Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2019, 10:04 PM   #1

43" Insignia LED TV - 14lbs - $150

So, I thought I would share this - not sure if I will get in trouble for mentioning brand names or retailers …

I just picked up a 43" Insignia LED tv that only weighs 14 lbs from a major big box store that rhymes with Guest Guy …

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...?skuId=6319495

I also bought a Sanus fixed-position wall mount with a "quick mount" - once the bracket is on the wall you just lift the TV (with the attaching brackets mounted to the back) onto the rails and it clicks in place.

The problem is that there is a lot of "slop" in the mount - it can easily wiggle up and down, meaning that it has to come off the mount every time it's moving.

This would be a killer bracket on a stationary wall, but even though the tv is only 14 lbs I think that in time it would rip the screws out because it can "bounce" on the bracket.

As I said, taking it off and putting it back on the bracket is fairly easy (about 10 seconds) the problem is with the HDMI cable and the over air antenna cable. Making these connections requires balancing the tv - plus removing the tv from the wall mount requires a place to store it while on the road.

My entertainment center has a recess where the tv mounts, which keeps it out of the way, but it also limits access to other style brackets.

I'm thinking that a 14 lb tv would be fine on a solid, stable rigid mount (with sufficient screws), that way I wouldn't have to dismount and remount the tv every time.

For the record this is a 2016 Flagstaff 8528RKWS.

The layout is such that I don't need (or want to pay for) a swivel mount - I want one that sits flat against the wall in the recess and doesn't move.

Please know that I've read about 200 posts on here regarding tv mounts and I couldn't find the answer that I'm looking for - most got off-topic fairly quickly or they dealt with mounting area or they were focused more on wall strength for swivel mounts.

I'm looking for a permanent mount (I'm going to use #8 screws) that will simply hold a 14 lb tv permanently.

Anyone have any suggestions - or reasons why I should go permanent?

Thanks in advance.
PatrickY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #2

Actually I meant "Anyone have any suggestions - or reasons why I should NOT go permanent?
PatrickY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:42 PM   #3

I've installed a lot of flat panel TVs in houses and RVs for friends and relatives. That's what happens when you are retired and a little bit handy at DIY
Every mount, fixed to full motion, will have some degree of bounce in a moving RV. Some more than others. Even the locking type of full motion mounts will bounce. So I always install some type of strapping/tie down mechanism in RVs to at least limit the bounce during travel. There are all types of TV tie downs available, or concoct your own.
If you employ some sort of tie down, your current slip mount might work just fine.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led