Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2019, 04:26 PM   #1

A/C fan question

Is it safe to use the fan-only function of my a/c with only battery power available? I know not to try and run the compressor without 30-amp power or generator, but just wondering about the fan function. Thanks.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:37 PM   #2

The AC fan needs 120 volts ac to run. Will not run on 12 volts alone.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:06 PM   #3

You could try, but it won't turn on because it requires 120volts, not just 12volts, as from your batteries. Even coaches like mine with large inverters aren't wired to power the a/c unit, or it's fan, when on the inverter.

Generator? yes, no problem...
Shore Power? yes....even 'less than 30amps'? yes, the fan would operate, but if the a/c compressor tries to come on, it could trip the breaker if it's not a 20amp size.
Inverter? no
12v Battery power? no

but....never fear, there are actually both 12v table top/floor fans, or even 12v CEILING fans made for RVs : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:11 PM   #4

Thanks, guys.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:35 PM   #5

funny that you mentioned this today, too, as I LOVE fans, and we use them all over our coach to both assist the a/c unit(s), but also because I just love air 'blowing' on my all the time...

so, having normally used table-side small 120v fans for years, I finally decided that the bedroom needed a CEILING FAN...yes! but, I quickly also decided that the 'normal' ceiling fan might not work well trying to hang from and be mounted to the a/c unit's ceiling cover/thru mount bracket.

I did some research and found that while a short 'ceiling mount' type fan would work, but then realized that it's 'base cover' might hinder the air conditioner's return vent. I searched online for some ideas, and then visited a local Lowes.

'Lowe' and behold, they had a fan that I had not considered, but would work just right for this application... an 'outside' fan, like a ceiling fan, but enclosed with a wire frame, for protection from the spinning blades, the off/low/mid/high control on the front, and a 9' 120v cord, ready to just 'plug in'. It also comes with a typical 'down rod' type mount, too.

As I envisioned mounting and wiring this ceiling fan, I wanted to not only make an easy connection, and the ready-made plug surely made that an easier choice, but I also wanted the fan to work not only when on generator or shore power, like the a/c unit, but also when ONLY on the Inverter - so, therefore I couldn't tap into the 120v power wires within the a/c air box. But, what I also realized is that the a/c unit's air duct, which runs back to a circular vent right above our bed, also continues farther back, even to a point where the ready-made 120v ceiling fan cord could be chased down thru our above-bed cabinet, over to the bed-side cabinet, and down to an outlet below the cabinet, for a convenient place to plug in.

It all worked out just fine. The short down-rod connector on the ceiling fan provided a perfect 'flat-to-the-ceiling' mount to a steel hook installed thru a convenient hole provided in the a/c units air box. I did decide, though, to direct-wire the 120v cord to the backside of the cabinet outlet, thru a 1/2" hole I easily drilled thru the inside of the cabinet's floor. Now the fan is installed, looks factory, and is easily controlled by it's front-mount control, within easy reach from the bed, but safe from 'accidental' injury! - running anytime whether generator, shore, or inverter(batteries).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ceiling fan.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	204834  
Old 05-18-2019, 06:20 AM   #6

here's the fan type:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/allen-roth-...blade/50058309

Tags