Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2018, 01:10 PM   #1

5th wheel or driveable?

Thinking about a new camper. Currently in a 2017 Roo hybrid. Wife wants to hear from owners of 5th wheels and driveables about pros and cons of both. I know it can be a personal preference, but I'd like to know what you like and don't like about your rig. Thanks in advance!

Bob and Gail
2017 Rockwood Roo23IKSS
Outta the Poconos
Bobrmirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:30 PM   #2

I prefer the 5th wheel, I always feel that the livability is better which of course means finding the floor plan that suits your needs, Others prefer the motor home for comforts while traveling, meaning kitchen and bath are both available while in travel. Plus I would rather tow a camper then the car behind a coach, keep in mind I have never done that but I also drove tractor trailers for work so that also leans me towards the 5th wheel. Good luck in your search
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:32 PM   #3

Check out our rally we are having, you could gather really useful information if you join us, Only one site left but I am sure your current unit will fit.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ly-142980.html
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:41 PM   #4

Drive your house and pull your vehicle........or drive your vehicle and pull your house.

Former is more expensive. Latter has more cubic feet of livable space, maybe more storage (?).

I don't see how to answer this since the world is about 40/60 (my guess) and both 40 and 60 seem pretty happy.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:53 PM   #5

We went with a fifth wheel. I couldn't justify having a expensive vehicle sitting at home when not camping. I can use the truck for other chores around the house.

When camping we can disconnect the fifth wheel and site see in the truck and fill up with gas without the fifth wheel.

If you get a motor home you would need to tow a toad or rent a car at your destination. Many places are not motor home friendly. We even have problems sometimes with our truck, like finding a parking spaces in San Francisco and Seattle. Not to mention driving Needles Highway in South Dakota.

Ford F150 5.4L B&W Companion Hitch
updated to Andersen Aluminum Ultimate Hitch 2017
drelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:55 PM   #6
Site Team

We looked at A's, C's, & 5er's. No.1 reason for choosing the 5er; bathroom. Never found a comfortable bathroom in any of the drivable's we looked at. Plenty of 5er's (& towables) have comfortable baths.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:33 PM   #7

We considered both and then sat down and listed the things we like to do and places to go.

WE like to drive to a camping spot and park then either bicycle around or drive to see things or golf when we are not fishing.

The motorhome does not lend itself to our preferred activities. If you already have a towable vehicle that may be the make or break point.

Have a discussion and you will figure it out.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:36 PM   #8

You buy a motorhome to drive and a fiver to park! If you plan to park it for a long time, a fiver, if you want to move all the time, a motorhome. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:08 PM   #9

She can use the bathroom in a motorhome while you are driving.
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:42 PM   #10

oddly I just wrote this

*Forest River Forums*>*Forest River Community Forums*>*General Community Discussions*Reservations or not?

May I add the trip begins when the coach rolls, not when it land....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:54 PM   #11

Main reason we went to a motorhome was so we could both drive, we can make 2x the miles now. If you have to buy a new truck it may not be more $$$ to have a class c.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobrmirch View Post
Thinking about a new camper. Currently in a 2017 Roo hybrid. Wife wants to hear from owners of 5th wheels and driveables about pros and cons of both. I know it can be a personal preference, but I'd like to know what you like and don't like about your rig. Thanks in advance!

Bob and Gail
2017 Rockwood Roo23IKSS
Outta the Poconos
The difference in my mind with the three choices are that, with the MoHo unless towing a toad you are locked into your site after setup. I would not like to break camp when I want to go buy more firewood.

YMMV
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:11 PM   #13
World Wide Wanderer

We have had both and other stuff in between. The fiver had better interior layout and more storage than our current Class C. However the Class C fits our travel plans better now than a trailer. Different horses for different courses.

When we had the fifth wheel we would take it and park for a couple weeks or even months at a time and live in it for work. I don't need that anymore, so with the Class C we drive to the lake for a weekend, or go to a resort campground for a week at a time. We also use it for weekend volunteer events, just drive to the event, park and have a place to hang out that is completely self contained. When we travel quite often my bride will be in the back working on sewing crafts or prepping something for dinner. She can go to the bathroom, watch TV with out our having to stop, I like having the bathroom available without having to go outside in crappy weather.

There is no right answer, just the one that will work for you.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:36 PM   #14
Site Team

As Aaron says "There is no right answer, just the one that will work for you."

We don't want to buy and maintain two engines. Our style of RVing is a combination of one night stops on the way to some destination (in which case we don't usually unhitch during those one nighters) and going to some destination and staying a couple of weeks (in which case we unhitch and go wherever we choose in our truck). As far as we know, we'll never switch to a motor home unless we win one in a Dynamax give-away!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:56 PM   #15

Less vehicle maintenance with a fiver, with a MH you have two vehicles to maintain, register and insurance.
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:23 PM   #16

That's a preference up to the user. I have owned both and like both. You should rent each one for a weekend and try it for yourself. Then you will only have yourself to blame if you purchase the wrong one.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:24 PM   #17

All of the above x2.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:30 PM   #18

We really liked the Class As and Cs but couldn't justify a TOAD. Unless you have the bucks to rent a vehicle for a week or two Class A or C didn't make sense. We got a 5r, the TV makes a lot more sense, second useful vehicle at home.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:31 PM   #19

Remember you asked!!! We love our fifth wheel for reasons already mentioned. One motor, more space, more freedom to come and go. When sitting in yard we use it as a cottage for extra company. As far as being able to use the bathroom while driving, do you know how many boxes of Depends you could buy compared to the extra expense of a MC? Plus I would want my DH to stop after driving so long so that he could stretch HIS legs and we can see things in this beautiful country instead of the inside of our vehicles. Plus I feel that every wife should learn EVERYTHING about the operation of either vehicle including how to drive it. You just never know what could happen that your DH can’t do anymore. Plus isn’t it the reason why we bought a house on wheels? To travel?????
alicemerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:45 PM   #20

We have a Class C MH and love it. I have a 2016 Chevy Equinox that is our everyday ride and also our toad. My wife likes the ability of being able to lounge around on either the couch or bed instead of a car seat. We travel a lot, but if I were planning on staying at one location for more than a week, I would probably go with 5er. As far as costs go if you don't have a tow vehicle and have to buy one and a large 5er, you have spent more money than for MH. It is all in what you plan on doing in the long run.
radman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wheel