Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2017, 08:35 PM   #1

2012 Jeep Liberty - TOAD Blue Ox setup questions

I will be installing Blue Ox base plate, Patriot II brake, and lights this weekend.

A YouTube video on "2013" Jeep liberty blue ox baseplate is very good but I am still a little unclear how/where to install the breakaway switch. On the baseplate the connector arms will come out the outside edge of the plastic grill which will need to be cut away. Will I need to cut another slot for the breakaway switch?

Anyone care to share close-up photos of your 2012 Jeep Liberty with Blue Ox breakaway switch location? I would like to have a plan before taking things apart so that I only have to take off façade and reinstall once.

Thanks, Wish me luck!
BobV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:00 PM   #2

Got the baseplate installed this afternoon. Not too bad after watching the YouTube video 20 times. Took a little time trying to decide where to attach the breakaway switch.

I will be adding the Blue Ox bulb and socket kit tomorrow. Nice thing about this kit is I do not have to tap into any of the existing Liberty wiring. Uhaul tapped into my Jeep Patriot wiring to install a trailer hitch wire harness and it caused lots of problems and had to go back to Uhaul to have them diagnose and fix.

Also going to add an additional 12 volt cigarette light outlet that is "always-on" as the console cigarette lighter plug goes off when ignition turned off.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:53 PM   #3

Done... 2012 Jeep Liberty baseplate, bulb and socket wiring kit, Patriot II breakaway switch wire run, additional "always-on" 12 volt outlet for Patriot II.

RV is at storage facility and it is now raining out so will have to do system test and first test run another day.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:10 PM   #4

Thanks for posting this. Have same thing - 2012 Liberty that we will be flat towing eventually.

Any pics you can post of setup etc would be appreciated [emoji3]
Old 09-04-2017, 10:13 AM   #5

Second time doing this as I timed out!

When when UHaul installed the trailer hitch and wire harness, the Jeep computer had to be flashed.

The Jeep Liberty cigarette lighter is fused through the ignition. It only operates when the ignition is on. Look in the owner's manual and locate the fuse position in the fuse block next to the battery. There is a vacant fuse slot adjoining it. Remove the fuse and move it to that slot. That will eliminate the ignition and will make the cigarette outlet powered constantly. Simple as that-been there and done that.

The Blue Ox wiring harness is pretty simple to install. Routing the wires as I suggest will give you a surplus of about 5-6 ft. You will only have to remove the two small panels at each rear corner. You can route the wires forward down the driver's side interior panels. I used good grade electrical tape at the rear and in the motor compartment to protect the wires. Not needed when running through the interior.

There are two metric screws holding each tail light assembly in place. Remove them and pull straight back. On the rear of the bottom red lens is a 1" circular outline. This is where you will very slowly-very carefully drill the hole with the provided hole saw. Drilling straight in is critical because the bulb and socket will snugly fit in the hole. If it is too loose, you may have to use a bit of caulk to hold it in. I routed the wires following the existing wires into the tail light assemblies. From passenger side to driver's side, zip ties were used to attach it to the trailer hitch to avoid snagging in the future.

The wiring harness can be run the full length of the passenger compartment without having to remove any panels other than the two mentioned above.
Route the wires around the jack so they do not interfere with the jack removal. Follow the driver's side panels at the carpet line forward to the firewall. I used a brake adjusting spoon to gently get under the side panels and a flat spatula to gently push the wires between the panel and the carpet, doing this all of the way forward. There is adequate space to do this.

There is a rubber boot wiring port on the fire wall. Combining the Patriot brake controller break away wire lead with the 4 Blue Ox wires, punch through the firewall with a sharp knife and feed the wires into the motor compartment.
I first taped the wires from the firewall to the length to the base plate, then routed the wires along the left front wheel well, between the battery, then down along the radiator to the left side of the base plate. Zip ties were used along the route to hold the harness in place. The break away switch was placed to the inside of the hitch pin socket and next to the 5-pin plug. It was made so that the break away could swivel 90 degrees to the side when not in use.

My first thoughts were to run the wires down the frame rail. Running them down the interior was much simpler and more weather proof.

One other suggestion. The brake controller will be the only draw on the Jeep battery. As an extra precaution, I installed a RVibrake battery tender and affixed it to the top of the fuse box with self adhering Velcro. The lead wire was attached to the 5th pin on the toad plug. The 5th pin converts to the 7-pin of the TV. This provides power to the battery tender only when the TV ignition is on. We were on the road 4 days without starting the Liberty. When we disconnected, the battery was at full charge and the amp gauge was in the normal range.

The Liberty is just over 5,000 lbs. I had a 5K hitch, but Blue Ox suggested not to exceed the hitch limits. So, we went with a Blue Ox Aladdin 7,500 lb hitch. This is aluminum except for the steel front portion that fits into the receiver.
We chose this because it was 35 lbs, easier on the back, and more resistant to the elements. We have this for sale that is less than a year old. Contact me on the private side if interested.

When this is done, the set up is invisible except when towing.Your will love the way this setup tows!
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:58 PM   #6

Thanks PenJoe. I ended up routing wires under jeep in wire conduit. Added additional 12 volt outlet inside left driver's side compartment. I am going to look into the rvi battery tender. I went with the Blue Ox Avail as price difference was not that great.

Tags
2012, blue ox, toad