Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2018, 05:54 PM   #21
Charlie & Sue

30 Amp Vs 50 Amp Hookups

We are wired for 50 amp but our seasonal site and many campgrounds only have 30 amp. We have 2 AC's, but only use 1 by preference when on 30 amp. Always operate fridge and water heater on AC and can run main AC at the same time. Cannot use microwave with AC on 30 amp but that is not a problem as our microwave is our bread box.
mecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:01 PM   #22

The 30A breaker in the pedestal is too big for the 15A female plugs on the Y...regardless if extension cords are use or what devices are connected at the far end.
LegacyFB38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:04 PM   #23

Common sense camping and you should be fine. If you want to run the air while making coffee and cooking bacon on an electric griddle while your wife runs her hair dryer after getting out the shower you will probably have problems.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:12 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyFB38 View Post
The 30A breaker in the pedestal is too big for the 15A female plugs on the Y...regardless if extension cords are use or what devices are connected at the far end.

After looking at the picture I could only hope there were fuses inside the boxes. But my story was not using the spliter.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:27 PM   #25
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post

After looking at the picture I could only hope there were fuses inside the boxes. But my story was not using the spliter.
Fella10 did say he put 20A inline fuses in the boxes. I taking the word "fuses" as meaning he put a 20A fuse for each 15A cord coming out. It looks to me that the boxes is something he added to the spliter.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:14 PM   #26

To change the discussion a bit, if you post your destination and campground other members in that area may be able to direct you to a campground with 50 amp service.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:44 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Let's say newbee Joe goes on his first camping trip in his new camper. He goes to HD and buys himself a 100' 14 ga extension cord. He gets to camp and finds out his trailer cord won't reach the pedestal. He breaks out his new 100' cord and a collection of UL approved adaptors. BAM! He's got power. He can now apply a 30 amp load on a 15 amp cord and add a ton of voltage drop to boot. And if he's really clever he can get 50 amps on the same cord. The cord and /or plugs are gonna go into meltdown and no fuse is gonna blow until there is a short. That is the problem with adaptors.
Well, If Newbie does this there is only one phrase applicable...................
"You Can't Fix Stupid"
Old 03-27-2018, 08:44 PM   #28

(s)My comments were on the splitter as manufactured. The boxes with fuses that were added to a splitter solves the problem of 15 or 20 amp female plug/extension cords/loads not being adequately protected by a 30 fuse/breaker in a pedestal.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:49 PM   #29

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
...and without going into a lot of details, there are also many of us who carry 'dog bones'(adapters) and several types of 'Y' adapters to facilitate having access to MORE power than the typical 30amp RV service outlet can provide -
such as if you also have a 15/20 outlet on the same power pole, you can add it with the 'Y' adapter and get 45 to 50amps, or you can draw it thru an extension cord from another location, etc.
Some adapters also let you tap into TWO different 30amp outlets, giving you 60amps, if the park allows and/or you have a vacant site next door, etc.

Some of us get 'real' creative when we have to. : )
I carry all types as well. You can do a lot with 60 amps!!
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:51 PM   #30

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Have you actually been able to find campgrounds with non-gfci 15/20 amp outlets where these y-adapters could possibly function? I'm asking for a reason, as I actually have a tutorial on these y-adapters pending. If so, can I PM you for some questions I have?
I do it all the time. Most sites I am at do not have GFCI so good to go.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:55 PM   #31
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
Should be no problem, as already stated. Everyone using power has to be aware of the limitations, that's all.
And the problem is some folks do not have a clue and they end up screwing up your camp site power supply and then you wonder why cg have restrictions on what power requirement you need. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:16 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Well, If Newbie does this there is only one phrase applicable...................
"You Can't Fix Stupid"
let's just hope the Newbee Joes hang out here and learn how to use and not use adaptors so they won't be stupid anymore.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:33 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
Fella10, I'm not sure I understand or follow your logic about the 'safety' issue with these adapters. They are designed to carry the appropriate load for the 'size' connection that they plug into. .........
I can only explain the reason why I installed the fuses, which I've already done in post #14, I can't make you understand it, .... but I'll try once again, ...

circuit breakers are in a system to protect the WIRING from overheating and starting a fire, ... when a 30A to 15A(Y or single) adapter is plugged into the 30A female on the power pole, any extension cord plugged into the 15A female is not protected, because there is no cb that will protect that extension cord, ...

oh, wait there is a cb in that system, but it's a 30A cb which is there to protect the 30A cord, but there's NO protection for a 20A or 15A cord that may be plugged into the adapter, ... yes, a person can ignore this fact and may never have a problem(I used my Y for almost a year before realizing there was no protection for my extension cord/cords), ... but that doesn't make it a safe thing to do, ...

I use my extension cord arrangement to power my heaters in the winter and the ac in the summer, ... so I want to do it correctly and safely, and that's why I installed the 20A inline fuses, to give the WIRE protection that the manufacturer didn't provide in the design of the adapter, ...

Answered
In Science
What is the main purpose of a circuit breaker or fuse on a circuit?

The main purpose of a circuit breaker is to protect wiring from overheating and starting fires.

Answered
In Electrical Engineering
What is the purpose of an electric circuit breaker?

The purpose of a circuit breaker is to protect electrical wiring from overheating and starting fires.

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:38 PM   #34
Site Team

If running a/c, water heater and frig becomes a problem perhaps you can run a separate power cord from the 15amp plug on the pedestal to water heater. ? Just a thought.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:48 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
If running a/c, water heater and frig becomes a problem perhaps you can run a separate power cord from the 15amp plug on the pedestal to water heater. ? Just a thought.
if your post is to me, ... I've been doing that for over two years,, .... but our favorite cg flooded during hurricane Matthew and since then many of the 15A outlet don't work, ... so I begin using the 30A to 15A adapters, ... not realizing at that time, the facts I mentioned in my previous post, ... happy and safe trailering

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:36 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
I can only explain the reason why I installed the fuses, which I've already done in post #14, I can't make you understand it, .... but I'll try once again, ...

circuit breakers are in a system to protect the WIRING from overheating and starting a fire, ... when a 30A to 15A(Y or single) adapter is plugged into the 30A female on the power pole, any extension cord plugged into the 15A female is not protected, because there is no cb that will protect that extension cord, ...

oh, wait there is a cb in that system, but it's a 30A cb which is there to protect the 30A cord, but there's NO protection for a 20A or 15A cord that may be plugged into the adapter, ... yes, a person can ignore this fact and may never have a problem(I used my Y for almost a year before realizing there was no protection for my extension cord/cords), ... but that doesn't make it a safe thing to do, ...

I use my extension cord arrangement to power my heaters in the winter and the ac in the summer, ... so I want to do it correctly and safely, and that's why I installed the 20A inline fuses, to give the WIRE protection that the manufacturer didn't provide in the design of the adapter, ...

Answered
In Science
What is the main purpose of a circuit breaker or fuse on a circuit?

The main purpose of a circuit breaker is to protect wiring from overheating and starting fires.

Answered
In Electrical Engineering
What is the purpose of an electric circuit breaker?

The purpose of a circuit breaker is to protect electrical wiring from overheating and starting fires.
:trin k39:
Old 03-28-2018, 10:37 PM   #37

fella10 is correct. The 30 amp breaker in the pedestal is NOT adequate protection for 15/20 amp receptacles, extension cords, and loads.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:07 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyFB38 View Post
fella10 is correct. The 30 amp breaker in the pedestal is NOT adequate protection for 15/20 amp receptacles, extension cords, and loads.
VERY true, BUT, if the 30/50 adapter is plugged into a 30 A receptacle at the pole and a 50 A cord is used there is NO overload problem.

Even the dual adapter, allowing you to plug into a 30 A and 20 A receptacles at the same time, if used with your 50 A cord for your camper is Lawful, protected and NOT unsafe.

The key to safety is to use the cord required by your camper and adapt to it, NOT to use a smaller cord between the adapter and the camper
Old 03-29-2018, 08:00 AM   #39

agreed...

and my assumption is that the manufacturer already has built in protection within their 'adapter' to prevent more amps from flowing from a 30amp outlet thru a 15amp line than should be allowed. It's highly doubtful that an adapter would be sold to the public that allows that to easily happen. I could see that if you had several items plugged into the same end of the extension cord it would be possible. I would doubt, though, that just because the adapter has two 15amp female connectors that either can allow more than the 15amps they are designed for, especially if it is a UL approved product.

The protection should already be inherent for the adapter, but it's the owner's own extension cord that is not necessarily individually protected by anything, if the cord is not sized correctly for the maximum 15amps and the length of run.
Adding a 20amp protection doesn't seem to protect anything in this scenario. It's a higher limit than what the adapter is already designed for. Adding a 15amp in-line protection to the extension cord itself might be a more appropriate option, if your length of run warrants it.
Running a heater, especially on the 'high' 1500w setting, or a larger draw AC unit, might heat up the extension cord wiring enough, over time, to create an issue if the cord is not sized correctly.

All that being said, the manufacturer of the adapter, maybe Camco, can better shed light on whether my assumption that some type of amperage protection is already built into the unit.

I may sound as if I'm knocking the setup of this personal adapter usage, but what i really want to set my own mind at ease about is whether the additional 'protection' is really needed for the device/adapter itself, or whether it's really needed on the extension cords themselves, if the owner is concerned about over amperage possibilities... not a really 'normal' electrical setup, and therefore some manufacturers data and backing information might be warranted. I really LIKE the idea, the owner is very creative!

I've also done some really 'creative' electrical 'wiring' myself in several camping situations. I'm probably less concerned about this type of over amperage scenario, but it does bring to light whether that protection is already assumed by the manufacturer - inquiring minds would like to confirm!

are we still having fun yet? YES!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:05 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
VERY true, BUT, if the 30/50 adapter is plugged into a 30 A receptacle at the pole and a 50 A cord is used there is NO overload problem.

Even the dual adapter, allowing you to plug into a 30 A and 20 A receptacles at the same time, if used with your 50 A cord for your camper is Lawful, protected and NOT unsafe.

The key to safety is to use the cord required by your camper and adapt to it, NOT to use a smaller cord between the adapter and the camper
But, there are adapters made that let a person, in fact, plug a 14 ga or for that matter a 16 ga cord into a 30 amp and or 50 amp outlet. My neighbor in my camp is such a person. His 30a cord will not reach the ped so his anwser is a 14 ga cord. His answer is "It works just fine". Some people don't understand and just don't care as long as it works. That's why adaptors are dangerous.

The 30 and 20 amp adaptor at the same time you speak of no not work with an RV because the PED has a GFI on the 20 amp recp. Either it or the one in the RV will trip. 2 GFI's in series do not play nice. Circuit breakers protect the WIRES. If you make something to defeat that protection bad things can happen.