Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2019, 03:33 PM   #1

A/C air from ducts smells mildew

I am full time in my 2015 Sierra FR 5r...i had a leak and corrected. No more leaks I have found. But everytime the AC is on, it has a strong mildew odor that blows in through each vent in all rooms. I wondered if anyone had a suggestion as to what i could check with removing ceiling or roof...which is almost not possible at the moment but i am afraid it is dangerous to my health...i would appreciate any help...
Thanks
Sierra34ck
sierra34K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra34K View Post
I am full time in my 2015 Sierra FR 5r...i had a leak and corrected. No more leaks I have found. But everytime the AC is on, it has a strong mildew odor that blows in through each vent in all rooms. I wondered if anyone had a suggestion as to what i could check with removing ceiling or roof...which is almost not possible at the moment but i am afraid it is dangerous to my health...i would appreciate any help...
Thanks
Sierra34ck
Lysol disinfect spray into the return air vent while the unit is running. . Also go to auto supply store and buy a fresh air bomb. Just like a bug bomb at home.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Thanks
Sierra34ck
More then likely it not in the duct system, the frist thing to do is buy evaporator coil cleaner and go up and clean that coil. I have HVAC for a long time before I retired in 97. Don't be tearing up anything until you do that. If you can't do it hirer a HVAC company to clean your coil, and while your doing that clean the drain pan under the coil...good luck

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:30 PM   #4

Thank you guys so much...I will be checking into these suggestions and doing...I sure thought the worse...like there had to be mold up there that couldn't dry out...whew...maybe this works!!! In Sept 2017 the a/c unit stopped working properly so forever warranty paid to replace and the maintenance group I used installed. I had that odor since but not as strong...seem to come and go...I questioned them the next year but was pushed off or avoided...it has slowly gotten really bad...do you think there is anything they should do about this? Thanks
Old 03-06-2019, 06:19 PM   #5

Well not really, they will say you havnt been performing maintenance, it's really to late now. I think if you clean that coil and drain pan you will be fine, at least I hope so, there is no possible way to clean any ducts. To get mold you would have to really wet air, and normally that would stop 3' in. Same as a home system. Good luck let us know how it go's, but I really think you will be fine...safe travels, and enjoy some clean air...[emoji16][emoji41][emoji196]

Old 03-06-2019, 06:24 PM   #6

Also you will probably see some gel in the drain pan that is from the action between aluminum and condensation, clean that out good and clean the drain, if it is plugged you could also be smelling that and it can be nasty

Old 03-06-2019, 06:27 PM   #7

Also not to bore you but when the industry changed from copper coils to aluminum back In the late 80s or early 90s this has been a problem, they said the transfer was better, B'S it was cheaper.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:28 PM   #8

Witch Doctor, thank you so much for the info...but to clarify the rv repair I use is for my maintenance every year...so I would have thought they would have thought of this...but I will try to find an HVAC guy to give a look...i sure hope this is all it is!! Thank you again for answering!!! I really appreciate you!
Old 03-07-2019, 01:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Witch Doctor, thank you so much for the info...but to clarify the rv repair I use is for my maintenance every year...so I would have thought they would have thought of this...but I will try to find an HVAC guy to give a look...i sure hope this is all it is!! Thank you again for answering!!! I really appreciate you!
Not that I know of most service tech's are not going to pull your a.c. apart to clean the coil and drain pan, if they do hang on to them they are exceptional. I hope that is your problem , sure sounds like it. Is your a.c. a heat pump?

Old 03-07-2019, 07:45 AM   #10

Gosh! I am 60 years old and I dont know...I bought this on emotions 🙄 and know so little about how to take care of this...but I do have a guy😁 but only so much he can do...I have always had these sorts things on routine check at my home so I guess this isn't in routine check...lol...but gonna give them a call today and see if they will check on this while we are not predicted rain!! My goal is to find a location I can move to and put under a roof....I think that would solve a lot of my fears...I do know water is not your friend in these metal boxes!! Thank you and I do believe you are the Witch Doctor!!! ❤
Old 03-07-2019, 08:02 AM   #11

Try a product called Concrobium from Home Depot. Read the reviews. Works.
billywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:11 AM   #12

Thank you!
Old 03-07-2019, 08:18 AM   #13

I am sorry to bother you again but for some reason I trust your opinion...I just heard back from the RV repair company that I have been very pleased with and they said because they are so fragile they dont do this cleaning...so now I wonder since they installed the darn thing 2 years ago why would they be scared to touch it? I dont think you would have said I could do it if it were so fragile! Now I must find someone else and would all HVAC guys know to be careful up there?? Lord have mercy...🤨
Old 03-07-2019, 08:29 AM   #14

Yes, home depot has a spray on product, probably not as strong as a HVAC person can get, but it would probably help, the unit is not that fragile don't understand that. I 'll try to post a screen shot of what an average consumer can buy.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190307-082425.jpeg
Views:	172
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	198215

Old 03-07-2019, 08:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Yes, home depot has a spray on product, probably not as strong as a HVAC person can get, but it would probably help, the unit is not that fragile don't understand that. I 'll try to post a screen shot of what an average consumer can buy.Attachment 198215
By the way where do you live? High humidity can cause that problem also

Old 03-07-2019, 11:03 AM   #16
Trailer Park Supervisor

I'm new to the whole RV AC thing, but my home window A/C unit gets a weird fishy smell If I don't clean the coils every year. I use the foaming aerosol stuff you can get at any hardware store, works well. Disgusting how much stuff comes off when you hose the coils off.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:39 AM   #17

Another "Chemical Free" route is to rent an ozone generator.

These are used by restoration companies, property management companies, and homeowners who want to mitigate smoke odor (from a fire or just cigarette smoke) that lingers in a house. Also used to mitigate mold/mildew odor.

I had the mold/mildew issue from a slow leak under a sink. After repairing the leak and damage I used an ozone generator to remove lingering odor and prevent future mold growth. Closed up the area and ran the ozone generator for three hours.

For the A/C duct issue I'd put the ozone generator in the RV, turn on A/C Fan, close up unit and run the Ozone Generator for a couple hours. They have timers on them so they shut of when desired time is up. Leave the RV closed up with a/C still circulating air. After a dozen hours (like overnight) open up the RV and give it a good airing out. DO NOT REMAIN while ozone treatment is in progress. Only after the unit is aired out will it be safe to occupy.

Ozone will kill mold spores as well as mitigating other odors that have settled in.

Car detailers use them to remove the harsh smell of BO, Cigarettes, Cigars, and even vomit from vehicles.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:42 PM   #18

Thanks Witch Doctor...I am going to try calling a few HVAC guys is area next and see if they can help. They messaged me back and said they would come out and TRY to clean....not going to pay for try! I have two units so I want both checked...I feel sure this is probably the problem...sitting water is the most awful smell and I had no idea there was a drip pan up there...I live in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida. Thanks again!!
Old 03-07-2019, 12:43 PM   #19

Thank you!
Old 03-07-2019, 12:44 PM   #20

Thanks Titan Mike and NjKris