Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2022, 10:50 AM   #1

29vbud caution

Hello I have been a camper for 30+ years and decided to try to teach my kids the same wonderful experiences I had as a child so me and my wife went out and bought a 2022 Forest river Wildwood 29vbud we used it three weeks after purchase brand new and it was not just a bad experience for me but a traumatic experience for my kids we had nothing but issues so here’s the story we took the trip from San Antonio to Fort Stockton roughly a 8 Hr drive We get to the RV park I hook up city water short power open my gray tanks after I’m hooked up to sewage Go to open the RV and there is a smell of electrical fire I open the windows let it air out and inspect for issues while inspecting I noticed three fuses were blown so I went for another hour drive to the nearest automotive store and bought new fuses get back to the trailer pop in new fuses and take the kids and the dog outside to play for a little bit while my wife takes a shower we go back into the trailer to make lunch and realize the shower has a leak so the living room is flooded clean up all the water and proceed to make lunch about two hours goes by and the lights in the living room start to go dim to bright dim to bright went outside to check the battery disconnect battery is on so I start my car to charge the battery shortly realizing that there is an issue with the relay to charge the battery off of shore power so we get ready for bed and about 1230 at night the CO2 sensor starts going off my wife in a panic wakes up the kids and tells them there’s a gas link with no overhead lights and fear of starting my truck because of a possible gas leak we had no option but to take an Uber to a hotel costing us an additional $400 we return the next morning To inspect the RV for gas leaks and the owner of the RV place comes over and asks if we need any help I tell him sure because I can’t figure out the problem they walk in and the first thing they say is “wow your roof is bowed” then they take a look at the circuit breaker box which when I replaced the fuses I had also noticed but didn’t think anything of it they told me my circuit breaker box was broken and that is a fire hazard they told me the O2 sensor was just an issue from the battery and there’s probably no gas leak and I should call the dealership immediately to let them know all the problems so I did and they recommended me to get a technician out there to fix the issues so I called a technician and after reviewing all of the things above along with the air conditioner that was not working 2 hours after use he gave me a quote of roughly $4800 I called the dealership and told them what he had quoted me and they told me to go ahead and pay it and warranty would reimburse me we ended up not paying it and cutting our four-day weekend short while driving home the rear door flew open and my son lost his luggage with his iPad and school laptop I checked the door the door was still locked with the deadbolt engaged while trying to reset the door it would not stay shut I had to end up duct taping it shut to say the least I was not expecting this from a $41,000 travel trailer my kids are scared to go into the RV because of a gas leak and now the possibility of mold not sure if I just got the bad egg Of the RVs or if others are having these problems thank you for your time I just wanted to let everyone know some of the issues
Jamesrozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 11:56 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesrozak View Post
Hello I have been a camper for 30+ years and decided to try to teach my kids the same wonderful experiences I had as a child, so me and my wife went out and bought a 2022 Forest river Wildwood 29vbud. We used it three weeks after purchase brand new and it was not just a bad experience for me but a traumatic experience for my kids. We had nothing but issues, so here’s the story.

We took the trip from San Antonio to Fort Stockton roughly a 8 Hr drive. We get to the RV park I hook up city water, short power, open my gray tanks after I’m hooked up to sewage.

Go to open the RV and there is a smell of electrical fire. I open the windows, let it air out and inspect for issues. While inspecting, I noticed three fuses were blown so I went for another hour drive to the nearest automotive store and bought new fuses. Get back to the trailer, pop in new fuses and take the kids and the dog outside to play for a little bit while my wife takes a shower.

We go back into the trailer to make lunch and realize the shower has a leak so the living room is flooded. Clean up all the water and proceed to make lunch. About two hours goes by and the lights in the living room start to go dim to bright dim to bright. Went outside to check the battery disconnect battery is on so I start my car to charge the battery, shortly realizing that there is an issue with the relay to charge the battery off of shore power.

So we get ready for bed and about 1230 at night the CO2 sensor starts going off. My wife in a panic wakes up the kids and tells them there’s a gas link. With no overhead lights and fear of starting my truck because of a possible gas leak, we had no option but to take an Uber to a hotel costing us an additional $400.

We return the next morning To inspect the RV for gas leaks and the owner of the RV place comes over and asks if we need any help. I tell him sure because I can’t figure out the problem. They walk in and the first thing they say is “wow your roof is bowed”. They take a look at the circuit breaker box, which when I replaced the fuses, I had also noticed but didn’t think anything of it. They told me my circuit breaker box was broken and that is a fire hazard. They told me the O2 sensor was just an issue from the battery and there’s probably no gas leak and I should call the dealership immediately to let them know all the problems. So I did, and they recommended me to get a technician out there to fix the issues. I called a technician and after reviewing all of the things above along with the air conditioner that was not working 2 hours after use he gave me a quote of roughly $4800.

I called the dealership and told them what he had quoted me and they told me to go ahead and pay it and warranty would reimburse me. We ended up not paying it and cutting our four-day weekend short. While driving home the rear door flew open and my son lost his luggage with his iPad and school laptop. I checked the door the door was still locked with the deadbolt engaged. While trying to reset the door it would not stay shut. I had to end up duct taping it shut.

To say the least I was not expecting this from a $41,000 travel trailer. my kids are scared to go into the RV because of a gas leak and now the possibility of mold. Not sure if I just got the bad egg Of the RVs or if others are having these problems thank you for your time.
I just wanted to let everyone know some of the issues
I edited your post somewhat with punctuation and paragraph breaks in the quote above. It is just too hard to read as you have it originally typed.

If you have no objections, I plan to replace your original with my edited version.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 01:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesrozak View Post
not sure if I just got the bad egg Of the RVs or if others are having these problems thank you for your time I just wanted to let everyone know some of the issues
Welcome to the forum!

I'd say that your experience is extreme.

Because you had a water leak, you probably should call your insurance company and make a claim. It's not your fault that the plumbing leaked and flooded the rig and the risk of mold is real. They may say its a complete loss because of the wet insulation would cost more to remediate than the rig is worth.

It might not have had a gas leak, unless you smelled gas. Those alarms go off for different types of gases and even for dead batteries. But that's beside the point.

Glad your family is ok.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:27 AM   #4

Did you do a full checkout at the dealership?

Did you do some checks at home before your first trip?

If you didn't get a chance to wring everything out before your first trip, why wouldn't you do so at the campground? I certainly wouldn't hook everything up and leave immediately. I'd stay in the unit an hour or two and keep checking for issues.
Old 09-17-2022, 12:15 PM   #5

We did do a walk through with the tech that checked everything and also hooked everything up when we got home other then black tank and when we got there I hooked everything up and was right out front with the kids and dog while my wife was taking a shower
Jamesrozak is offline   Reply With Quote