Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2021, 08:11 PM   #1

2019 MBS Oil Change Frequency

Hey there!
We recently got back from an 8k mile road trip across the Southern US, flat towing my Jeep behind my 2019 Forester MBS. I had the oil changed before we left, and the engine had about 11k miles on it then. That was its second oil change.

I know that these engines actually don’t need to have their first oil change until the 20K mile point, but under tow and fully loaded, I have a hard time believing that is the case. Right now, the engine has a little over 19k miles on it, but the oil is pitch black. I have a few more trips planned this summer, and was planning on getting a service, alignment, and a few other things after summer.

Any insight? Should I be alarmed by the black oil? Or is this normal in these engines?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0A5CCCF0-41C1-4ABA-ABB3-01CDC7644E70.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	257919  
TripRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:38 PM   #2
Brake is on left

The color of oil is not indicitve of how soon it needs to be changed. Diesels (in tact) will rarely ever have "clean" looking oil. It is the nature of the beast. You could change it every 3000 miles and it would be black. Do what makes you comfortable, but I would go by the book or message center. Whichever is the earlier interval.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:48 PM   #3

Thanks for the insight Evil Twin. I’ll probably just wait until my summer trips are wrapped up. I was leaning that way anyways.
Old 06-27-2021, 06:58 AM   #4

The mbs will tell you when its time. Service A and service B show on the dash when you switch to the correct screens i think
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 07:14 AM   #5

Diesel engines create soot and the additive package in the engine oil disperses it, preventing it from agglomerating-hence the black color, which has nothing to do with the oils ability to function as expected.

Although RV's don't rack up miles like a commercial vehicle would, an annual oil analysis ( about $25) is a great way to monitor not only oil life but verify if there may be any coolant issues or fuel dilution.
Lubehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 09:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubehead View Post
Diesel engines create soot and the additive package in the engine oil disperses it, preventing it from agglomerating-hence the black color, which has nothing to do with the oils ability to function as expected.

Although RV's don't rack up miles like a commercial vehicle would, an annual oil analysis ( about $25) is a great way to monitor not only oil life but verify if there may be any coolant issues or fuel dilution.
Years ago I knew some who would change the oil filters on their diesel engines about half way into an oil change cycle and just add enough oil to make up for that that that left with the old filter. Their logic was to make sure the filter could always control the amount of particulates that kept building up in the oil.

When I worked for an oil company they said dirty oil was a sign it was doing its job.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 12:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripRoader View Post
Hey there!
We recently got back from an 8k mile road trip across the Southern US, flat towing my Jeep behind my 2019 Forester MBS. I had the oil changed before we left, and the engine had about 11k miles on it then. That was its second oil change.

I know that these engines actually don’t need to have their first oil change until the 20K mile point, but under tow and fully loaded, I have a hard time believing that is the case. Right now, the engine has a little over 19k miles on it, but the oil is pitch black. I have a few more trips planned this summer, and was planning on getting a service, alignment, and a few other things after summer.

Any insight? Should I be alarmed by the black oil? Or is this normal in these engines?

Thanks!
I flat tow a Jeep also and my comfort level is to change oil at 10K. I always keep an eye on NAPA for sales on Mobil One. I get the transmission serviced at 25K as the trans temp gets pretty high towing through mountains. I change the Fuel Filter every other year after changing it every year for three years regardless of mileage and deciding that was overkill. There are some statements in the Maintenance Schedule that says every year on the Fuel Filter. So far about 35K with no issues.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 12:45 PM   #8

2016 MBS

I see many of our group have answered so I am a 2016MBS 3500 Sunseeker owner with 39K miles Prior info is right the MBS dash will show when you need to change about 2K miles Before your 20K limit
Changing your oil on this GREAT Engine before is a waste
Happy RVing
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripRoader View Post
Hey there!

Thanks!
stervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 12:53 PM   #9

We see more soot these days thanks to EGR, before that we could add a bypass filter and the oil wouldn’t turn black. Like others said an analysis is good, look at TBN and silica numbers also.
Look at Idparts.com for filter and oil deals, they have the German oil and filters. Flat rate shipping $5.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 09:49 PM   #10

So much great feedback. Thanks for the insight! I’m going to wait until I hit the 20k mark in about 1K miles to get a service. The engine IS great. It pulled strong all across the US, even passing semi’s going up long grades, while towing a jeep.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Years ago I knew some who would change the oil filters on their diesel engines about half way into an oil change cycle and just add enough oil to make up for that that that left with the old filter. Their logic was to make sure the filter could always control the amount of particulates that kept building up in the oil.

When I worked for an oil company they said dirty oil was a sign it was doing its job.
Unfortunately, oil filters won't remove moisture absorption. I believe that is the reason many manufacturers state-changing annually even if the mileage isn't reached.

I was told by an ASE Master Tech that this is more of a problem in high humidity areas.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacamastraveler View Post
Unfortunately, oil filters won't remove moisture absorption. I believe that is the reason many manufacturers state-changing annually even if the mileage isn't reached.

I was told by an ASE Master Tech that this is more of a problem in high humidity areas.
Moisture is removed by evaporation when you get the engine oil temperature above the boiling point of water. So don’t let it sit around.
Many big rigs run their oil 50k with testing and using an Eco-Pure bypass filter and adding some base if it gets too low.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote