Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2022, 09:23 AM   #1

2002 Wild dash 298 hss

Just bought this, really needs some serious repairs so I wonder who can help me, 1st time camper owner. Got to fix slide out, replace slideout wall, winterize and fix/check water heater. Retired on a limited income and this will end up as a liveable home. Please help if you can. I will post pics for clarification. Thanks so much. I'm looking for an owners manual ( Forest River only goes back to 2015) Thanks again.
joeydivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 10:19 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi and Welcome to FRF.
You'll have to provide more accurate information.
Have no idea what a Wild dash 298 hss is. There is no such FR brand.
There is no such thing as a model-specific nor brand-specific owners manual. Only a generic owners manual with no model-specific information. Just basic RV systems information.
Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 03:15 PM   #3

this is the unit I bought

https://driving-tests.org/vin-decoder/

4x4twde212y231128
Old 10-31-2022, 03:21 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydivi View Post
That returns as a Wildwood...not Wild dash.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 03:44 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
That returns as a Wildwood...not Wild dash.
I already assumed that they meant Wildwood but there is no such Wildwood model number as a 298HSS.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 03:58 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I already assumed that they meant Wildwood but there is no such Wildwood model number as a 298HSS.

Yeah the 8 is probably supposed to be a B as in Wildwood 29BHSS

Here is a 2002 sales brochure that has it

https://www.jerrystrailers.com/fckim...2_Wildwood.pdf

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 08:11 PM   #7

Apparently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Yeah the 8 is probably supposed to be a B as in Wildwood 29BHSS

Here is a 2002 sales brochure that has it

https://www.jerrystrailers.com/fckim...2_Wildwood.pdf
Apparently, a nominal 29-foot trailer with BunkHouse and SSlideout, per the brochure.

The Slideout and Slideout wall can become a big deal if there has been water intrusion and the wood is weakened or rotted. Post pictures and description.

Winterizing is very straightforward. You can do it in a couple of ways. Regardless of which way you choose, you MUST always turn the bypass valves on the water heater and then drain it by removing the drain plug accessed via the outside door. The drain might be a simple plug or a plug with an "anode rod" attached. (Our 2002 has a drain plug with a petcock in the plug, but it's a very uncommon brand of water heater.) You will also drain the fresh water tank, black tank, and gray tank.
  1. You can drain the plumbing by opening the low point drains and the taps to let the system drain.
  2. You can get a fitting that couples your air compressor to the "city water" inlet and blow the system clear by opening one tap at a time until air comes out.
  3. You can fill the system with RV antifreeze (NOT automotive antifreeze!) by using the trailer's water pump. This is my preferred method. Get two gallons of RV antifreeze (Walmart, around $3 per gallon). Near the water pump will be a two-position selector valve with three pipes/tubes. One goes to the fresh water tank, one goes to the trailer's plumbing, and the third goes to a short piece of tubing. Turn the selector valve so it points to the short tubing. Put the tubing in the bottle of antifreeze. Turn the pump on. (It will run for a several seconds and stop.) Go to each tap in turn and run it until the flow is solid pink. Then go to the "city water" inlet, remove the hose (if any) and the little domed screen. Stand aside from the inlet and gently press the stem in the inlet until pink fluid comes out.
Water heaters are easy to fix and most parts are inexpensive. But there are several varieties. Please open the outside door and get the manufacturer name and model number to eliminate confusion. Report them here. For example, it might be a Suburban SW6DE.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:49 AM   #8

thanks so much for the info, unfortunately the slide out was so rotted that it was not repairable so I removed the entire structure and now have to figure how to close in the opening which is about 12ft 4 in wide x 6ft tall. Any ideas ??
Old 11-07-2022, 08:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydivi View Post
thanks so much for the info, unfortunately the slide out was so rotted that it was not repairable so I removed the entire structure and now have to figure how to close in the opening which is about 12ft 4 in wide x 6ft tall. Any ideas ??
Might be able to find an entire slideout at an RV salvage yard. Hit the web.
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote