Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2020, 08:59 AM   #21

Interesting question and informative answers - thanks to all for the info. We also live on a cul de sac and parking the TT requires a 90 degree back in turn to get it into the initial position. I have made it a habit to jack up each wheel once it's parked to relieve the stress.

Now I will begin to be diligent on checking the suspension pieces to hopefully avoid any on the road failures. Always learning new things on this forum - thanks to all for posting!
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
Interesting question and informative answers - thanks to all for the info. We also live on a cul de sac and parking the TT requires a 90 degree back in turn to get it into the initial position. I have made it a habit to jack up each wheel once it's parked to relieve the stress.

Now I will begin to be diligent on checking the suspension pieces to hopefully avoid any on the road failures. Always learning new things on this forum - thanks to all for posting!
Jacking each wheel will certainly relieve any lateral stress, but so will a relatively short run straight back or straight forward............It is faster and easier as well.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Jacking each wheel will certainly relieve any lateral stress, but so will a relatively short run straight back or straight forward............It is faster and easier as well.
Sometimes, when I get my rv parked it is at an angle in the driveway so the lateral stresses don’t easily come out. Luckily I have the Lippert 6 point level up system so I just lift one side at a time.
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:16 PM   #24
Site Team

If at all possible, pull forward a few feet and back again relieve torque and stress. Even if you have to unhook, back truck in straight and re-hitch. Then back and forth a few times.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:53 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Sometimes, when I get my rv parked it is at an angle in the driveway so the lateral stresses don’t easily come out. Luckily I have the Lippert 6 point level up system so I just lift one side at a time.
That is cheating
Old 08-27-2020, 10:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2pfunk View Post
So after replacing all of the shackles, bushings, wet bolts, etc., having both axles aligned - and replacing some Endurance tires that were worn unevenly due to the bad suspension parts - I am wondering how much of this was just wear from use vs. unnecessary damage I have caused.
So my question is, do you think this is doing additional damage? Or are these things built to handle it?
Last year I had an opportunity to watch a triple axle toy hauler back his rig at a 90deg angel. The center axle tires did just fine. But the side wall flex of the front and back axles was scary to watch. I thought they were going to pop the bead. That just can't be good for the tire or the suspension. I know yours is only a two axle, but the stress must be similar. I'd suggest you get someone to video it with their phone so you can see for yourself what your rig is doing.
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
This was my first thought when I saw the title of the thread. The tires take a beating in tight turns. I have always done my best to pull forward/ back straight up a couple times after pulling into tight spots. This should unload the side force on the tires. Especially important (IMO) when parking for extended periods.

I for sure try to take the stress off when parking. After I make the tight turn, I have over 100' of straight driveway. And I pull forward/back a time or two to make sure the stress is off of the suspension. I definitely learned this from other posts on here!
Old 08-27-2020, 11:36 PM   #28

Quote:
So after replacing all of the shackles, bushings, wet bolts, etc., having both axles aligned - and replacing some Endurance tires that were worn unevenly due to the bad suspension parts - I am wondering how much of this was just wear from use vs. unnecessary damage I have caused.

Whenever I bring the camper home, I back it into the driveway and it's a hard 90 degree turn. Obviously, this drags the trailer axles a bit as it leaves skid marks when I make the turn. We almost always camp in state park campgrounds which have VERY narrow roadways. Backing into the sites is often the same thing. I'm making a hard 90 into the site - to the point where I am almost nearly jackknifed.

So my question is, do you think this is doing additional damage? Or are these things built to handle it?

My trailer is a 2015 Coachmen Catlina 273tbs. It's got about 20k miles on it.
My axles are a bit apart. Turning sharply forward or reverse, especially on a hard surface, tweaks it so much that it appears in my mirror as if the axle is 'turning' like the steering on a car. If in gravel, you can hear the tire scooting sideways. It will probably lead to tire failure eventually. Good reason to inspect tires and replace at least every five years regardless of mileage.
Try to reduce your angle of attack when you can. Once in position, pull straight forward or backward to try to reduce the stress on the tires.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:06 AM   #29

I own commercial trucks. Many of the trailer axles can lift. Before sharp backing, we lift as many as possible to reduce drag. Have had to replace several axles and tires due to the drag of making sharp turns. So yes, your turning is having an effect on your tires and axles. And trailer axles are not nearly as robust as commercial truck axles.
sweetbillebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:19 AM   #30

The rears take the brunt of the forces. Yesterday I hooked mine up to take it in for repairs. It has only seen the road when delivered, and when taking home so the tires are essentially brand new. When removing the x-chocks I noticed on the rear set all the inner tread lugs show scuffing at the edges where they were scrubbed along the pavement when back or turning. It's a good idea to rotate the tires fore/aft every so often because of this. With a trailer weighing 10K or more with a pair of axles, it's a good idea to beef up the suspension, at the very least the shackle straps, and install wet bolts. It's a project for next year for me, either Morryde, or Dexter EZ Flex to replace the solid equalizer. Not only does upgrading these handle the stress better, they also add cushioning for a smoother ride and take out the bounce.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:26 AM   #31
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I have actually seen two different times someone roll the tire right off the rim when making a 90º turn on asphalt with dual axles. KABOOM!

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=19
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:35 AM   #32

Quote:
if at all possible, pull forward a few feet and back again relieve torque and stress. Even if you have to unhook, back truck in straight and re-hitch. Then back and forth a few times.
best info on this thread... X2

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:05 PM   #33

We forgetting something here ? Not only with a sharp turn, but every Right and Left turn you ever make is applying forces to your wheels and axles as is ALWAYS the case with DUAL axles as the tires are not rotating at the same speed and directional forces are different on each tire.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:28 PM   #34

FWIW, I read that putting some common plastic garbage bags down will relieve a bunch of the stress on a tight turn. Obviously not for out on the road but doable when at home. I think I saw the info in a post from people talking about using a dolly to push their trailer into a tight parking spot.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:58 PM   #35

Quote:
some common plastic garbage bags down will relieve a bunch of the stress on a tight turn. Obviously not for out on the road but doable when at home. I think I saw the info in a post from people talking about using a dolly to push their trailer into a tight parking spot.
that sounds like a great idea PLASTIC BAGS on pavement... maybe even something like a piece of HD tarp on the ground with a lighter duty tarp or plastic bag on top would work and not be used up completely each time

I have a gravel drive and my tight turn stress is mitigated by loose gravel... pulling forward a bit when I can while continuing the turn ( I sometimes have to unhitch, realign my hitch ball from a bit different direction, re-hook the hitch ball) and continue backing again to relieve some of the stress on the dual wheels

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:47 PM   #36

Water the driveway first
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:19 PM   #37

Quote:

Whenever I bring the camper home, I back it into the driveway and it's a hard 90 degree turn. Obviously, this drags the trailer axles a bit as it leaves skid marks when I make the turn. We almost always camp in state park campgrounds which have VERY narrow roadways. Backing into the sites is often the same thing. I'm making a hard 90 into the site - to the point where I am almost nearly jackknifed.

My trailer is a 2015 Coachmen Catlina 273tbs. It's got about 20k miles on it.
90 degrees?? Are you sure about that.. to me you'd be jackknifing way before 90deg, unless it's a 5th wheel of course.. but, either way.. tons of pressure are being exerted on dry pavement in a tight turn... you can usually see your tires flexing, & in a real tight turn, the axles actually will shift somewhat.. where the front axle will be 2 or more inches offset from the 2nd axle.. very hard on spring hangers..
This is why they say never to do "lift kits" on trailers.. way too much pressure on that block & u-bolts.. but that, is a totally different topic
lilmikey_ab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer