Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2017, 11:56 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeWayne View Post
Could be- My wife sez I'm not always right..
You are correct- I was thinking of weights and got my percentages in the wrong place-- the pin hitch can =handle more weight that the tounge hitch==like 20-25% while the tongue hitch should be around 15%.
DeeWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:58 PM   #42

Every fiver we have had has 15%-17% pin weight. Guess we are lucky
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:01 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
DeeWayne, your figures are backwards. The pin weight of a 5er should be 20-25% of the trailer’s weight. The tongue weight on a TT should be 10-15% of the trailer’s weight.
you are correct
DeeWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:42 AM   #44
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post

From everything I've read, that sounds low. Perhaps you need load more of your trailer cargo forward of the axles.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:52 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
From everything I've read, that sounds low. Perhaps you need load more of your trailer cargo forward of the axles.
Why? When they all pulled perfectly? Oh...dang, you got me with another bait comment
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:11 AM   #46
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Why? When they all pulled perfectly? Oh...dang, you got me with another bait comment

Happy camping.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:44 AM   #47

Quote:
Actually, I agree with you, dry pin weights are frequently under 20%, but because fivers have so much forward storage, it isn't unusual for the loaded pin weight to exceed 20% of the fully loaded weight. So, really everyone is right.
larrytbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:15 AM   #48

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Throw a front bath in there or a washer dryer and the pin weight can be 25% easily every more with junk in the front storage bay.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:39 PM   #49

My scenario

OK since this post was at an end I would like some input on my configuration. I don't know if this is considered highjacking a post or not so sorry if I did. I have read these posts on pin weight and cargo capacity etc for many months now after I joined the forums. I have researched and read and read and read and of course you get so many different answers you think you are going crazy. Anyway I have a 2017 CC 34RL2 empty weight of 12K and GVWR of 16K. I tow with a 2017 Ford 250 SD 4WD CC SRW diesel with airlift airbags. So far all feels really pretty good. I keep reading about DRW's and F350's and wonder if I'm within limits. I weighed rig etc and still am not sure how to calculate pin wt etc. My payload (on the doorpost) is around 2100 so I'm just not sure. Any ideas would be welcome. I just want to be safe but also understand that everyone has an opinion. Drove a DRW today just for kicks and yes it is indeed stable. But also this RV ing can break a guy.
hollandsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:34 PM   #50

I'd have to agree with the other post about driving your setup around for a while then deciding if you feel "overweight". Most TV's pulling a fiver are technically overweight, but unless you are over the capability of the axle weight and/or tires or drive like an idiot then you aren't a danger to society. Some people act like fivers are laying on their sides on interstates all over America. I can't help but to think that some people are jealous of others that do more with less.

At first I was a little apprehensive about towing our fiver with our F250 (2250# door sticker, 2100# dry hitch), but once I drove it around the first time the truck felt more than capable and I didn't believe I would endanger my family or yours. After 10 trips, my opinion hasn't changed. Indeed these trucks are built for much more than that little yellow stickers says.

Have fun y'all
Old 11-30-2017, 11:41 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandsam View Post
OK since this post was at an end I would like some input on my configuration. I don't know if this is considered highjacking a post or not so sorry if I did. I have read these posts on pin weight and cargo capacity etc for many months now after I joined the forums. I have researched and read and read and read and of course you get so many different answers you think you are going crazy. Anyway I have a 2017 CC 34RL2 empty weight of 12K and GVWR of 16K. I tow with a 2017 Ford 250 SD 4WD CC SRW diesel with airlift airbags. So far all feels really pretty good. I keep reading about DRW's and F350's and wonder if I'm within limits. I weighed rig etc and still am not sure how to calculate pin wt etc. My payload (on the doorpost) is around 2100 so I'm just not sure. Any ideas would be welcome. I just want to be safe but also understand that everyone has an opinion. Drove a DRW today just for kicks and yes it is indeed stable. But also this RV ing can break a guy.
Your Ford is a towing beast. That being said be aware how much weight is on your rear axel and tires. With the air bags your axels and tires should hold 6K# with no sag. With a 5er that size you are in F350 SRW and maybe duly territory.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:42 PM   #52

Back to the original question. This might be blasphemy on a Forest River forum, but DW and I saw an Open Range Light 318RLS that we fell in love with. It’s similar to our 2703WS floorplan but the living area felt much brighter and more open. They are 100” wide. About 10K GVWR and just over 8K dry. Pin weight around 1200 to 1400#. These are advertised as “half-ton towable”.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:24 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandsam View Post
Short answer is you are exceeding the truck's payload. The 34RL2 has a DRY pin weight of 2270 lbs, your payload is only 2100 lbs which is reduced by options, weight of hitch, passengers, misc. So, even with an empty trailer you are in trouble with just 2100 lbs of payload. But your truck's payload is artificially limited by it's GVWR rating minus it's dry weight.

The real critical answer is are you exceeding the rear axle GAWR and tire capacity of the truck? You need to take your fully loaded truck and trailer to a weight scale and get individual axle weights, specifically the truck's rear axle weight. Then compare that number to the axle GAWR and the tire capacity. Are the truck tires rated at 3042 lbs each or do they have a higher rating, closer to 3500 lbs? You really need the weight info.
larrytbm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wheel