Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #21
Brigitte

Not sure i understand. What does the bent hose do?
What i see on my tt is the water tank and a clear hose coming down to drain it. Haven't seen anything else but also havent looked very hard. Only reason i know about that drain hose is once i started filling the tank, the water poured out of it at the same time from that hose. So i shut the valve on it.
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #22

you have a 'drain' hose - the outlet hose that feeds the plumbing system. There is a low point drain (marked on the side of the camper) and a cap that screws on/off at the low point. THis is so you can drain all the freshwater for say, winterizing.

The tank as the fill hose and a vent hose. The missing hose is the vent hose - it runs from the top of the tank to the fill fitting. If it's not there critters can indeed get into the tank and when the tank is near full and you drive down the road you will lose water as it splashes about.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #23
Current River Rat

If they are leaving these off to save money it makes me wonder what else they are short-cutting on. It's a good thing rv manufacturing is not that feasible overseas or they would be importing them and probably be better quality. I for sure am going to contact FR and let them know that this is a stupid idea. I will be installing some sort of hose on mine. If I can get to the panel it will go up there. Also had a piece of trim fall off the corner of the bed. Stupid staples. For those that have commented on the looks of the rig I have to agree. They did a pretty good job there and I do like it so far. Enjoying the power awning and each time I retract it I've got fingers crossed and mumbling....come on baby.
f1100turbo, if you do decide to visit the park let me know and we might try to join you. It's 2 hours from my house and a super nice area and rv park.
We could make it a FROG getaway. Summer there is busy as a one legged man in an ass-kicking contest. Spring, early summer or after Labor day is best.
Johnson's Shut-Ins State Park | Missouri State Parks
Old 05-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #24

Looks like a 26bh?? This weekend marks the start of our second year camping with a Greywolf 26bh. We like it. Yes, after a year we have found ways they cut corners, but hey, gives me something to do. i.e. improve it.

Anyways, enjoy... It's a fun little camper
2007 Expedition
2011 Forest River Greywolf 26BH
sundawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #25
Current River Rat

There. I fixed it!

Had the day off so I decided to tackle the non-existent water tank vent hose. As one of the other posts mentioned the screened vent outlet at the fill panel had been filled with white silicone. So it does look like they are leaving those hoses off. What a dumb decision. When I gave the underneath a good look I could see there was no way I was going to be able to follow the fill hose up. Completely disappears in the underbelly and above the gray tank. Plan B. Mine is probably like a lot of the small to med Grey Wolf's when standing in front of the fridge my bath sink is on the left (pump below the sink) and to the right is the stove and then the kitchen sink. When I removed the panel below the bath sink to gain access to the pump area I was able to see the back of the fill panel. The water lines were routed below the fridge, over the top of the furnace and below the stove and up to the kitchen sink. I ahd picked up some 1/2 inch clear tubing, pretty flexible, at Home Depot in a 20 ft roll and a couple of clamps. The gas lines for the stove, fridge and such came up through the floor right below the kitchen sink and due to the craftsmanship FR workers have in making holes, lo and behold, there was plenty of room to run the tubing through by the gas lines, since this was the closest access to get to the vent elbow on the tank. Anyway, ran the tubing up through the hole, back along the water lines and hooked it up the fill panel vent. (After cleaning out the silicone) Tie wrapped and resealed everything and we now have a PROPER fresh water tank vent. What would have taken them 5 minutes took me about an hour once I got started. If anyone would like pics I can take some this weekend and post.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #26

Did you get potable water hose? Just in case you didn't think of it....the water will go into hose and back into tank. FYI in case you drink the water outta the tap.
Whiskeyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #27

Yes, please post pictures... After reading all the posts I am a little confused.. Thanks in advance!
2007 Expedition
Old 05-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack
Did you get potable water hose? Just in case you didn't think of it....the water will go into hose and back into tank. FYI in case you drink the water outta the tap.
Huh? Little confused by what you are saying. The vent line comes out of the tank with a 90 degree hose barb fitting. Then once you buy the hose, it will go up to the screen next to the tank fill port. How will the water get back into the tank? If you put too much water in the tank it will just squirt out the screen port. I know this because I put my hose in like a couple other guys here had to.
Barnman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #29

What I'm saying is the water does go out yes. But not every last drop exits the hose out the top. Once it has vented enough, what water is still inside that hose will drain back into the tank. Not alot of water mind you, but I'm sure over a long period of time it probably wouldn't be good to drink. Same reason we use the white hose instead of plain ol green ones to fill the tank. Just sayin....
Whiskeyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
Same reason we use the white hose instead of plain ol green ones to fill the tank. Just sayin....
Crap...never occurred to me...

Old 05-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #31

Ahhh , I just had to look. Does seem funny they didn't connect the two....
2007 Expedition
Old 03-10-2014, 04:11 AM   #32

Cool New 17 bh Owner

Hi,
I've been following your messages a bit. We just ordered our 17 bh and it's due in a couple weeks...can't wait. Got a Ford F-150 and we're ready to get started. Finally leaving our pop-up camper life. Did you get the weight distribution bars? Are they necessary?
tjcafarrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #33
pip

weight distribution bars

I have the 26 bh so it's a little heaver than yours, but yes i did get the weight distribution bars, you may not need them but I think it's better to have them. have a great time with it.

pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:03 PM   #34

hey tj I would get them just for safety purposes alone......We found they trailer pulled waaaaayy better with them.
Canadian Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:50 AM   #35

Depends..on an F150 I'd probably get them.
What they do is spread the tongue weight to the front axle - so you can do the math and decide if it's needed or not.

Figure 10-15% of LOADED trailer should be on the tongue/hitch so if the TT is 5500 loaded that's 825lbs...if the TT is 6500 its close to 1000. Add anything into your bed, plus the hitch weight and you can be pushing the limits (with passengers) on the GVWR. Since most is in the back the front of the truck goes up..harder on the truck, scarier steering, headlights point at the sky, etc.

You buy it once - you use it everytime you camp and it can be moved from TT to TT so you'l have it for life.

I got ones with anti-sway built in and it's amazing - wind, passing trucks, uneven pavement and no sway, no issues at all. Steady as she goes.