Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2015, 10:09 AM   #1

4" GelFoam Mattress Pads $99

Just a heads up, everybody knows how comfortable the "stock" mattresses are in their new camper, so I was told to get a good foam mattress pad. I had been looking around and found anything thicker than 1 1/2" was kinda spendy, but happened to glance through a flyer and saw 4" Gelfoam pads over 50% off at Shopko through the 4th of April. Normally $229 for twin-queen, now $99, just a little more for king. I picked one up and it really seems to make a difference.
Now when I sneak out there to take a nap, I'll be even more comfy
USAF Vet
bigoil7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:25 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

We tried the foam toppers and they were OK. The foam seemed to get warm in the summer nights. But when we went to the Goshen Rally we found a Sealy mattress for $500 and was it the best investment we made. It's as good as sleeping at home.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:55 PM   #3

Bigoil, do you have a link?
Joec1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:09 PM   #4

http://www.shopko.com/product/entity/44630.uts

But this looks like residential size and not sure you can trim a gel mattress down to fit an RV bed.
Maxhise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:11 PM   #5

Maxhise, I'm new to owning a camper, my gf and I have been looking for a memory foam topper for our camper. Are you saying our hybrid queen bed is a different size than the queen bed in our house?
Joec1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:11 PM   #6

The mattress pad is about 4" longer than the camper mattress, same width. Cut it easily with a carpet knife or let it roll over the head end.
USAF Vet
bigoil7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:16 PM   #7

4" GelFoam Mattress Pads $99

Some RVs come with a short queen bed - same width as home but shorter in length

A home queen is 60 wide x 80 inches long

An electric knife works well to trim foam
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:34 PM   #8
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joec1882 View Post
Maxhise, I'm new to owning a camper, my gf and I have been looking for a memory foam topper for our camper. Are you saying our hybrid queen bed is a different size than the queen bed in our house?
Your hybrid should have a regular queen and not an rv queen.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:00 PM   #9

Yeah, our Sabre had a queen size that was smaller than our queen for the house. When we got our Salem, it was to have a king, and it is smaller than the king we have in the house.
pacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:34 AM   #10

In my last 5th wheel I replaced the factory rv queen with a residential pillow top mattress. Only issues I had was it hung over the end of the bed frame so when you sat in the foot it would slide a little so you had to keep pushing it back to head board every morning. Other problem was it was really heavy and made it hard to get to under bed storage. Luckily my new one has a Serta memory foam mattress because it slides and it actually touches the wardrobe when you slide it in so I can't upgrade to longer one.

Ps. I was shocked on the new one when I open the under bed storage and it pops up all by itself. Much easier.
Maxhise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:34 PM   #11

We bought a 2" foam for our RV and I really like it. Then we bought a 4" for the house - not so much.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:29 PM   #12
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Sam's club sells a 4" gel foam that looks the same as the OP mentioned and its also $99. Had one now for 3 years and its great. My original TT was RV short queen size (75" x 60") so I used an electric knife like the one we carve the turkey with and shaved off 5" from the length. We use a good quality fitted mattress cover that makes it ride like a single mattress with no sliding around. Highly recommended.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:45 PM   #13

our hybrid has a short queen heated mattress, and I put a 3' standard queen over top of it. I like how it fills the space of the bed platform. The stock mattress has space all around it, so when we put the memory foam topper in, it filled it quite well. Now we have a standard queen sleeping area instead of the short queen. My feet will never know the difference

Oh...and the heated mattress works just fine under the memory topper. Warms everything up real nice. In the summer, we'll switch it around so the foam doesn't warm us up. We sleep on a tempurpedic at home, so sleeping on the Rockwood stock hybrid mattresses was not an option for us. IMHO, my 1992 coleman pup foam mattress was much more comfortable.

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
Me, Hubby and Luna the Lab
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:03 PM   #14

Our campers have all had the short queen with under bed storage. I built a replacement board that is 4" longer- the foot end that also acts as the lid to the storage- and put a covered foot board on it to hold the mattress. We then bought an 8" thick standard queen foam mattress. The foot board presses the mattress firmly into the front of the camper, eliminating the gap where our pillows used to fall. So, in short, we now have a comfy mattress that is longer, uses standard sheets, doesn't allow the pillows to fall down and is super comfortable. It's actually the same mattress we have on our home bed, so no getting used to the new feel since they sleep identically. I think we spent in the low $200's for the mattress and the board mod required a sheet of 1/2" plywood, an 8' 1x6 and a piece of carpet or other covering material.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:56 PM   #15
Jim

Purchased one of these at Sams Club 2 years ago for our bed at home. Purchased another for our Kng bed in 5er last spring. My wife was able to trim with razor cutter to match the King in camper. It is great!!
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:05 PM   #16

So we started by adding the 4" topper from Sam's club, shortened it with the electric carving knife bought at a clearance store after drawing the line with a sharpie. This year went on overstock.com & bought a short queen 11" memory foam mattress to replace it with ... saved a lot of $$$

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:09 PM   #17

RV Mattresses

I found a site online where I bought a short king for my TT. It is the most comfortable mattress I have slept on. The site has any size mattress you want. You can even buy fitted sheets and encasements to fit your mattress. I am picking up my V-Cross tomorrow and it has a 60'X74 Queen. Unfortunately I have to let my King go with the trade in so I splurged once again and bought from this site. The one I am purchasing is top of the line. Here's the link to it if you are interested in throwing out that stock mattress. Luxury RV Mattress | RV Mattress Gel Foam
vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:00 PM   #18

We got our queen memory foam topper at Costco. Cut it a bit shorter to fit our short queen in the RV, using electric knife. Liked it so much, also bought one for the bed at home!