Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
ladywendolyn

a little modification to the TV shelf

Hi,
I am wanting to modify the TV shelf in my trailer. It is above the fridge, and is about 20x24 inches. We do not watch tv, exept for the occasional movie, and as we will be pulling our trailer with our van we want to keep loaded weight to a minimum. So we have decided to scratch the tv idea and use this space another way.
One idea I had was to put a couple of baskets up there for bread and fruit etc. But I need a way to keep it from sliding off in transport. Our trailer has little decorative rails here and there (the kind you some times see on top of kitchen cupboards) about 2 inches high, dowels set about 3 inches apart.
I am thinking that mabe we could run this type of rail around the shelf and that would keep the baskets from falling off in transport.

Has anyone else ever done this? If so, do you know where I could by this railing (I am guessing custom kitchen places would have it, but I was hoping for cheaper if possible). Also does anyone use their t.v shelf for anything besides a t.v. or found a product to keep things in place? I am open to other possibilities that might work.
Thanks
Lady Wendolyn

21 ft Forrest River Shamrock
ladywendolyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #2

You can get that railing at a Home Depot ,Lowes, Menards, .They all sell it stained or unstained. Usually not real expensive.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:34 PM   #3

We have shelving in our Wildcat that has the decorative rail. We keep baskets on the shelves. We use the rubber shelf mat/liner as well and have never had any problem with the baskets leaving the shelves. If you still have a concern, put some non-breakable things up there and see how they ride.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #4
CampeRooo

Thats exactly what we do too...that rubber matting stuff works wonders.
We have a wood cutting board over our stove (no typical stove cover came with it) and with that matting...haven't had a problem yet.

joe

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:17 PM   #5
ladywendolyn

Thanks

Thank you for the info . . . We have Home Depot in Canada. I will try there.
ladywendolyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #6
Site Team

We use the rubber mat too. We've had glass canisters sitting on it on the kitchen counter since we bought it and have never had one fall off. The railing is a good idea too.