Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2021, 03:51 PM   #1

5th wheel basement capacity

I'm kind of a comparison/numbers kind of person and have been searching for actual numbers addressing 5th wheel basement storage capacity. My goal is to do a comparison to that verses the amount of storage in the back of a long bed pick-up with a topper on it. Finding measurements for the trucks and toppers is pretty easy to find, but I cannot find anything in specifications of 5th wheels that quotes basement capacity in cubic feet or any other measurement.

All that said, where can one find those numbers?
cruisintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:40 PM   #2

Finding actual numbers will be tough as every floorplan will not have the same size storage area, front living rooms and kitchens seem to have smaller storage areas, plus that is one reasons now they raise the rear area to offer room there.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:46 PM   #3

True statements, buuuuut, some engineer drew each and every one of those floor plans so they already have that information (volume). Why don't they make it available?

The thing that brought this to my attention was trying to determine if I will have more storage space with a 5th wheel and partial bed space in a truck or practically no basement in a TT and 100% of the bed space with a topper. Based on measurements already found on the inter-weeb, I have determined the largest truck bed currently available only has 77cu.ft. Double that with a topper and you have 154 cu.ft. So, the problem is to compare the storage capacity of towing a 5th vs. TT with a long bed truck.

There are many other factors in my decision making process, but each part needs to be looked at.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisintx View Post
True statements, buuuuut, some engineer drew each and every one of those floor plans so they already have that information (volume). Why don't they make it available?

The thing that brought this to my attention was trying to determine if I will have more storage space with a 5th wheel and partial bed space in a truck or practically no basement in a TT and 100% of the bed space with a topper. Based on measurements already found on the inter-weeb, I have determined the largest truck bed currently available only has 77cu.ft. Double that with a topper and you have 154 cu.ft. So, the problem is to compare the storage capacity of towing a 5th vs. TT with a long bed truck.

There are many other factors in my decision making process, but each part needs to be looked at.
IMO if your considering the loss of space with a truck topper you might be carrying too much stuff.

I would suggest finding a 5th wheel you like and measure the storage compartments and determine if it fits your needs.

You can also pack around the 5th wheel hitch especially with a long box. A 32gal waste tote fits perfectly between the hitch and tailgate. The concern comes when you start trying to pack items the raise over the bed rail.
asr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:35 AM   #5

Iv owned 3 5th wheels and on everyone of them had different storage space as other poster said find model you like and measure it.i dont believe that the guy designed them probably wasn't concerned with storage.
Gmoney67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmoney67 View Post
Iv owned 3 5th wheels and on everyone of them had different storage space as other poster said find model you like and measure it.i dont believe that the guy designed them probably wasn't concerned with storage.
X2....I'm on my third 5'er too and all had/have different basement storage numbers. You simply will not find any published storage dimensions for any RV on the market. Go see the models in which you're most interested and bring a tape measure. I'm certain many folks don't consider it all that much when buying an RV and are looking at the many other features and functions.

I can think of one big reason to want my 5'er with my long bed versus a TT with a truck cap. I hate packing and unpacking to and from trips. Once you load up your gear in the 5'er basement storage, you leave it there. No need to pack and unpack stuff from the back of your truck for every camping trip like you would have to do with a TT. Plus, all the stuff in the 5'er basement storage is in a climate controlled area, unlike the bed of a truck. It's also much easier to get to your gear with multiple access doors on a 5'er than having to make your way to stuff under a bed cap that's stored right behind the truck cab.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:34 AM   #7

Another thing to consider when loading your bed with items and towing a 5th wheel is wind turbulence and what could possibly become airborne and leave ( or try to leave ) the bed.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:35 AM   #8

I have to admit, making a decision on what type of RV to buy based on combined RV/TV storage is something that would never occur to me But interesting.
Fifth wheels will usually have more available storage than a comparable size TT. How much? Depends on the model.
As for storage in the truck bed. You still have truck bed storage in either option. One can be covered, the other won't. I don't see much difference for our style of RVing (mainly boondocking). We carry all kinds of extra fuel/water cans, firewood, and propane bottles that I wouldn't want under a bed cover in an enclosed space.
I would always go with a fifth wheel for a myriad of other reasons as they have always had more storage than we ever use. Our current fifth wheel is 10 years old and still has 2 empty overhead cabinets
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Another thing to consider when loading your bed with items and towing a 5th wheel is wind turbulence and what could possibly become airborne and leave ( or try to leave ) the bed.
That's why there are tie downs you can use ratchet straps on
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:59 AM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
I don't mean think snarky or snotty- but it's not available because I the masses don't care about that level of detail. They publish specs that matter to the masses. I look at the basement size when I inspect a fifth wheel for suitability, but I never thought to look up the specs on it.

Knowing how full a truck bed can be and the size of the front storage, I can't see how a TT with at truck topper would win. Even if it does, all of the space in the truck bed/topper isn't as convenient as grabbing it from the fifth wheel basement, especially when the wife runs out with the truck. (That's happened to a friend - he didn't have most of his tools while his wife was touring/out running errands because most were stored in truck toolboxes.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	42731118825_9b3cf183f3_k_d[1].jpg
Views:	87
Size:	544.1 KB
ID:	263619  
Old 09-29-2021, 12:51 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Your question is addressed to the wrong audience. Owners of RVs can't answer why manufacturers don't make 5th wheel basement volume specs/information available to the buying public. After you've been here a while, you'll come to realize that owners of most RV products don't know why manufacturers don't make electrical wiring diagrams and plumbing blueprints available to the buying public... but they don't. We're also not sure they even keep such information.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 02:26 PM   #12

I can’t provide numbers, but those fifth wheels with the raised rear sections (FL, RK) have a heck of a lot of storage at the back. Definitely more than a pick up with a topper. And much easier access to the cargo, especially with the rear pull out tray that holds 800 lbs.
Max Tow (10 speed, 3:73, 11,700lbs), HD Payload (2440lbs)
2015 Puma 253 FBS
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
2000 Honda EX 400, Rad Rover 6 Plus
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 02:39 PM   #13

Thanks y'all

I want to thank all who have responded so far. I am so new to the RV world, I had to start asking questions and some of those may not be relevant to real world RVing. What I see here is that even though my questions and thinking may have been a bit off target, all of the responses have provided me with a great deal of knowledge and information I had not previously thought of.

SO a great big

T H A N K Y O U!

to everyone and keep the advice coming. I want to be as fully informed as possible before letting go of so much of my retirement money.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:44 PM   #14

Also when considering a 5th wheel brand/ Floor plan, those with dropped "Z" Frame construction will usually offer more basement storage than without. Also ease of storage accessibility is a big factor. Crawling around the truck bed is less desirable than for us, grabbing something from a basement storage bin.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 02:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimchaSabre View Post
Also when considering a 5th wheel brand/ Floor plan, those with dropped "Z" Frame construction will usually offer more basement storage than without. Also ease of storage accessibility is a big factor. Crawling around the truck bed is less desirable than for us, grabbing something from a basement storage bin.

By some manufacturers, these models may be touted as "full profile" full time suited 5'ers. Whereas the models with a straight frame may be labeled as "Mid profile". But, as mentioned above, floor plan & layout (location) of the battery(s), hydraulic pump & reservoir (if equipped) and if you desire a model with a factory installed generator are ALL factors in total storage space available.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 02:57 PM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimchaSabre View Post
Also when considering a 5th wheel brand/ Floor plan, those with dropped "Z" Frame construction will usually offer more basement storage than without.
My fear is I just had a buddy who's Z-frame gave way to the rest of the frame.

I know it's rare, but it sure scared me off of the idea of them.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:43 PM   #17

I have a front living room model. That load n the truck is maybe 20% of what I can store. The front compartment is not huge but not tiny either. However the rear compartment is like a cave. There are 4 side compartments too. For the weight number I’d have to check exact but know it’s over 3400#. I have a Montana 3761 DP but FR will have a similar model. We are traveling 7 months all seasons and never remove anything lots of storage room and capacity
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:24 PM   #18

hands down 5thwheel has more storage. maybe some epic short ones are close. to a trailer but that is going to be far and few

#1 it's already packed, in the trailer. and if you organize it you can get to it.

#2 a good 80 % of your bed is still usable. I usually throw the firewood in the truck.

#3 the Floorplans usually have more inside storage and taller roofline with storage bins.

#4... 5th are usually shorter overall length compared to bumper pull to top it off.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:00 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
I want to thank all who have responded so far. I am so new to the RV world, I had to start asking questions and some of those may not be relevant to real world RVing. What I see here is that even though my questions and thinking may have been a bit off target, all of the responses have provided me with a great deal of knowledge and information I had not previously thought of.

SO a great big

T H A N K Y O U!

to everyone and keep the advice coming. I want to be as fully informed as possible before letting go of so much of my retirement money.
Take some advice and THOROUGHLY do your RV homework before buying one.
Right now would be the worse time in history, to buy a RV.
There are thousands of threads here, about disappointed new owners, who bought "Covid Campers".
Do some searches and read some of these threads of these threads.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:05 AM   #20

yep, I have been researching since October of 2019. This question just came up recently so I dove into it. The responses here have all been very enlightening. Now just have to wait & see what prices do over the next 1 to 2 years. Hoping to be traveling with an RV by the time my wife retires in May of 2023. So, yeah, I'm approaching it like my day rides on the bike being retired--got no place to go and all day to get there.

Tags
5th wheel, wheel