Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #1

A/C and Generator Question

I have a 2014 Forest River Cherokee Limited. We also have a Troy Bilt 6250 Watt generator with 8500 Starting Watts. The generator ran the entire camper just fine, however when we went to the races this weekend (boondocking) we turned off everything except the interior fridge and turned on the A/C. When we returned after 8 hours the generator was still running but it was hotter than hell in the camper as the A/C was not cold. We have had this camper a month and the week before when we were plugged into the campsite the A/C worked fine. The camper was plugged into the 30AMP Generator plug and nothing tripped on the camper or the generator. So why was the A/C not working off the generator. We bought this generator because the dealer told us that that wattage would run the entire camper and it did all except for the AC, which we need it to do also. Please let me know why this did not work? Thanks.

Rob
rwmission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:45 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Can you post a picture of the electrical panel on the generator?

I think I may know your problem.

Ok I found your gennie listed on troy bilts website.

Were you plugged into the locking 120/240 volt plug in?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #3

Yes I was. The locking 30AMP plug and the switch on the front was on providing power to everything else in the camper. I do not have a pic of it, but what are you thinking may be the issue?
Old 07-15-2014, 08:56 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmission View Post
Yes I was. The locking 30AMP plug and the switch on the front was on providing power to everything else in the camper. I do not have a pic of it, but what are you thinking may be the issue?
Unfortunately that plug is 30 amp only at the the 240 v side.
When used for 120v its only 15 amp.

The dealer didnt know what he was talking about.

I had this same problem with my 6800 watt gennie and the same situation and what I had to do was take my generator to a generator guru who removed that plug and replaced it with a rv 30 amp plug and then he rewired the generator at that plug for 120 v 30 amp.

On cooler overcast days it'll probably run the a/c but hot humid sunny days it'll never happen.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:58 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Your a/c requires a minimum of 18 amps to start on a mild day.
And runs around 12-14
Old 07-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Pm sent.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:00 AM   #7

I don't understand though, we have a gender changer plug we got a camping world that plugs into the rv cord and makes it the twist lock for the generator. The plug on the generator says that it is 30 amp 120/240 volt, so it should work correct? This is our first camper so bear with me in my lack of knowledge.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Just so others know the plug in question is 120v/240v 30 amp but its only 30 amp on the 240v side, since hes using the 120v side its only 15 amp

Tags
generator