Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #1

2010 Rockwood Mini Lite 2304

New to this site and RVs in general. We will be first timers and are looking for any advice on the following questions.
1) Looking at a 2010 Rockwood Mini Lite 2304. Any comments of this unit.
2) Pulling with a 2008 Trailblazer towing capacity 5400 lbs. Hitch advice.
3) Debating between buying locally or having delivered from some 900 miles. Any advice?

Thanks in advance for any help....
Cguardia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

3) RVs can have "teething" issues. Buying locally could save some heartburn. A good dealer is worth something.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #3

Here are some things to consider.
Buying from a local dealer makes it much easier if the trailer has issues that need to be worked out.
Have you considered used for the 1st buy - that way if the RV Lifestyle isn't what you thought it would be you wouldn't lose the depreciation of a new trailer. However, a small used that you can pull are very hard to find.
Don't know where you live so wonder if you have several dealers to compare their customer service attitudes. Some are customer friendly & others aren't!

Happy camping, The Palmers
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
Site Team

3. having a local dealer is nice but it depends on how much you have to pay for it.

when we were shopping, the 3 local dealers wanted $4,000 and up more than a dealer in Chicago. this was on a trailer with a MSRP of $20k.
we went to Chicago and back to save the money. FR helped us find local dealers to do the warranty work. one sold Rockwood popups and another didn't even sell FR products.

for us, $1,000 would have been worth paying extra for local service. but not $4,000.
it's up to you to decide how much more it's worth. again, we had no problems getting local dealers to do the work, even though we didn't buy from them.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #5

We've looked for a used unit, but you are right Emptypockets, we have not been able to find a light weight trailer in good condition with the floor plan and options we want. We also understand the risk of buying new for the first RV.

I agree AcadianBob, I would much perfer to locally for several reasons. But like BikenDan stated, what is that worth to me. 10, 15 or 20 percent. Company I recieve a price from has told me they have an agreement with a RV company 3 miles from home will service the unit they sell to me. The local company sells Forest River units, but not Rockwood. I plan to stop in there tomorrow and talk to them about it.

Have a second company 3 miles the other direction that sells Rockwood, I am waiting on a price for the 2304 tomorrow.

For the record, we live near Lafayett, La. Still looking for advice about Hitch and Brake info.
Cguardia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:38 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I have a Reese Dual cam setup, works great when installed and set up correctly. Others have Equalizer and claim good results. Just make sure it is set up properly. If you have receiver on the Trailblazer, make sure it rated for more than the gross weight of the trailer. Seen many tow an 8000 pound trailer with a 5000 pound hitch.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:18 PM   #7

Just bought one

We just bought a 2304 yesterday. We found it to be eveerything we've been looking for in a trailer - and we've been looking for several years. The "local" dealer is about an hour and a half away. We looked at the unit there and they very much wanted to sell it to us. For some reason, we just couldn't consumate the sale that day and left. That night, I looked online and found one at a different dealer three hours away. The price was well over $2000 cheaper and that dealer was actually closer to where we plan to do most of our camping. So we bought it! The only bad part is that we now own something we haven't even seen. I sure hope we're not in for any ugly surprises when we go to pick it up. Cguardia, good luck on your quest.
jp2304 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags