about that they have minimal towing capacity since they are in the flat lands & won't be going to high mountains.
That time of year can be hot across the country & as you venture into southern Utah temps will easily get 100+.
Traveling with kids--"ARE WE THERE YET?
Old 03-22-2019, 09:34 PM   #24

We did a 4 day trip to Custer SP one Sept. Totally worthwhile. The Stockade Lake and Sylvan Lake campgrounds are not as crowded, and are cooler during the summer (higher altitude). They are our favorites, and are closer to Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse monuments. We spent a whole morning at each, and came back that night to Mt Rushmore. If you are a vet, you are invited to be part of the evening flag ceremony. Crazy Horse could take a whole day or two depending on your interest. You also need to get up early one morning, and go to the South end of Custer SP on a wildlife tour. We saw deer, prong horn, buffalo, elk, and of course fed the "wild" burros who know to come up to your car for food. There is so much to do in the Black Hills, you could easily spend a week without repeating an activity.

The same is true of Southern Utah, as I mentioned earlier. I'm looking forward to going back to both areas "one of these" days. We still have lots of Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona we haven't been to yet. And that's not mentioning Colorado where we still have Rocky Mountain NP, and the Western part of the state to cover more thoroughly.

Anyway, enjoy your trip.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:37 PM   #25

I didn't see any one mention the temps in southern Utah in July. they can be a real scorcher that time of year. not unusual to have 100 plus degrees in Zion national park. aside from that Zion is a fantastic park to go see. good luck on your trip.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:48 PM   #26

Great thread! My wife and I are full timing and are planning to do a very similar trip, but we are taking our time. We are expecting a week in each area we stop at, planning to be in utah by October. On the way, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas (for winter). Back to North Carolina by Spring. We are using thousand trails, RPI, coast to coast and expecting to do some boon docking along the way. Thanks for posting this thread. Im soaking up ideas!

James
2012 Ram 2500HD 6.7L Cummins
Equal-i-zer 4 Point Hitch
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:50 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlkrantz View Post
I didn't see any one mention the temps in southern Utah in July. they can be a real scorcher that time of year. not unusual to have 100 plus degrees in Zion national park. aside from that Zion is a fantastic park to go see. good luck on your trip.
Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon, because of their altitude are quite reasonable during the summer. Canyonlands temps depend on where you are. Hiking at Arches is an early morning activity because of the desert heat. Our trip to the Utah 5 got cut short for medical emergency back home, so we never made it to Zion. For temperature reasons (and because it's prettier and less crowded), we always go to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon instead of the South Rim.

In Colorado, above 7Kft doesn't need air conditioning during the day - and you will often see 50s at night during the summer. It's about 3.5 degrees F cooler per 1,000 ft of altitude.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Old 03-22-2019, 09:56 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormer View Post
Great thread! My wife and I are full timing and are planning to do a very similar trip, but we are taking our time. We are expecting a week in each area we stop at, planning to be in utah by October. On the way, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas (for winter). Back to North Carolina by Spring. We are using thousand trails, RPI, coast to coast and expecting to do some boon docking along the way. Thanks for posting this thread. Im soaking up ideas!
In Texas, our favorite camping spot is Palo Duro Canyon SP very near Amarillo. You camp in the canyon, so it's considerably warmer than Amarillo.

Our 2nd favorite place in Texas is the COE campgrounds at Lake Waco, just outside Waco, TX.

Fred W
Old 03-22-2019, 10:18 PM   #29

So many good suggestions. A couple thoughts, depending on your final travel route plan; between the south rim of the Grand Canyon and Flagstaff along Hwy. 89 is Wupatki National Monument. Take the loop around thru the monument and Sunset Crater to the USFS Bonito camp ground. The structures in the monument built by the 'ancient ones' are pretty remarkable. (And you can take the as much or little time you want on the paved road.) The camp ground is nice and clean, no electricity tho.

South of Four Corners in AZ is the Teec Nos Pas trading post on Hwy. 160. It is the real deal. BS with the staff, get permission to go into the blanket, rug room with one of them and look over the weaving work. Take time to look at the stone and silver hand made items as well. Takes a bit of time but a growth experience for the whole family - if it fits in your plan. Otherwise put it on your bucket list for the next trip. One trip is simply not enough out there.

At Mt. Rushmore, make sure you take in the evening program while you are there.

You are all in for a real treat on a trip like this. Stay positive and enjoy!
Dirt Sifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:38 PM   #30
Senior

I lived in New Jersey until retirement and now live in the Rocky Mountians of Colorado. I now spend spring through fall traveling with my wife living my dream of skiing in Winter and visiting National Parks after the ski area closes. It takes us 4 days to go from NJ to CO although our daughter can do it in half of that. Don't know how long you would take with your family but be sure to enjoy the trip and not bite off more than your kids can endure.
Mount Rushmore is as iconic as it gets. The best time to go is for the evening show. While you are in the area take a day to explore Custer State Park. The kids will love seing the buffalo and donkeys that roam the area and the RV Park in the park is great if you can get a reservation. Also Badlands NP is worth a day while you're in the area.

After Salt lake my 1st choice would be Bryce. It's a little higher therefore cooler. Many of the Utah campgrounds consider it off season and offer discounts at this time of year. If you don't have a giant rig you can drive through Zion entering from the East and go through the tunnel. The drive is incredable! A stop in Page is good as well. We stayed at Lone Rock a free campground that you can camp off the grid at the waters edge on !ake Powell.
4 Corners is ho hum IMHO but makes a nice stop if your passing by. If your kids are interested in Indians though a day or 2 at Mesa Verde NP might be good to see the cliff dwellings.

I would recomend maping out your route first and reserving some campgrounds on weekends or at popular places. I have had success without reservations but sometimes it meant being an hours drive from the place i was visiting. Just take the time to make the trip enjoyable for everyone and not a mad dash to see it all today because we've got to get to ???..... tomorrow maybe even if that means visiting Memphis next year.

Happy Trails and safe driving
Bob Fraser
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:59 AM   #31

While on I90 in SD,. Check out the Minute Man Missle National historic site for a great tour of the underground launch control Bunker. It is between the Corn palace and Wall Drug which you should also do (once).
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:55 AM   #32

Crazy Horse is NOT finished. It's only got his face done and a tunnel under where his arm on the horse is planned. They charge a lot (IMHO) to pull in to see what has been done and have a laser light show at night. They are trying to raise more money to continue the work.
Mt. Rushmore itself is free but parking is not. However the parking pass is good for a year! So you can visit it more than once while you are in the area.
The highlight of our last trip driving to see cousins in St. George UT was Custer State Park. That trip included Mt Rushmore and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon (2nd time there).
That trip was during the summer to allow our grandson to go while school was out. I got severely dehydrated, caught a bug on the trip and had stuff coming out both ends constantly for a week while in UT. Lost 20#, I call it the Utah diet ;(
Boomerweps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:59 PM   #33

Not sure if you’re aware, but want to make sure you are. Through the Every Kid in the Park program your fourth grader can get you in free to all of the national parks.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:16 PM   #34
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEliasz View Post
So after doing couple trips if just a week here and there were planning a month long trip across the US. So me the wife and three kids, 9,8 and 4 are heading west. Plan is to leave NJ July 11th. Head straight to mount Rushmore. Then south through Wyoming, Colorado, check out trans continental railroad meeting location in north Utah. Stop and see friends in Salt Lake City, west to Bonneville salt flats. South to Zion, Bryce area. South again to 4 corners. Then probably east through to Memphis, Nashville, stop and see friends and family in Raliegh NC. Then north back home to NJ.
So, does anyone have some advise? Anything in particular to pack, check out, avoid, do, see, go ? We've never boondocked before but not opposed to it. And we've never been out more than 10 days. I took off work and well be out roaming for almost 5 weeks.
You know, I think you are biting off waaayy too much. If you are inexperienced camper, and are not sure what to take, and don't have campsites and daily travel expectations, you might want to rethink this.

I love camping, but for your travels, you may want to leave the camper at home and perhaps do some tenting along the way with campgrounds where your young kids have a pool, etc, Other than that, set up some base camp motels along the way you can roll from each day and back. Kids that ages will remember the afternoons in the pool as much as the sights. JMHO
60+ campgrounds/400+ nights, 20K+ Miles towing since 2015
Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:36 PM   #35

Quote:
Do I really need to make reservations so far out in advance ?
Reservations in advance are always a good idea during the summer months. You can always try to find places along the way, but you're taking a big risk of not finding anything... especially on the weekends. Let me tell you about our two hour drive to find a place in the northeast, or our friends four hour drive when they ran into an 'event' in the west in the summer. (They ended up parking in front of a relatives house with no hookups.)

Most places will let your cancel or move your reservations if you do it in advance (check their cancellation policy.)

You really don't want to be stuck with a car full of family without a place to spend the night.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:17 PM   #36

Get a trip planner and plan your route.

We went from Ohio to the St. Louis and Branson area. Up to Colorado Springs the DW conned and finagled us into the state park 5 days. Then to the badlands/mt Rushmore area for a week. Back thru Chicago then to Dayton. 5 weeks.

300 miles in a day is easy. 500 is not. Set ups in the dark are no fun. Offices close by 6.

Life in the slow lane. Fuel stops take a lot of time. You will make one or more a day.

National and state parks you will find full likely now. State parks usually have no sewer hookups. But much more private spaces.

My wife is a champion at finding mom and pop campgrounds. Double the cost and not as nice. Fancy places like Yogi Bear are even more expensive. $25, $55, $75.

If I were you I would think about not going beyond Colorado. Southern Utah is too, too much. More stops for several nights.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:25 PM   #37

I don’t think Crazy Horse monument will be finished in my great granddaughter lifetime.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:49 AM   #38

Quote:
So after doing couple trips if just a week here and there were planning a month long trip across the US. So me the wife and three kids, 9,8 and 4 are heading west. Plan is to leave NJ July 11th. Head straight to mount Rushmore. Then south through Wyoming, Colorado, check out trans continental railroad meeting location in north Utah. Stop and see friends in Salt Lake City, west to Bonneville salt flats. South to Zion, Bryce area. South again to 4 corners. Then probably east through to Memphis, Nashville, stop and see friends and family in Raliegh NC. Then north back home to NJ.
So, does anyone have some advise? Anything in particular to pack, check out, avoid, do, see, go ? We've never boondocked before but not opposed to it. And we've never been out more than 10 days. I took off work and well be out roaming for almost 5 weeks.
Your plan is not totally out of line. In 1976, I was stationed in Coos Bay, Oregon. I took my 4 weeks of leave in Sept, and my wife and I went to Connecticut and back in a new Corona station wagon with a tent, cooler, and stove.

However, we had no kids, and we still missed dozens of attractions we wanted to see. Was it worthwhile - absolutely. Although I wasn't sure when we ended up driving through the last night from San Francisco to Coos Bay in one swoop. That's a long drive in coastal fog.

In July, lower elevations in most of the country are going to be hot. The heat is going to restrict you during the day, especially with the kids. My advice would to focus your time on the higher areas - Black Hills; Wyoming and/or Montana; Bryce and Capitol Reef, but not Arches or Zion; Telluride and Ouray, but not Montrose or Grand Junction; Northern Rim of Grand Canyon, but not Southern Rim; - you get the idea.

Unless there is something in particular you wanted to see in 4 Corners, I would avoid it in favor of Silverton or Telluride. But that's me.

Enjoy your trip.
Fred W
Old 03-24-2019, 06:22 PM   #39

i do not know if it has been said yet or not but i would invest in the National Park pass its only 80 Dollars and it covers all your passengers. i use mine all the time ( i have a life time one) and it has saved us a bunch of money.

as for traveling with children on long distances it can be unbearable i have 4 children 12-10-5-4 and it gets a little tight when some are trying to sleep, watch a movie or just have their own 2 foot of space. we had 2 dvd players on the head rest so they could watch their own movies with head phones and the older ones had their game systems. we made sure we stop and got out every few hours to stretch our legs and get the bugs out and check over the rig. on our 18 hour journey home last year i noticed the emergency window lever on my window broke and was making the window flap. had to fix at a gas station. there is no real advice besides to try and make them comfortable as possible when traveling because each child is different.

if possible try and avoid the truck stops for fuel they are more expensive but you pay for the convenience. invest in a good TMPS it has saved us many of times and if you dont have one get a generator. if i am going any where north of 2 hours i bring mine. you never know what will happen and ill need it for the air compressor or for emergency power.

RV parky as stated before is a great app and gives you the ability to stop when your getting tired even when you feel you can go a little more. its better just to pull over and get a spot or stay at truck stop. your family is the most important. and from my days in the military. try to get 8 hours of sleep/relax time before hitting the road. you never know what will happen and youll need to stay up late.

and last but not least good luck and post alot of pictures.
2017 Nights Camped 75 and counting
2018 Nights Camped 40 and counting[/b]
USMC 2005-2015 OIF OEF
raforan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
utah