Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2022, 09:16 AM   #1

1st time travel trailer owner needs help with stair access

We just bought our first travel trailer. It's a 2022 VIBE and we love it!! We've just spent our 1st two nights in it. We're camping in the driveway until we've figured everything out. lol I need some information on accessibility. I have bad knees and will be having replacement surgery at the end of the year. I'm having difficulty getting up the stairs. There is just one handrail on the left side. I found a "Rock Steady Cane- Stand Assist " on Amazon that I can use on the right side, but didn't know what others with bad knees used.
Attached Files
File Type: docx Rock Steady Cane.docx (341.0 KB, 46 views)
stackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:23 AM   #2
Part-Time Campground Host

If the Torklift steps will fit your trailer they make a nice handrail. The steps are pricey, but they are super rock-steady.

https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowguide-handrail

Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1680
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 01:54 PM   #3

They make several styles of rv grab handles that are longer and fold out for better grip. One example here: https://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Car...4&sr=8-12&th=1
They also make step stools that can help you get onto that lower step. https://www.amazon.com/Kohree-Adjust...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Just 2 examples.
Old 06-03-2022, 03:38 PM   #4

Welcome to the Forum from Virginia !!!!!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 10:27 AM   #5
BMullins46

One thing to consider is that a handrail on the door side of the steps will interfear with the door. Highly recommend the knee replacement, we took a 5 month trip in 2017 and I had bad knees. I was miserable the whole trip, got them replaced after we got home and have been vurtually pain free ever since. My wife has bad knees and we bought an electric lift to get her in and out of the trailer. Google "Coach Lift" for details on the lift.
Good luck with your knee replacement
BMullins46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:21 PM   #6

I'll second the Torklift stairs. I've had a set on my trailer for 4 years now. Still look almost brand new. Because the bottom step has legs that sit on the ground, there is no bounce as you use them. They have versions for both the older under-mount pull out and the newer drawbridge style that store inside the trailer. Personally, I think Torklifts version is a lot better than what most manufacturers are using, you don't need a lot of room to deploy them, only enough room to open your door to 90 degrees.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
... Personally, I think Torklifts version is a lot better than what most manufacturers are using, you don't need a lot of room to deploy them, only enough room to open your door to 90 degrees.
SailorSam is referring to MorRyde StepAbove steps. I have those and agree with that assessment. I've never used TorkLift steps but have almost been in circumstances where I couldn't open my MorRyde steps to get in the door. Due to workarounds it hasn't actually come to that, yet, so I'm not willing to fork over that money. But, if I were in the OPs position, I'd get Torklift, not MorRyde.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer