Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2017, 04:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
I will be glad to... I do over 90% of the driving and 100% of the backing while my husband plays navigator, DJ and babysitter to our DD. My DH can back if necessary. I can set up the whole outside, hook the rig up by myself if needed and even went to Mayberry a couple days in advance of DH. DH can drive and alternates with me on long trips, does the set up outside but knows the inside set up/take down as well. If she needs encouragement or driving lessons I'm happy to give them. I taught my DH an am willing to teach others.
I need lessons on backing. Retiring in a couple of months and want to take fiver out alone
2003 Ford F-250 super duty diesel
Vinemont, AL
Triple SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:32 PM   #22

I use a 2-step folding ladder and use it as a seat for various things such as leveling, retracting the pods.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:46 PM   #23

A few years ago, we were attending a conference around 500 miles from home when, as a result of what I thought was a minor accident two months earlier, I suffered a grand mal seizure while sitting on the RV's throne. The DW called 911 and had an argument with the dispatcher because she gave them a full description of were we were parked (behind the field house of the .......... community college) but didn't have an address for the place. When she was connected with the ambulance driver, he said that he knew exactly where we were parked and that, if needed, we could be located through the phone's automatic 911 GPS function.

The bad news: when they pulled me out of the bathroom, my pants with my wallet (insurance and ID cards) was left in the RV.

The good news: This was a one-time event and I had a full recovery with no long term effects. The DW is capable of driving the rig.

The miserable news: The hospital billed an extra $1500 because the insurance company said they should do that. The insurance company then paid the extra $1500. I complained to the hospital about this and never heard anything from them again about my copay. I also never did get a satisfactory answer from the insurance company about why they told the hospital to bill the extra money.

Moral:
If you get emergency medical care while travelling, make sure you get detailed billing from the provider. Your insurance company's Statement of Benefits usually won't tell you enough about the charges to determine everything you might want to know.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:05 PM   #24

Quote:
I will be glad to... I do over 90% of the driving and 100% of the backing while my husband plays navigator, DJ and babysitter to our DD. My DH can back if necessary. I can set up the whole outside, hook the rig up by myself if needed and even went to Mayberry a couple days in advance of DH. DH can drive and alternates with me on long trips, does the set up outside but knows the inside set up/take down as well. If she needs encouragement or driving lessons I'm happy to give them. I taught my DH an am willing to teach others.

That would be great. I need lessons in backing myself. I had gotten pretty good with the TT, but with the 5R, I'm still learning.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
That would be great. I need lessons in backing myself. I had gotten pretty good with the TT, but with the 5R, I'm still learning.
Never had a problem backing any size boat. Backing a TT came quickly. I still struggle with the 35' 5er and next week pick up a new 42' 5er. Sadly, no place to practice so lessons would not hurt.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your ankle. Hopefully it will heal quickly. Not to sound preachy but this is why I am a big believer in having your traveling companion learn to drive your rig and both should know how to set up and take down everything because you never know what can happen.

Hope you heal quickly and no set backs.

Now for traveling companion know how to drive and set up: I totally agree! We bought a 5er last Oct. Have not used it much since hubby on Ship. I keep on telling him I have to know how to do things just in case we are camping and he gets recalled. He goes so far then he loses his patience with me. Not that I am dumb but I am new at this he is not. Plus in about 5 years we plan on full timing, uh Dear I better know how to do it specially then.
Dorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrie View Post
Hope you heal quickly and no set backs.

Now for traveling companion know how to drive and set up: I totally agree! We bought a 5er last Oct. Have not used it much since hubby on Ship. I keep on telling him I have to know how to do things just in case we are camping and he gets recalled. He goes so far then he loses his patience with me. Not that I am dumb but I am new at this he is not. Plus in about 5 years we plan on full timing, uh Dear I better know how to do it specially then.
Have someone else teach you. They will probably have more patience than a spouse. My husband got sick on the way home once and I had to drive and get into and out of the gas station. I still have not tried to back it in anywhere.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:47 PM   #28

Hope you're mending well.

If they gave you vicodin or something you might want to save one for the ride Sunday when you are in the navigator's seat and stomp on the "brake".
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:26 AM   #29

Yes I bought that same step to keep in the 5ver and I love it. Bought 1 for home too.
Crusader 816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:08 AM   #30

Release Tool

When I used to pull big rigs, I used to have a tool that I could release the 5th wheel hitch without getting under the trailer. It would probably work for you and many others. I have a round pull handle but some have flat ones on their hitch. The idea is to weld or bolt an eyelet to the handle so the end of the tool goes in there and you can give it a good yank. Ask any OTR driver at any truck stop and I bet they have one to show you. No more getting on a ladder if you can reach over the side. I know most of the new trucks are pretty tall.

Heal fast and be kind to the DW as she gets you home. Every man needs a good woman. Sounds like you have one there.

2017 Flagstaff 8529 IKBS Classic Platinum Edition
Beauty and Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:43 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty and Beast View Post
When I used to pull big rigs, I used to have a tool that I could release the 5th wheel hitch without getting under the trailer. It would probably work for you and many others. I have a round pull handle but some have flat ones on their hitch. The idea is to weld or bolt an eyelet to the handle so the end of the tool goes in there and you can give it a good yank. Ask any OTR driver at any truck stop and I bet they have one to show you. No more getting on a ladder if you can reach over the side. I know most of the new trucks are pretty tall.

Heal fast and be kind to the DW as she gets you home. Every man needs a good woman. Sounds like you have one there.
Now THAT got my attention. Never thought of this.

Seems you wouldn't have to bolt/weld it on there permanently, just drill a hole and make a stick with a peg in the end of it.

But........I'd still have to crawl up there to undo the pin holding the handle down first.....right??

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:22 PM   #32

I do not know how yours is set up but mine has a lever that flops over and fits in a groove that goes around the pull handle (Reese 16K). I could reach this with the tool and flop it to the unlock position.

2017 Flagstaff 8529 IKBS Classic Platinum Edition
Beauty and Beast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg