Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2014, 08:32 AM   #1
jsk

A Little Help Please

First - in April we bought a Progressive portable 50a surge protector(EMS 50 PTC). It worked good first trip out and second trip it did not power up. Sent it in for repair and got it back. Tried it at home and all was good. We went on a 2 week trip and got to CG and it did not power up again. No lights on the display. After getting home I tried it again and nothing. After about an hour it came on. I would like to call tech support but the unit is working correctly. At times it does say PE10 which is replace surge. When I sent it in for repair the first time it had moisture in it.

Second - since April my heating element keeps going out. The gas side works fine. When dewinterizing the by pass valve failed. I thought water was in the tank by turning on faucet but did not check relief valve (lesson learned). Now the element lasts only a few days before going out. How can I solve this problem? I am wondering if water is exiting the tank faster than it is coming in. On out last trip the element went out during showers that were close together.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #2

Water heater: Don't seem possible that water could leave faster than it comes in since it is the incoming water that pushes out the water heater water. Heating element is at the bottom of the tank and would think that once the water was flowing it would be hard for it to get uncovered. I would look for a possible high voltage situation. Are you going to the same campground? Do you have a voltmeter other than the Progressive unit? Can you duplicate the heating element problem at home?
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #3
jsk

I agree about enter/exit water but had to ask because you never know. I have had elements fail at 3 different locations. At one of those locations the Progressive unit was working and hooked up. I do have a meter at home just not sure what to check.
Is there a board internally that I can not see or get to without pulling out the unit?

Thanks