Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2018, 06:27 PM   #1

2018 FR3 (2)6 volt Battery Issue

Bought a new 2018 30DS FR3 last August and currently have only 2,300 miles which included the trip back from Elkhart, Indiana to Vero Beach, Fla then to Charleston, SC then back to Vero Beach. I thought all the " bugs" were worked out which included:
Ford 550 V10 cab AC Problems[/U] (replaced 2 Shrader Valves 9/17, replaced Expansion Valve (Hi Pressure side was blocked) & replaced Drier 10/17
Norcold Model 2118T Refrigerator Problem -replaced cooling unit 10/17

(2) 6 Volt Batteries (under step entrance) Problem - Have not held charge - Entrance step control module had a short & was replaced 2/18. Despite this, on Monday of this week, I have noticed that after approx. 12 days of not entering RV ( and with Disconnect Switch shut off), steps do not automatically come out when entering RV. I then turned on Disconnect Switch and checked battery indicator light & it showed no battery power since none of the battery indicator lights lit. I then ran engine & Aux Gen for 1/2 hr. and the 4 battery indication lights lit. Question - Is it "normal" for the (2) 6 volt batteries not to hold their charge after a 2 week period?

I've had several other minor problems that also have been covered under warrranty (ex. front electric outlet not hooked up, rear bumper rust after 1 month, etc. - starting to put more mileage in trips to my RV maint. shop than I am in actual RV trips - needless to say I am disappointed & discouraged with Forest River Quality.
brmahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #2

very hard to say. but one part of your post might be a clue. you said you ran engine and the generator for 1/2 and then got 4 lights. i'm taking that to mean that you think the batteries were then recharged. 1/2 hour of generator is nowhere near enough time to recharge dead batteries. the four lights you saw are probably the voltage being produced by the converter / charger and not the true status of the batteries. now, i'm wondering if you really had the batteries fully charged when you stopped using it. if they were not then i could see them running down in 12 days. even with the disconnect switch taking the batteries offline, there are still many little loads that are connected to the battery and then can run a battery down over time. i had this problem. i ended up putting a true disconnect switch that fully disconnects the batteries. i have two generic group 27 12 volt batteries and i can now leave the trailer in storage without the batteries going dead. i go exercise the generator every month or so and the batteries are always fully charged.

Tags
battery, fr3